is it possible to burn DVD-R onto a DVD+R disc?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Dr Nick, Oct 17, 2006.

  1. Dr Nick

    Dr Nick Guest

    I havea client that wants a DVD-R copied (wants 5 copies) well he left me a
    buch of DVD's turns out they are DVD+R. Normally I don't even pay attention
    to what kind of DVD they are (+ or -) but Nero keeps saying that this
    compliattion needs to be burned to a DVD-R disc (the original is on DVD-R)
    and apparently my DVD burner is ONLY a DVD+R. (I was suprised, I msut of
    bought my laptop right on the cusp when everyone has DVD+-R's my question,
    is it possible to burn a DVD-R disc onto a DVD+R with a DVD+R burner? and if
    so? how?

    (Sorry for the long post)
    Dr Nick, Oct 17, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Dr Nick

    Baron Guest

    Dr Nick wrote:

    > I havea client that wants a DVD-R copied (wants 5 copies) well he
    > left me a buch of DVD's turns out they are DVD+R. Normally I don't
    > even pay attention to what kind of DVD they are (+ or -) but Nero
    > keeps saying that this compliattion needs to be burned to a DVD-R disc
    > (the original is on DVD-R) and apparently my DVD burner is ONLY a
    > DVD+R. (I was suprised, I msut of bought my laptop right on the cusp
    > when everyone has DVD+-R's my question, is it possible to burn a DVD-R
    > disc onto a DVD+R with a DVD+R burner? and if so? how?
    >
    > (Sorry for the long post)


    Have you tried copying it to your hard drive and then burning from
    there! Unless there is a size issue I don't see any reason why it
    cannot be done!
    Baron, Oct 17, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Dr Nick

    Dr Nick Guest

    "Baron" <> wrote in message news:4535246d@212.67.96.135...
    >is it possible to burn a DVD-R
    >> disc onto a DVD+R with a DVD+R burner? and if so? how?


    > Have you tried copying it to your hard drive and then burning from
    > there! Unless there is a size issue I don't see any reason why it
    > cannot be done!


    I created an image of the disc to my drive and tried to burn it fomr there,
    no luck. It's a Video DVD (it's this guys home video of something, so not
    copywrighted) so I wanted to do a straight copy (it's made with a menu to
    play in a regular DVD player) can I just copy the files?
    Dr Nick, Oct 17, 2006
    #3
  4. Dr Nick

    Baron Guest

    Dr Nick wrote:

    >
    >
    >
    > "Baron" <> wrote in message news:4535246d@212.67.96.135...
    >>is it possible to burn a DVD-R
    >>> disc onto a DVD+R with a DVD+R burner? and if so? how?

    >
    >> Have you tried copying it to your hard drive and then burning from
    >> there! Unless there is a size issue I don't see any reason why it
    >> cannot be done!

    >
    > I created an image of the disc to my drive and tried to burn it fomr
    > there, no luck. It's a Video DVD (it's this guys home video of
    > something, so not copywrighted) so I wanted to do a straight copy
    > (it's made with a menu to play in a regular DVD player) can I just
    > copy the files?


    Er, Yes thats what I ment ! I don't think that you can do it with an
    image (ISO) because I think it may contain media type information !
    Baron, Oct 17, 2006
    #4
  5. Dr Nick

    Dr Nick Guest

    hmm, I just copied all the files to my hard drive and then tried burning
    those to a DVD+R and it dind't work....the files copied but it won't open as
    a DVD and show teh menu like the original ones does.

    any ideas?




    "Baron" <> wrote in message news:4535263a@212.67.96.135...
    > Dr Nick wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> "Baron" <> wrote in message news:4535246d@212.67.96.135...
    >>>is it possible to burn a DVD-R
    >>>> disc onto a DVD+R with a DVD+R burner? and if so? how?

    >>
    >>> Have you tried copying it to your hard drive and then burning from
    >>> there! Unless there is a size issue I don't see any reason why it
    >>> cannot be done!

