    all the time, my receiver somehow creates a sound for the rear center
    speaker even if the movie doesn't have the DD-EX support.

    , Jul 25, 2005

  2. Joshua Zyber Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Do you guys leave the Dolby Digital-EX on all the time or do you only
    > turn it on during movies that has DD-EX support? When I leave it on
    > all the time, my receiver somehow creates a sound for the rear center
    > speaker even if the movie doesn't have the DD-EX support.

    A lot of movies matrix well into a rear center surround even if the
    movie was not specifically mixed for EX. I just leave it on all the time
    as well.

    The only danger is that if a movie has primarily monaural surround
    activity from the left and right channels, the decoder may collapse the
    entire rear soundstage into the center speaker. This is very rare,
    however.

    Joshua Zyber, Jul 25, 2005

  3. Sammy Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Do you guys leave the Dolby Digital-EX on all the time or do you only
    > turn it on during movies that has DD-EX support? When I leave it on
    > all the time, my receiver somehow creates a sound for the rear center
    > speaker even if the movie doesn't have the DD-EX support.

    I leave it on all the time.

    Sammy, Jul 25, 2005
  4. Al Jones Guest

    "Sammy" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Do you guys leave the Dolby Digital-EX on all the time or do you only
    >> turn it on during movies that has DD-EX support? When I leave it on
    >> all the time, my receiver somehow creates a sound for the rear center
    >> speaker even if the movie doesn't have the DD-EX support.

    > I leave it on all the time.

    Definitely leave it on.

    What you are hearing is your receiver taking the mono signal from the
    left/right surrounds and putting it through the center back, essentially
    "synthesizing" an EX track.

    Al Jones

    Al Jones, Jul 25, 2005
  5. Richard C. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Do you guys leave the Dolby Digital-EX on all the time or do you only
    > turn it on during movies that has DD-EX support? When I leave it on
    > all the time, my receiver somehow creates a sound for the rear center
    > speaker even if the movie doesn't have the DD-EX support.

    As mentioned in your other thread, I leave it on all the time.
    Most EX discs do not have the flag set.

    Richard C., Jul 25, 2005