    Will Dockery Guest

    A female co-worker mentioned to me that a friend had her uterus
    literally fall right out. Is that medically possible?

    Will Dockery, Mar 18, 2005

  2. Will Dockery

    Guest

    Yes, it is. It's called a prolapsed uterus.

    , Mar 18, 2005

  3. Will Dockery

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Will Dockery writes:

    > A female co-worker mentioned to me that a friend had her uterus
    > literally fall right out. Is that medically possible?

    Not really. The uterus can drop lower in the abdomen if its usual
    supports fail, and during delivery it can turn inside out and be
    extruded from the body (rare, but a very serious emergency), but it
    won't just "fall out" of the body.

    Mxsmanic, Mar 18, 2005
  4. Will Dockery

    Guest

    There are two things that can happen - eversion or prolapse

    During delivery, the uterus can literally turn inside out i.e. i.e.
    this is called eversion - its rare in humans (if you do a google,
    you'll find lots of articles on livestock - LOL!)I, and its life
    threatening. Here is an example - like I said, this particular one is a
    scary story, so preggos don't read if you are nervous. I said it's
    RARE!! http://www.discover.com/issues/apr-04/departments/vital-signs/

    On the other hand, prolapse, as opposed to eversion, is actually not
    uncommon. It can happen after delivery, but its more common in older
    women due to the relaxation of the ligaments that hold it in place
    (something close to 30% of older women who've had kids have at least a
    degree of it). It can literally sag to the point where the uterus in
    part or entirely can stick out of the vagina, causing all kinds of
    problems (i.e back pain, problems with sex etc.) Sometimes they deal
    with it by getting the woman to wear a pessary - its like an internal
    ring gadget that holds the uterus up in place. Kegels can help, but
    often it needs surgery.

    Here is some info
    http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Prolapse_of_the_uterus?open

    Oh the joys of being a woman!

    Mary G.
    Mom of three

    , Mar 18, 2005
  5. Will Dockery

    Guest

    Forgot to mention, since I just noticed it... the article on prolapse I
    gave the link to, gives mostly good overview info (which is why I
    picked it), but is NOT accurate when it suggests that episiotomy will
    prevent prolapse. Current research suggests than episiotomy will NOT
    prevent prolapse, so if your doctor tells you that as a reason you need
    one, he/she is full of it.

    Here is an example of what current research says
    http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050201/tips/30.html

    Mary G.

    , Mar 18, 2005
  6. Will Dockery

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that stated that:

    **** off, troll.

    Lionel, Mar 18, 2005
  7. Nein.
    Der openink must firscht be klosed mit der schtrong sutures.
    Like ziss -

    www.kup.at/journals/abbildungen/gross/2968.html

    Doktor F

    Dr. Florgenstein, Mar 18, 2005
  8. Will Dockery

    Emily Guest

    wrote:
    > Here is some info
    > http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Prolapse_of_the_uterus?open
    >
    > Oh the joys of being a woman!

    My grandmother had a funny story about this. She was incredibly
    healthy until 81, and then was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
    Lived the expected 6 months after diagnosis. We of course would have
    prefered for her to live longer (and without cancer), but all in
    all not a bad way to go: 81 healthy years, then enough warning to
    put one's affairs in order.

    Anyway, towards the end, she had hospice nurses coming to her house
    (never needed to go to a nursing home or even a hospital over night).
    One day she complained about some swelling between her legs. The
    hospice nurse took a look and said "prolapsed uterus, let's just
    pop it back in". A few hours later, my grandma said, "But I had
    a hysterectomy!" She thought it was all very funny, and I can still
    remember her laughing about it.

    Emily

    Emily, Mar 18, 2005
  9. Will Dockery

    YANewsreader Guest

    In article <>,
    Emily <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > Here is some info
    > > http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Prolapse_of_t
    > > he_uterus?open
    > >
    > > Oh the joys of being a woman!

    > My grandmother had a funny story about this.

    I bet they're ROTFL over at misc.kids.pregnancy but why the f**k did you
    crosspost on rec.photo.digital?

    Unless you've taken some good shots of granny's prolapsed cervix....
    (Information overload!!!)

    --
    YAnewsreader
    <I do solemnly promise to trim all quotations appropriately before

    YANewsreader, Mar 18, 2005
  10. Will Dockery

    secheese Guest

    On 17 Mar 2005 20:38:48 -0800, (Will Dockery)
    wrote:

    >A female co-worker mentioned to me that a friend had her uterus
    >literally fall right out. Is that medically possible?

    Oh yeah... I find myself steppin' around them on the sidewalks all the
    time.

    secheese, Mar 19, 2005
  11. Will Dockery

    measekite Guest

    Only if she suck of 1.2 Lenses and screws 500MM Mirror Lenses on
    Wednesday if it is the 1st day of the 4th month of the Lunar year.

    measekite, Mar 19, 2005
  12. Will Dockery

    Sherrie Lee Guest

    Will Dockery wrote:
    > A female co-worker mentioned to me that a friend had her uterus
    > literally fall right out. Is that medically possible?