    >>
    >> I created an image of the disc to my drive and tried to burn it fomr
    >> there, no luck. It's a Video DVD (it's this guys home video of
    >> something, so not copywrighted) so I wanted to do a straight copy
    >> (it's made with a menu to play in a regular DVD player) can I just
    >> copy the files?

    >
    > Er, Yes thats what I ment ! I don't think that you can do it with an
    > image (ISO) because I think it may contain media type information !
    Dr Nick, Oct 17, 2006
    #5
  6. Dr Nick

    Baron Guest

    Dr Nick wrote:

    > hmm, I just copied all the files to my hard drive and then tried
    > burning those to a DVD+R and it dind't work....the files copied but it
    > won't open as a DVD and show teh menu like the original ones does.
    >
    > any ideas?
    >


    Mmm! It beats me. Maybe you could ask the guy who created the original
    one what he did to make it in the first place. I've done copies, via
    HDD, between both formats and on to rewritable as well. I must admit
    that I don't use M$ so there could be issues there!

    Sorry I couldn't help.

    >
    > "Baron" <> wrote in message news:4535263a@212.67.96.135...
    >> Dr Nick wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:4535246d@212.67.96.135...
    >>>>is it possible to burn a DVD-R
    >>>>> disc onto a DVD+R with a DVD+R burner? and if so? how?
    >>>
    >>>> Have you tried copying it to your hard drive and then burning from
    >>>> there! Unless there is a size issue I don't see any reason why it
    >>>> cannot be done!
    >>>
    >>> I created an image of the disc to my drive and tried to burn it fomr
    >>> there, no luck. It's a Video DVD (it's this guys home video of
    >>> something, so not copywrighted) so I wanted to do a straight copy
    >>> (it's made with a menu to play in a regular DVD player) can I just
    >>> copy the files?

    >>
    >> Er, Yes thats what I ment ! I don't think that you can do it with an
    >> image (ISO) because I think it may contain media type information !
    Baron, Oct 17, 2006
    #6
  7. Dr Nick

    Travis Guest

    So your friend gave you a disc that is a DVD-R that he wants you to
    make copies of and gives you DVD+Rs? You should just beable to make the
    ISO on your harddrive and use Nero to burn that ISO to any kind of DVD
    your drive can burn. If you have made an ISO already, how big is the
    ISO? If it's larger than 4.7GB then you probably have DVD+R, you will
    need Double layers.

    You can just drag and drop the files onto the disc, as you can't copy
    certain invisible information and stuff that makes it readable by a DVD
    Drive.
    Baron wrote:
    > Dr Nick wrote:
    >
    > > hmm, I just copied all the files to my hard drive and then tried
    > > burning those to a DVD+R and it dind't work....the files copied but it
    > > won't open as a DVD and show teh menu like the original ones does.
    > >
    > > any ideas?
    > >

    >
    > Mmm! It beats me. Maybe you could ask the guy who created the original
    > one what he did to make it in the first place. I've done copies, via
    > HDD, between both formats and on to rewritable as well. I must admit
    > that I don't use M$ so there could be issues there!
    >
    > Sorry I couldn't help.
    >
    > >
    > > "Baron" <> wrote in message news:4535263a@212.67.96.135...
    > >> Dr Nick wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>> "Baron" <> wrote in message
    > >>> news:4535246d@212.67.96.135...
    > >>>>is it possible to burn a DVD-R
    > >>>>> disc onto a DVD+R with a DVD+R burner? and if so? how?
    > >>>
    > >>>> Have you tried copying it to your hard drive and then burning from
    > >>>> there! Unless there is a size issue I don't see any reason why it
    > >>>> cannot be done!
    > >>>
    > >>> I created an image of the disc to my drive and tried to burn it fomr
    > >>> there, no luck. It's a Video DVD (it's this guys home video of
    > >>> something, so not copywrighted) so I wanted to do a straight copy
    > >>> (it's made with a menu to play in a regular DVD player) can I just
    > >>> copy the files?
    > >>
    > >> Er, Yes thats what I ment ! I don't think that you can do it with an
    > >> image (ISO) because I think it may contain media type information !
    Travis, Oct 17, 2006
    #7
  8. Dr Nick

