    to be automatically moved into the junk mail folder. Obviously I'm not
    sure how the "training" is supposed to work. And I haven't been able to
    find clear directions either. TIA

    tenplay, Jun 23, 2004

  2. tenplay

    Moz Champion Guest

    tenplay wrote:

    > when you are trying to "train" the junk mail controls to recognize the
    > difference between junk and legit email? If I erase the 100 or so junk
    > mail in the junk mail folder, will the "training" have to begin all over
    > again? Also I am not sure if I am supposed to manually mark junk mail
    > and move them into the junk folder as someone had suggested to do during
    > the "training" period. If so, when can I set it up for marked junk mail
    > to be automatically moved into the junk mail folder. Obviously I'm not
    > sure how the "training" is supposed to work. And I haven't been able to
    > find clear directions either. TIA

    Once you have marked the message as Junk (or marked it as non-junk if so marked) then it doesnt matter what you do with the message after that. You can store them, report them, or trash them as you see fit.
    The 'training' takes place when and if you mark a message as junk (or mark one marked as junk as non-junk) - as soon as you do, the training is over and you can do whatever you wish with the file.

    You can set up what to do with mail marked as junk manually using the JMC controls, you can have it moved to the Junk folder, or even have it trashed if you'd prefer, the option is yours. You dont have to do anything with the mail you mark manually, you can put it in the junk folder if you want, or you can trash it, whatever suits your preferences.

    Training is really simple. When a message comes in that you think is spam, mark it as Junk. You might want to monitor the Junk folder (or wherever you are putting the Junk) to see if it is catching anything that you dont think is spam or junk, at least in the beginning. In time, the success rate will go up to 95% or more (mine is currently getting 99.9%) and I havent had a false postive in over six months.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jun 24, 2004

  3. tenplay

    tenplay Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > tenplay wrote:
    >
    >> when you are trying to "train" the junk mail controls to recognize the
    >> difference between junk and legit email? If I erase the 100 or so
    >> junk mail in the junk mail folder, will the "training" have to begin
    >> all over again? Also I am not sure if I am supposed to manually
    >> mark junk mail and move them into the junk folder as someone had
    >> suggested to do during the "training" period. If so, when can I set
    >> it up for marked junk mail to be automatically moved into the junk
    >> mail folder. Obviously I'm not sure how the "training" is supposed to
    >> work. And I haven't been able to find clear directions either. TIA

    > Once you have marked the message as Junk (or marked it as non-junk if so
    > marked) then it doesnt matter what you do with the message after that.
    > You can store them, report them, or trash them as you see fit.
    > The 'training' takes place when and if you mark a message as junk (or
    > mark one marked as junk as non-junk) - as soon as you do, the training
    > is over and you can do whatever you wish with the file.
    >
    > You can set up what to do with mail marked as junk manually using the
    > JMC controls, you can have it moved to the Junk folder, or even have it
    > trashed if you'd prefer, the option is yours. You dont have to do
    > anything with the mail you mark manually, you can put it in the junk
    > folder if you want, or you can trash it, whatever suits your preferences.
    >
    > Training is really simple. When a message comes in that you think is
    > spam, mark it as Junk. You might want to monitor the Junk folder (or
    > wherever you are putting the Junk) to see if it is catching anything
    > that you dont think is spam or junk, at least in the beginning. In
    > time, the success rate will go up to 95% or more (mine is currently
    > getting 99.9%) and I havent had a false postive in over six months.

    Thanks for the very helpful response. And it is encouraging that you
    are getting such positive results with the junk filter. I am quickly
    becoming a Mozilla fan.

    tenplay, Jun 24, 2004