    it be downloaded? Free? I have Award BIOS.

    Thanks,

    James.

    James Haddow, Jan 23, 2004

  2. James Haddow

    Eric Guest

    Yes, it is possible. You can find one from the manufacturer of your
    motherboard, not from Award.
    As many people says, it is little bit risky to update BIOS, since once you
    mess, you have to either send it back to fix or start looking for a new
    board.
    regards,
    Eric

    "James Haddow" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was wondering if it's possible to update the BIOS to a later version,

    can

    Eric, Jan 23, 2004

  3. On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:34:31 +1100, James Haddow wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I was wondering if it's possible to update the BIOS to a later version,
    > can it be downloaded? Free? I have Award BIOS.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > James.

    Check your motherboard manufacturer's website for updates. That said, if
    updating your BIOS will not resolve any issues you have with the present
    one, it's probably best to leave it alone. If you do need to update to fix
    something, make sure you get the correct BIOS flash and follow the
    instructions exactly. If you flub it, or, say, you have a power failure
    while you're flashing the BIOS, you *may* render your motherboard
    unusable.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    Beer!!11!! The staff of life.

    The Old Sourdough, Jan 23, 2004
  4. James Haddow

    Logan Guest

    It's not a matter of you MAY render your board useless, you WILL render your
    board useless in the event of a power failure, dip in the power line or an
    error on your part.

    > Hi,
    >
    > I was wondering if it's possible to update the BIOS to a later version,

    can
    > it be downloaded? Free? I have Award BIOS.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > James.

    ---

    Logan, Jan 23, 2004
  5. James Haddow

    Flaccid Guest

    James Haddow wrote:

    > I was wondering if it's possible to update the BIOS to a later
    > version, can it be downloaded? Free? I have Award BIOS.

    I also have an Award BIOS and was told to download it from my
    motherboard's web site -- which doesn't have it (Gigabyte).
    All they had was a motherboard upgrade, which didn't update
    the Award BIOS version or any of its features (eg. all settings
    and options are the same when I hit DEL at bootup, even though
    the motherboard upgrade says a different number). So I'm 99%
    sure it wasn't an Award BIOS update that occurred, since the
    same Award version number (4.51PG) shows at bootup.

    Award wants to sell me an upgrade for US $25 or so. :(

    Flaccid, Jan 23, 2004
  6. James Haddow

    ICee Guest

    Flaccid wrote:
    > James Haddow wrote:
    >
    >> I was wondering if it's possible to update the BIOS to a later
    >> version, can it be downloaded? Free? I have Award BIOS.

    > I also have an Award BIOS and was told to download it from my
    > motherboard's web site -- which doesn't have it (Gigabyte).
    > All they had was a motherboard upgrade, which didn't update
    > the Award BIOS version or any of its features (eg. all settings
    > and options are the same when I hit DEL at bootup, even though
    > the motherboard upgrade says a different number). So I'm 99%
    > sure it wasn't an Award BIOS update that occurred, since the
    > same Award version number (4.51PG) shows at bootup.
    >
    > Award wants to sell me an upgrade for US $25 or so. :(

    It won't upgrade the version of the Award BIOS. It will upgrade the
    data in the BIOS chip itself. Award makes the basic BIOS, and each
    mothertboard manufacturer will update the data on it. The version of
    the manufacturers BIOS is embedded in the string of numbers at the
    bottom of the screen when the BIOS first comes up.
    Example:
    12/03/99-i815-W83627HF-6A69MA1AC-01. The number on the end (01 in this
    case) is usually the version of the BIOS (manufacturer, not Award).
    Not all manufacturers will have an update for the BIOS. They are only
    updated to fix specific problems and/or to support new hardware.
    There will not be any new selections in the BIOS.

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 23, 2004
  7. James Haddow

    Flaccid Guest

    ICee wrote:

    > The version of the manufacturers BIOS is embedded in the string of
    > numbers at the bottom of the screen when the BIOS first comes up.
    > Example: 12/03/99-i815-W83627HF-6A69MA1AC-01.

    Yep, that's the version info that changed after I flashed my BIOS
    with the file from Gigabyte's site. The Award BIOS version, which
    appears at the top of my screen, stayed the same.

    Thanks for the explanation -- but it begs the question: why were
    Award trying to sell me an upgrade for US $25 that does nothing?

    Flaccid, Jan 23, 2004
  8. James Haddow

    James Haddow Guest

    Thanks guys, I have now decided to keep it as is.

    Thankyou for all the information/advice, much appreciated.

    James.

    James Haddow, Jan 23, 2004
  9. Flaccid wrote:
    > ICee wrote:
    >
    >>The version of the manufacturers BIOS is embedded in the string of
    >>numbers at the bottom of the screen when the BIOS first comes up.
    >>Example: 12/03/99-i815-W83627HF-6A69MA1AC-01.

    > Yep, that's the version info that changed after I flashed my BIOS
    > with the file from Gigabyte's site. The Award BIOS version, which
    > appears at the top of my screen, stayed the same.
    >
    > Thanks for the explanation -- but it begs the question: why were
    > Award trying to sell me an upgrade for US $25 that does nothing?

    Caveat emptor... No one is going to turn down the chance to sell
    something for a profit that can be obtained freely somewhere else.

    When you say Award, do you perhaps mean Unicore?

    Michael J. Apollyon, Jan 23, 2004
  10. James Haddow

    Flaccid Guest

    Flaccid, Jan 23, 2004
  11. James Haddow

    ICee Guest

    Flaccid wrote:
    > ICee wrote:
    >
    >> The version of the manufacturers BIOS is embedded in the string of
    >> numbers at the bottom of the screen when the BIOS first comes up.
    >> Example: 12/03/99-i815-W83627HF-6A69MA1AC-01.

    > Yep, that's the version info that changed after I flashed my BIOS
    > with the file from Gigabyte's site. The Award BIOS version, which
    > appears at the top of my screen, stayed the same.
    >
    > Thanks for the explanation -- but it begs the question: why were
    > Award trying to sell me an upgrade for US $25 that does nothing?

    There are newer versions of the 'generic' Award BIOS. It's at least to
    version 6.00. However, the manufacturer of the MB would have to support
    the new Award BIOS version with an update for that specific version.
    I've not seen that done in the past 8 years, although it could happen.

    Award probably just wanted to sell you a BIOS chip, as Michael said.

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 23, 2004