Is it grub (bootloader)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Uplink, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    I am trying to install Windows Chicago Build 78, a older Windows 95,
    and have burnt the file to a cd and made it bootable with a dos 6 boot
    image to start in dos and then goto the drive.

    I boot the computer and it starts dos and starts with A: (it thinks it
    a floppy drive and has the dos6 boot disk files on it), even though I
    have no floppy disk drive, then it has r: (my cd, it's device name
    BANANA unit 0),

    at R:\ I type setup and it says it's creating something, and says that
    it can't write to any device, I type C:\ and there's no c:

    I have done a: all the way to z: but just a: (144mb 31/2), b: (51/3
    disk) and r: (cd)

    I also have Ubuntu 5.10 with Windows XP, and use GRUB to chose which os
    to boot in, it installs on the boot sector of the hd, so is it not
    detecting c: becuase of grub?

    Will I have to uninstall grub then install Chicago then reinstall grub?

    -Thanks

    Uplink, Jan 27, 2006

  2. Uplink

    JTJersey Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:22:13 -0800, Uplink wrote:

    > I am trying to install Windows Chicago Build 78, a older Windows 95,
    > and have burnt the file to a cd and made it bootable with a dos 6 boot
    > image to start in dos and then goto the drive.
    >
    > I boot the computer and it starts dos and starts with A: (it thinks it
    > a floppy drive and has the dos6 boot disk files on it), even though I
    > have no floppy disk drive, then it has r: (my cd, it's device name
    > BANANA unit 0),
    >
    > at R:\ I type setup and it says it's creating something, and says that
    > it can't write to any device, I type C:\ and there's no c:
    >
    > I have done a: all the way to z: but just a: (144mb 31/2), b: (51/3
    > disk) and r: (cd)
    >

    > I also have Ubuntu 5.10 with Windows XP, and use GRUB to chose which os
    > to boot in, it installs on the boot sector of the hd, so is it not
    > detecting c: becuase of grub?
    >
    > Will I have to uninstall grub then install Chicago then reinstall grub?
    >
    > -Thanks

    Why are you doing this?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Jan 27, 2006

  3. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    who cares

    Uplink, Jan 27, 2006
  4. Uplink

    JTJersey Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:10:28 -0800, Uplink wrote:

    > who cares

    If it's simply an exercise to see if you can do it, then it's just going
    to be an exercise in frustration, but go for it, it's your hobby. If you
    have a particular need in mind, then maybe someone would be willing to
    help.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Jan 27, 2006
  5. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    I'll get it working soon and I'll put up all Windows 3.11, WIndows 95,
    Windows 98, Windows Chicago and Windows 99 all on my website to show
    it's possible.

    Uplink, Jan 27, 2006
  6. Uplink

    JTJersey Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:39:32 -0800, Uplink wrote:

    > I'll get it working soon and I'll put up all Windows 3.11, WIndows 95,
    > Windows 98, Windows Chicago and Windows 99 all on my website to show
    > it's possible.

    Cool. I've still got a Windows 3.11 machine running in my shop for notes,
    receipts, order reminders, phone numbers and a bunch of other stuff. Have
    fun.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Jan 27, 2006