    support IPSEC?

    Thanks,
    ConceptZone
    ConceptZone, Oct 23, 2005

  2. ConceptZone

    stephen Guest

    "ConceptZone" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > In the context of the IPVPN (MPLS), is the customer edge router has to
    > support IPSEC?

    it depends.

    MPLS doesnt need IPsec or any other tunnelling to work, and the edge router
    only needs simple IP forwarding - all that label stuff happens in the
    network core, on the PE and P routers.

    if this is a "private" MPLS service, and you dont consider the risk of the
    carrier tapping the traffic a big problem then no security is needed.

    The Q you didnt ask is whether you should use encryption - you dont have to
    but you can if you want (the same answer as for a VPN across the Internet
    really).

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl
    stephen, Oct 23, 2005

  3. ConceptZone

    ConceptZone Guest

    Thank you so much really, you gave me a great answer, just one thing
    more raised up in my mine

    what about the voice cpmression across MPLS ?

    thanks again

    ConceptZone

    ConceptZone, Oct 23, 2005
  4. ConceptZone

    ConceptZone, Oct 23, 2005
  5. ConceptZone

    > Thank you so much really, you gave me a great answer, just one thing
    > more raised up in my mine
    >
    > what about the voice cpmression across MPLS ?

    voice compression in IP? - its just IP......

    headers (for voice specifically because it is lots of small packets) - see
    below

    can you do data (not just voice) compression across a serial link? - yes -
    but most carriers (at least here in UK) dont because:
    they sell bandwidth for a living
    the hit on the aggregation / PE router for processing is painful.

    Also data compression gives a "variable return" - in particular the more pre
    processing (compression, encryption), the less the improvement in thruput.
    Try writing that into an SLA.......

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl