    bankable actors, are being sent directly to video? Look at "People I Know",
    starring Al Pacino, "The Boondock Saints" (which has become an enormous
    word-of-mouth hit), and "Hope Springs" with Colin Firth.
    Vlvetmorning98, Aug 4, 2004

  2. Vlvetmorning98

    Joe McC Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    news:4111476c$0$2841$...
    > Vlvetmorning98 wrote:
    >
    > > or does it seem and an increasing number of films, even those with

    supposedly
    > > bankable actors, are being sent directly to video? Look at "People I

    Know",
    > > starring Al Pacino, "The Boondock Saints" (which has become an enormous
    > > word-of-mouth hit), and "Hope Springs" with Colin Firth.

    > Uh, Vlv--
    >
    > You started a question with "Is it just me...", and you *wondered* about
    > what answer you'd get? ;)

    Seems to me the stigma of DTV HAS lessened as time's went by. I can
    understand why studios might not want to throw a big advertising budget at a
    hard-to-market movie, but it doesn't mean the film's a stinker. Having said
    that, I reckon the 3 you've used to illustrate the argument are all deeply
    flawed.

    Boondock Saints........... there was HUGE word of mouth before it was made.
    The screenplay was regarded as hot property, but the finished movie was seen
    as irritating and badly translated onto film.

    People I know was just seen as having a weak 3 act structure with no
    centre.......nothing to catch the critics' attention. (Pacino's done that
    before, with movies like And Justice For All, which got a VERY limited
    cimema release in the UK.

    Hope Springs - weakly written & a lesser imitation of the sort of romcom
    that needs Hugh Grant to stand a chance.
    Joe McC, Aug 5, 2004

  3. Vlvetmorning98 wrote:

    > or does it seem and an increasing number of films, even those with supposedly
    > bankable actors, are being sent directly to video? Look at "People I Know",
    > starring Al Pacino, "The Boondock Saints" (which has become an enormous
    > word-of-mouth hit), and "Hope Springs" with Colin Firth.

    Uh, Vlv--

    You started a question with "Is it just me...", and you *wondered* about
    what answer you'd get? ;)

    Derek Janssen (...I DON'T KNOW, IS IT???????)
    Derek Janssen, Aug 5, 2004
  4. >> Uh, Vlv--

    >> You started a question with "Is it just me...", and you *wondered* about
    >> what answer you'd get? ;)

    was there ever been a time when you were not a prick to just about every person
    on the 'net? Many of us here still remember how you chased away Norm, who knew
    faar, far about DVD's than you, you pretentious prick?
    Vlvetmorning98, Aug 5, 2004
  5. Vlvetmorning98

    jayembee Guest

    (Vlvetmorning98) wrote:

    [to Derek Jensen]
    > was there ever been a time when you were not a prick to
    > just about every person on the 'net?

    Well, I can't honestly say that I remember Derek being a
    prick to me.

    > Many of us here still remember how you chased away Norm,
    > who knew faar, far about DVD's than you, you pretentious
    > prick?

    Unless I missed something, Norm wasn't "chased away" due
    to any one person, but more of a general aura of negativity.
    But if any one person could be blamed, I think most people
    here would vote for Max.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Aug 6, 2004
  6. jayembee wrote:
    > Vlvetmorning98 wrote:
    > [to Derek Jensen]
    >> was there ever been a time when you were not a prick to just about every
    >> person on the 'net?

    > Well, I can't honestly say that I remember Derek being a prick to me.

    Neither can I. (Uh, being a prick to *me*, that is, though I can't remember
    him being one to you either.)

    >> Many of us here still remember how you chased away Norm, who knew faar,
    >> far about DVD's than you, you pretentious prick?

    > Unless I missed something, Norm wasn't "chased away" due to any one
    > person, but more of a general aura of negativity.

    I didn't think Norm was "chased away" at all: I thought he got married and
    had (understandably) better things to do with his spare time than hang out
    here and answer questions. I could be wrong...

    > But if any one person could be blamed, I think most people here would
    > vote for Max.

    ....but I'm okay with blaming Max anyway, though. :)

    doug

    --
    "If this is not an exercise, could it be a...?"
    --Wire
    Douglas Bailey, Aug 6, 2004
  7. Vlvetmorning98

    Scott P Guest

    On 04 Aug 2004 20:20:54 GMT, (Vlvetmorning98)
    wrote:

    >or does it seem and an increasing number of films, even those with supposedly
    >bankable actors, are being sent directly to video? Look at "People I Know",
    >starring Al Pacino, "The Boondock Saints" (which has become an enormous
    >word-of-mouth hit), and "Hope Springs" with Colin Firth.

    People I Know was in theaters. It played only in the big cities
    probably but it was in theaters.

    Scott
    Scott P, Aug 7, 2004