    Dr Nick Guest

    Solved the problem (sort of) took the disc home and burned it on my computer
    here and it worked (using his same DVD+R discs) I don't quite understand
    what the problem was, my laptop at work at a DVD+R burner 9which is what the
    blanks were0 but it wouldn't work, I brought it home and used them on my
    desktop (which has a + and - R burner) and it worked..... oh well


    "Travis" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > So your friend gave you a disc that is a DVD-R that he wants you to
    > make copies of and gives you DVD+Rs? You should just beable to make the
    > ISO on your harddrive and use Nero to burn that ISO to any kind of DVD
    > your drive can burn. If you have made an ISO already, how big is the
    > ISO? If it's larger than 4.7GB then you probably have DVD+R, you will
    > need Double layers.
    >
    > You can just drag and drop the files onto the disc, as you can't copy
    > certain invisible information and stuff that makes it readable by a DVD
    > Drive.
    > Baron wrote:
    >> Dr Nick wrote:
    >>
    >> > hmm, I just copied all the files to my hard drive and then tried
    >> > burning those to a DVD+R and it dind't work....the files copied but it
    >> > won't open as a DVD and show teh menu like the original ones does.
    >> >
    >> > any ideas?
    >> >

    >>
    >> Mmm! It beats me. Maybe you could ask the guy who created the original
    >> one what he did to make it in the first place. I've done copies, via
    >> HDD, between both formats and on to rewritable as well. I must admit
    >> that I don't use M$ so there could be issues there!
    >>
    >> Sorry I couldn't help.
    >>
    >> >
    >> > "Baron" <> wrote in message news:4535263a@212.67.96.135...
    >> >> Dr Nick wrote:
    >> >>
    >> >>>
    >> >>>
    >> >>>
    >> >>> "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >> >>> news:4535246d@212.67.96.135...
    >> >>>>is it possible to burn a DVD-R
    >> >>>>> disc onto a DVD+R with a DVD+R burner? and if so? how?
    >> >>>
    >> >>>> Have you tried copying it to your hard drive and then burning from
    >> >>>> there! Unless there is a size issue I don't see any reason why it
    >> >>>> cannot be done!
    >> >>>
    >> >>> I created an image of the disc to my drive and tried to burn it fomr
    >> >>> there, no luck. It's a Video DVD (it's this guys home video of
    >> >>> something, so not copywrighted) so I wanted to do a straight copy
    >> >>> (it's made with a menu to play in a regular DVD player) can I just
    >> >>> copy the files?
    >> >>
    >> >> Er, Yes thats what I ment ! I don't think that you can do it with an
    >> >> image (ISO) because I think it may contain media type information !

    >
    Dr Nick, Oct 18, 2006
    #8
  9. Dr Nick

    Baron Guest

    Dr Nick wrote:

    > Solved the problem (sort of) took the disc home and burned it on my
    > computer here and it worked (using his same DVD+R discs) I don't quite
    > understand what the problem was, my laptop at work at a DVD+R burner
    > 9which is what the blanks were0 but it wouldn't work, I brought it
    > home and used them on my desktop (which has a + and - R burner) and it
    > worked..... oh well


    Laptop problem ! Hardware or Software ??
    Glad you got it sorted.

    Baron.
    Baron, Oct 19, 2006
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. JesterDev

    Easy way to burn 30gb of files onto DVD

    JesterDev, May 22, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,996
  2. Raxxy

    How long to burn 100 GB onto DVD?

    Raxxy, Apr 8, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    55
    Views:
    4,381
    David B.
    Apr 15, 2004
  3. Theseeker

    Photo quality - onto paper or onto CD?

    Theseeker, Sep 25, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    375
    Yehuda Paradise
    Oct 4, 2004
  4. Shenan Stanley
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    454
    John Malone
    Mar 13, 2007
  5. Mr Undeniably Sluttish

    Doh! How do ya write a floppy disc image onto a floppy disc?

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 28, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    518
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish
    Dec 29, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page