Is it possibl eto upgrade Aironet 350 -> 802.11g?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by j2, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. j2

    j2 Guest

    Subject kinda says it all. Is there any chance of replacing the radio
    modules of these units?
    j2, Jan 18, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    j2 <> wrote:
    :Subject kinda says it all. Is there any chance of replacing the radio
    :modules of these units?

    That isn't supported. The documentation says they are not upgradable.
    I've never seen one, so I don't know whether the innards could be
    hacked.
    --
    Suppose there was a test you could take that would report whether
    you had Free Will or were Pre-Destined. Would you take the test?
    Walter Roberson, Jan 18, 2004

  3. -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:
    >In article <>,
    >j2 <> wrote:
    >:Subject kinda says it all. Is there any chance of replacing the radio
    >:modules of these units?

    >That isn't supported. The documentation says they are not upgradable.
    >I've never seen one, so I don't know whether the innards could be
    >hacked.

    Well, after undoing the protected torx bits (ie. the ones with the
    post in the middle), you could get the radio card out, since its just
    an Aironet PC card. But you'd have to have the software drivers in the
    code on the 350 to support whatever card you put in there.

    So, its not really viable.
    --
    Doug McIntyre
    Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades
    Doug McIntyre, Jan 18, 2004
  4. "j2" <> wrote in message
    > Subject kinda says it all. Is there any chance of replacing the radio
    > modules of these units?

    Most probably not. As Doug already pointed out you'd need support for the
    ..11g radio in the firmware, which the 350 most likely doesn't have (I can't
    think of any reason why it should), and also the .11g radios have cardbus
    interfaces, and the ap350 only supports standard pcmcia. The card inside the
    AIR-AP350 is a plain AIR-LMC352, which I think is possible to replace if it
    should ever fail. Better go for the 1200 AP if you want upgradeability.

    Anyway I took some fairly high-res pictures of the AP350's innards for those
    people who like this sort of things. You can find them at
    http://www.wence.vandermeersch.org/c350/

    Regards,
    Wence Van der Meersch
    $firstname @ $lastname . org