    Any thoughts any suggestions?

    Regards,

    Bob

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=, Dec 13, 2005

  2. 1. Read this newsgroup. In particular, do a search in this newsgroup on
    nVidia and on Audigy.

    2. View this webcast by Charlie Russel:
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=909753

    3. Visit the nVidia and Audigy sites for drivers (be sure to check for beta
    drivers as well)

    4. Consider installing x64 on a second partition or drive and dual booting.
    You can download a trial edition of x64.

    5. Review the extensive resources, drivers, and forums on PlanetAMD64
    concerning x64.

    There lots of drivers for x64, but you will need to verify that there are
    drivers for your specific devices. I don't think it will be as much of a
    problem as the rumors you are hearing imply. But I would consider dual
    booting both x86 and x64 editions.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 13, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=

    renoch Guest

    My $0.02 ..... Only you can really decide, depending on what you want to
    run on this OS and how much you enjoy (or don't) the challenge.

    1. Most people still dual boot XP Pro (x86) and XP Pro X64, (myself
    included, for about the last six months).
    2. The hardware you list should all have drivers available.
    3. The hardware you didn't list could be problems, like Microsoft mice,
    video capture cards, printers, web cams, joy sticks, etc. Identify the
    availability of drivers for ALL your hardware first.
    4. Verify that your principal programs will run on X64, with the vendors or
    at places like:
    http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/win64compatibility/win64softlist.htm
    5. Do your homework regarding drivers and programs FIRST.
    6. Do your homework regarding drivers and programs FIRST.
    7. Do your homework regarding drivers and programs FIRST.

    Items 5,6 and 7 are the most important!

    I am giving a fairly simple answer here as a non-IT professional and I am
    certainly not an expert. I expect you will get a considerable number of
    replys to your question from the real experts on this NG as well.

    I use my system at home, not an enterprise environment, and I play with it
    as a hobby. If you are considering this for a business environment, where
    you do not know what device or programs your users might plug in or try
    next, then I suggest "Don't do it". There is still too much hardware and
    software that does not work with this OS for general deployment. But, for
    me, it sure has been fun to play with and I have learned a lot in the last
    six months.

    best regards,

    Roy

    renoch, Dec 13, 2005
  4. Taking about support for the CPU I dont think u have a problem there. But I
    have an Nvidia Geforce 6600 & ASUS A8N SLI Premium Board With AMD Dual Core
    XP2 4200+. I got the thing running smooth. BEWARE YOU NEED TO GET THE 64 Bit
    drivers for YOUR M/B & your graphics card. Otherwise be prepared to face
    sudden reboots or system hangs. Happened to me :)

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FwbmRvbg==?=, Dec 13, 2005
  5. Thank You Guys for all your help and suggestions.
    Have done some investigations and found the following for the benefit of
    others.
    Intel drivers for 64 bit are the same as 32 bit.
    There are drivers for the Audigy Sound card
    As well as drivers for nVidia 6600 card

    Now if only I could remember how to setup a dual boot as it has been about 8
    years since I did one lolol

    Regards,

    Bob

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=, Dec 13, 2005
  6. Install on separate partitions or drives. Install the oldest operating
    system first. Install the newest operating system second. Have the driver
    diskette for the hard drive controller at hand so that you can provide it
    via F6 when the installer starts up (both installations). You will see this
    instruction at the bottom of the screen for about 15 seconds, so watch for
    it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 13, 2005
  7. Thanks Colin

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=, Dec 13, 2005
  8. You're welcome.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 13, 2005
  9. If you like spenidng your time getting the operating system to work rather
    than doing work with the operating system then Win64 is for you. It is for
    tinkerers rather than people who need a stable, reliable OS. Be prepared
    because Win64 is very unstable with a variety of hardware and software. There
    is nothing you can do on Win64 that you cannot do in Win32 and much, if not
    most, of what you can do in Win32 you cannot do in Win64 (reliable antivirus,
    reliably burn CDs/DVDs, use packet writing software, install and use most
    video editing packages, reliably use many common productivity apps). The
    challenge is getting Win64 to work, not working in Win64.

    =?Utf-8?B?Ym1vYWc=?=, Dec 13, 2005
  10. XP Pro x64 is more stable than XP Pro x86. The problem is not the OS but
    third party support in providing drivers for devices. There are anti-virus
    and disk defragmentation programs that are certified for x64 and run in
    native 64-bit mode. Productivity apps and games present few if any issues
    under WOW64 or native mode.

    If you have had a bad experience with x64 I am sorry. But if the OP does
    proper preparation he will do just fine.

    As to x64 not being able to do anything x86 cannot do, I would like to see
    you access 128GB of ram and 16TB (not a typo) of page file with x86.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 13, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    There are many people in this group who would tell you that Win XP x64 =is=
    a stable, reliable OS. Where do you get this "very unstable" from?

    I would go further, I find it =more= stable that Win XP x86; especially the
    way it handles ill-behaved applications smoothly and without fuss.

    The only peripherals I need drivers for are a webcam (not a show stopper)
    and a scanner (easily solved by dual booting to XP x86). All else and every
    application I throw at this x64 box just works and smoothly at that.

    May I suggest you either buy or build yourself a more stable piece of
    hardware and stop constantly peddling this subjective rubbish below?

    People who come here for advice are seeking an objective assessment of
    whether Win XP x64 Edition would suit them and their own computing
    environment. To frighten them off with such rhetoric is not helpful.

    Colin Nowell, Dec 13, 2005
  12. Amen.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 13, 2005

    =?Utf-8?B?ZG90bmV0d2l6?=, Dec 13, 2005