    Internet Logs
    User Data

    Any potential problems deleted the content of these folders?
    fre, Aug 13, 2004

  2. fre

    DL Guest

    To be safe use Disk Cleanup

    DL, Aug 13, 2004

  3. fre

    Ron Martell Guest

    fre <> wrote:

    >Is it OK to Delete these files in the Windows Folder???
    >
    >In the Windows Folder:
    >
    >Temporary Internet Files

    A good idea as part of any periodic cleanup of your hard drive. If
    you have a dial-up internet connection then deleting the t.i.f. will
    slow down your access to web pages you have recently visited, at least
    until the t.i.f. is repopulated. If you have a high speed internet
    connection then it is usually a good practice to configure Internet
    Explorer to delete the t.i.f. when it is closed. This setting is
    found in Tools - Internet Options - Advanced

    >Windows Update Setup Files

    This will remove your ability to uninstall any of these updates,
    should you ever need or want to.

    >Downloaded Installations

    Should you ever need to reinstall any of the applications whose
    install files are in this folder then you will have to download them
    again.

    >Cookies

    This will result in your no longer being "recognized" when you return
    to a web site that you have previously visited. Any user options you
    may have configured for that site will be lost and you will likely
    have to re-enter any login data (user name & password) for that site.

    >Cache

    May affect performance a bit if Windows needs to regenerate any of the
    subfolders or files in it.

    >Internet Logs

    My folder has 3 files in it, and they are over 3 years old and seem to
    date back to a time when I had Zone Alarm installed on this machine.
    If your folder has more current information then you may want to be a
    bit cautious, especially if you use Zone Alarm.

    >User Data

    No such folder on my system. Do you have multiple users configured
    for your system? This folder may be related to that.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Aug 13, 2004
  4. > To be safe use Disk Cleanup

    The problem with Disk Cleanup though is that it often leaves tons of
    stuff behind that is no longer needed. Example: I've used disk cleanup
    many times, only to find that a couple hundred megs of old crap that
    will never be used by anything, still remains in the Windows Temp folder.
    David Matthew Wood, Aug 13, 2004
  5. fre

    geothermal Guest

    fre wrote:
    > Is it OK to Delete these files in the Windows Folder???
    >
    > In the Windows Folder:
    >
    > Temporary Internet Files
    > Windows Update Setup Files
    > Downloaded Installations
    > Cookies
    > Cache
    > Internet Logs
    > User Data
    >
    > Any potential problems deleted the content of these folders?

    I delete half my cookies every month or so. Some of my fav
    message boards and websites use the "good" cookies and I hand delete
    the "bad" cookies.

    I delete my cache and temp folders every week or so.

    But seriously the best way to learn about computers is to just start
    deleting stuff and then to reboot ! (^:

    Back up everything first of course.

    Boy, it sure was fun with Windows 3.1 when I deleted some .com files
    to see what might happen. Yikes !

    geothermal
    geothermal, Aug 13, 2004
  6. fre

    Ron Martell Guest

    geothermal <> wrote:
    <snip>

    >Boy, it sure was fun with Windows 3.1 when I deleted some .com files
    >to see what might happen. Yikes !

    You usually learn more from one good mistake than you do from 6 months
    of doing things right. :)

    Ron Martell, Aug 13, 2004
  7. fre

    ProfGene Guest

    It is safe to delete cookies and temporary internet files and installation
    files though sometimes these come in handy if you have to restore your
    system. The others I would think might cause problems but I am not certain.

    ProfGene, Aug 13, 2004