    I don't know about fall right out.
    I know of this woman who'd given birth
    and the birth caused her uterus
    to be ripped out of her. She hemouraged.
    Had to have emergency surgery.
    All seemed to be due to that labour, birth
    inducing medication that was administered.

    Sherrie Lee, Mar 19, 2005
  13. Will Dockery

    Paul H. Guest

    "Sherrie Lee" <> wrote in message

    > Will Dockery wrote:
    > > A female co-worker mentioned to me that a friend had her uterus
    > > literally fall right out. Is that medically possible?

    > I don't know about fall right out.
    > I know of this woman who'd given birth
    > and the birth caused her uterus
    > to be ripped out of her. She hemouraged.
    > Had to have emergency surgery.
    > All seemed to be due to that labour, birth
    > inducing medication that was administered.

    Yeah, I hate it when that happens. Thanks for sharing.

    Next time take a picture so you'll be on topic here at rec.photo.digital

    Paul H., Mar 19, 2005
  14. Will Dockery

    Emily Guest

    YANewsreader wrote:

    > I bet they're ROTFL over at misc.kids.pregnancy but why the f**k did you
    > crosspost on rec.photo.digital?
    >
    > Unless you've taken some good shots of granny's prolapsed cervix....
    > (Information overload!!!)

    Oops -- how embarrassing. I actually tried to get rid of
    all the crossposting from the original troll, but I didn't
    scroll down, and so didn't see rec.photo.digital.

    My apologies,
    Emily

    Emily, Mar 19, 2005
  15. Will Dockery

    Will Dockery Guest

    wrote:
    > There are two things that can happen - eversion or prolapse
    >
    > During delivery, the uterus can literally turn inside out i.e. i.e.
    > this is called eversion - its rare in humans (if you do a google,
    > you'll find lots of articles on livestock - LOL!)I, and its life
    > threatening. Here is an example - like I said, this particular one is

    > scary story, so preggos don't read if you are nervous. I said it's
    > RARE!! http://www.discover.com/issues/apr-04/departments/vital-signs/
    >
    > On the other hand, prolapse, as opposed to eversion, is actually not
    > uncommon. It can happen after delivery, but its more common in older
    > women due to the relaxation of the ligaments that hold it in place
    > (something close to 30% of older women who've had kids have at least

    > degree of it). It can literally sag to the point where the uterus in
    > part or entirely can stick out of the vagina, causing all kinds of
    > problems (i.e back pain, problems with sex etc.) Sometimes they

    deal
    > with it by getting the woman to wear a pessary - its like an internal
    > ring gadget that holds the uterus up in place. Kegels can help, but
    > often it needs surgery.
    >
    > Here is some info

    http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Prolapse_of_the_uterus?open

    > Oh the joys of being a woman!
    >
    > Mary G.
    > Mom of three

    Thanks, Mary.

    On my side of the fence, we're no spring chickens, and these issues are
    important.

    In other generations, I'm soon-to-be a grandfather, and I'll pass this
    info on to my daughter, as well.

    --
    Shadowville/Netherlands project:
    http://www.kannibaal.nl/shadowville.htm

    "Greybeard Cavalier" [0x0000/Fowler/Dockery]
    http://www.lulu.com/items/26000/26663/preview/Track__1.mp3

    "Autograph 0f Zorro" Mp3:
    http://www.kannibaal.nl/zorro.mp3

    Will Dockery, Mar 19, 2005
  16. Will Dockery

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Sherrie Lee writes:

    > I don't know about fall right out.
    > I know of this woman who'd given birth
    > and the birth caused her uterus
    > to be ripped out of her. She hemouraged.
    > Had to have emergency surgery.
    > All seemed to be due to that labour, birth
    > inducing medication that was administered.

    Not necessarily. Sometimes it's just happens. It's rare, but it can
    kill a woman very quickly if it isn't properly handled.

    There are a lot of very bad things that can go wrong in a pregnancy and
    especially during delivery. Until modern medicine came along,
    childbirth was the leading cause of death among women. Fortunately,
    serious complications are still fairly rare, and today most can be
    handled adequately if the delivery takes place in a properly-equipped
    medical facility.

    Mxsmanic, Mar 19, 2005
  17. Although I was once an EMT (army medic and ambulance driver) and have
    assisted on a couple of birthings the knowlege I have of this is from the
    books from the English vet All Creatures Great and Small and the once that
    followed. Seems that repairing this problem was one of his more common
    activities. I wonder if the difference in postures between women and animals
    during birthing can account for the difference in occurance.

    Gene Palmiter, Mar 20, 2005
  18. Will Dockery

    lefty Guest

    It ceretainly is... I work with several everyday!! Shame you can't
    put them back..

    lefty, Mar 21, 2005