    inspection and needed repairs. It gets cold in the area in the winter,
    so I appreciate feedback in the opines of short-term/long-term and
    pro/con.

    dubbah, Sep 27, 2005

  2. dubbah

    FAQmeister Guest

    "dubbah" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > Have been moving vhs tapes and dvds packed in cardboard boxes to a
    > storage room in the basement because apartment needs to be cleared for
    > inspection and needed repairs. It gets cold in the area in the winter,
    > so I appreciate feedback in the opines of short-term/long-term and
    > pro/con.

    Temperature extremes are very bad for tape. Much less so for DVDs.
    --
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    FAQmeister, Sep 27, 2005

  3. dubbah

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <dhc9h4$8d3$>,
    FAQmeister <> wrote:
    >"dubbah" <> wrote in message
    >> Have been moving vhs tapes and dvds packed in cardboard boxes to a
    >> storage room in the basement because apartment needs to be cleared for
    >> inspection and needed repairs. It gets cold in the area in the winter,
    >> so I appreciate feedback in the opines of short-term/long-term and
    >> pro/con.

    >Temperature extremes are very bad for tape. Much less so for DVDs.

    Not to mention the high humidity in many basements.

    Mike S., Sep 27, 2005
  4. dubbah

    dubbah Guest

    > Temperature extremes are very bad for tape. Much less so for DVDs.
    >
    > Not to mention the high humidity in many basements.

    Understood. Most of these tapes date a few years back to the late
    Eighties. Short term storage in the basement is then all right? Say,
    two to three months?

    dubbah, Sep 29, 2005
  5. dubbah

    FAQmeister Guest

    "dubbah" <> wrote in message
    >> Temperature extremes are very bad for tape. Much less so for DVDs.
    >>
    >> Not to mention the high humidity in many basements.

    > Understood. Most of these tapes date a few years back to the late
    > Eighties. Short term storage in the basement is then all right? Say,
    > two to three months?

    I wouldn't.

    FAQmeister, Sep 30, 2005
  6. dubbah

    dubbah Guest

    FAQmeister wrote:
    > "dubbah" <> wrote in message
    > >> Temperature extremes are very bad for tape. Much less so for DVDs.
    > >>
    > >> Not to mention the high humidity in many basements.

    > > Understood. Most of these tapes date a few years back to the late
    > > Eighties. Short term storage in the basement is then all right? Say,
    > > two to three months?

    > I wouldn't.

    I have had to move boxes with vhs tapes and dvds into the storage
    room to make it easy for me to get my apartment organized, this is the
    sole reason. Many vhs tapes are still in my apartment and I will
    eventually need to bring them all together somehow in my apartment,
    the countless vhs tapes I have accumulated from my old place and
    had to bring them where I have lived for a few years. Your feedback
    is well appreciated, though. I have the vhs tapes in jackets and
    will eventually have all in jackets.

    dubbah, Oct 5, 2005
  7. dubbah

    jack the lad Guest

    I would imagine they would be ok, as long as they are inside their covers
    and also boxed up to keep dust away from the vhs ones ,even though they are
    in tape covers the dust can still get to the vhs tapes know what I mean so
    box them up too.

    jack the lad, Oct 9, 2005
  8. In article <dia3r0$prm$-infra.bt.com>,
    jack the lad <> wrote:
    >I would imagine they would be ok, as long as they are inside their covers
    >and also boxed up to keep dust away from the vhs ones ,even though they are
    >in tape covers the dust can still get to the vhs tapes know what I mean so
    >box them up too.

    Moisture is the killer for all types of tape - audio and video.

    Cool and dry is the best - and dry is more important.

    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Oct 9, 2005
  9. dubbah

    dubbah Guest

    Bill Vermillion wrote:
    jack the lad <> wrote:
    > >I would imagine they would be ok, as long as they are inside their covers
    > >and also boxed up to keep dust away from the vhs ones ,even though they are
    > >in tape covers the dust can still get to the vhs tapes know what I mean so
    > >box them up too.

    > Moisture is the killer for all types of tape - audio and video.
    >
    > Cool and dry is the best - and dry is more important.

    Thanks for the feedback, both of you!!!!

    dubbah, Oct 13, 2005