    new learning curve? I understand each manufacturers camera turns out shots
    with differing levels of sharpness, saturation, etc?

    Ken
    Ken, Jul 10, 2007

  2. Ken

    Pat Guest

    On Jul 10, 9:06 am, "Ken" <Reply to NG only> wrote:
    > I am looking at buying a new camera to replace my Olympus 5060 and wondered
    > if it would be better to stick with Olympus from the point of view of using
    > Photo Software. I am used to enhancing my shots in this software and
    > wondered if a different manufacturer would mean me having to go through a
    > new learning curve? I understand each manufacturers camera turns out shots
    > with differing levels of sharpness, saturation, etc?
    >
    > Ken

    I don't think it matters what brand camera you use, software is
    software and jpgs are jpgs.

    The difference you will get is in the look of the images. If you
    shoot 2 images, side-by-side with different cameras you get a slightly
    different look. That's why when people carry two or three cameras,
    the backups are always the same brand and usually the same model. It
    is to get the same look.

    Personally, I don't think most people would notice the difference, but
    if you are in the midst of some long-term project, it is better to
    finish the project with the current camera.
    Pat, Jul 10, 2007

  3. Ken

    DHB Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:06:44 +0100, "Ken" <Reply to NG only> wrote:

    >I am looking at buying a new camera to replace my Olympus 5060 and wondered
    >if it would be better to stick with Olympus from the point of view of using
    >Photo Software. I am used to enhancing my shots in this software and
    >wondered if a different manufacturer would mean me having to go through a
    >new learning curve? I understand each manufacturers camera turns out shots
    >with differing levels of sharpness, saturation, etc?
    >
    >Ken

    Ken,
    My advice for what it's worth is:

    Select a camera that you feel best meets "your needs". The
    manufacturer is somewhat secondary because types & models are
    constantly changing.

    For example I like canon's P&S camera's but stopped upgrading
    beyond the S330 (2MP) & A610 (5MP) because they opted to join the MP
    race & I value low nice over higher MP. So I switched to a Fuji F11
    when it was time to upgrade my older S330 small P&S.

    The Fuji F11 is a different beast & far from a perfect camera
    but it met "my needs" best @ the time & I have no regrets with the
    choice I made & still use it often. Immediately added a small
    external generic AC/DC wall battery charger & a spare generic battery,
    it was necessary & well worth it.

    The point here is that how I tweak my photos is somewhat
    different with this camera compared to some of the Canon cameras I
    used & or still use. Then again, "every individual picture" taken
    with "any" camera should be evaluated & tweaked based on what it
    needs, not just the camera's general photographic characteristics.

    Also most camera's let you tweak some of the in-camera
    settings to better meet "your needs". Take full advantage of any such
    settings & you will have either much less needed to be done in PP
    editing or more options available in PP.

    Hope my 2 cents worth was of some value to you.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    DHB, Jul 10, 2007
  4. Ken

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:06:44 +0100, Ken wrote:

    > I am looking at buying a new camera to replace my Olympus 5060 and wondered
    > if it would be better to stick with Olympus from the point of view of using
    > Photo Software. I am used to enhancing my shots in this software and
    > wondered if a different manufacturer would mean me having to go through a
    > new learning curve? I understand each manufacturers camera turns out shots
    > with differing levels of sharpness, saturation, etc?
    >
    > Ken

    Personally, the only reason I would be very concerned about sticking with
    one mfr would be lens compatibility; but then I don't use mfr software at
    all anyway.
    ray, Jul 10, 2007
  5. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "DHB" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:06:44 +0100, "Ken" <Reply to NG only> wrote:
    >
    >>I am looking at buying a new camera to replace my Olympus 5060 and
    >>wondered
    >>if it would be better to stick with Olympus from the point of view of
    >>using
    >>Photo Software. I am used to enhancing my shots in this software and
    >>wondered if a different manufacturer would mean me having to go through a
    >>new learning curve? I understand each manufacturers camera turns out shots
    >>with differing levels of sharpness, saturation, etc?
    >>
    >>Ken
    >>

    > Ken,
    > My advice for what it's worth is:
    >
    > Select a camera that you feel best meets "your needs". The
    > manufacturer is somewhat secondary because types & models are
    > constantly changing.
    >
    > For example I like canon's P&S camera's but stopped upgrading
    > beyond the S330 (2MP) & A610 (5MP) because they opted to join the MP
    > race & I value low nice over higher MP. So I switched to a Fuji F11
    > when it was time to upgrade my older S330 small P&S.
    >
    > The Fuji F11 is a different beast & far from a perfect camera
    > but it met "my needs" best @ the time & I have no regrets with the
    > choice I made & still use it often. Immediately added a small
    > external generic AC/DC wall battery charger & a spare generic battery,
    > it was necessary & well worth it.
    >
    > The point here is that how I tweak my photos is somewhat
    > different with this camera compared to some of the Canon cameras I
    > used & or still use. Then again, "every individual picture" taken
    > with "any" camera should be evaluated & tweaked based on what it
    > needs, not just the camera's general photographic characteristics.
    >
    > Also most camera's let you tweak some of the in-camera
    > settings to better meet "your needs". Take full advantage of any such
    > settings & you will have either much less needed to be done in PP
    > editing or more options available in PP.
    >
    > Hope my 2 cents worth was of some value to you.
    >
    > Respectfully, DHB

    Thanks for your thoughts and perhaps it is right I get the camera I want and
    then go through a new learning curve on how I can enhance shots to suit my
    exact needs. I have tried the settings on the camera but have come back to
    'fiddling' around in the photo software.

    Ken
    Ken, Jul 10, 2007
  6. Ken

    Roy G Guest

    "Ken" <Reply to NG only> wrote in message
    >I am looking at buying a new camera to replace my Olympus 5060 and wondered
    >if it would be better to stick with Olympus from the point of view of using
    >Photo Software. I am used to enhancing my shots in this software and
    >wondered if a different manufacturer would mean me having to go through a
    >new learning curve? I understand each manufacturers camera turns out shots
    >with differing levels of sharpness, saturation, etc?
    >
    > Ken

    If you got a photo editing program with your Oly Camera, that same program
    should be able to do its stuff with any Jpg, irrespective of what camera
    they come from. If it does not then it really must be a piece of rubbish.
    So when you bin the Camera keep the Editing program.

    The only Maker or Camera critical program might be one for downloading
    images from the Camera to the Computer, but I never use any of those anyway.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Jul 11, 2007
  7. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Roy G" <> wrote in message

    > "Ken" <Reply to NG only> wrote in message
    >>I am looking at buying a new camera to replace my Olympus 5060 and
    >>wondered if it would be better to stick with Olympus from the point of
    >>view of using Photo Software. I am used to enhancing my shots in this
    >>software and wondered if a different manufacturer would mean me having to
    >>go through a new learning curve? I understand each manufacturers camera
    >>turns out shots with differing levels of sharpness, saturation, etc?
    >>
    >> Ken
    >>

    > If you got a photo editing program with your Oly Camera, that same program
    > should be able to do its stuff with any Jpg, irrespective of what camera
    > they come from. If it does not then it really must be a piece of rubbish.
    > So when you bin the Camera keep the Editing program.
    >
    > The only Maker or Camera critical program might be one for downloading
    > images from the Camera to the Computer, but I never use any of those
    > anyway.
    >
    > Roy G

    I should of said, in my OP, that I use Ulead PhotoImpact - never used the
    free software that cam with any camera.

    Ken
    Ken, Jul 11, 2007