    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
    bigal, Mar 10, 2006

  2. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    I'm not impressed, all that gaga is for gaming only. I'd put money on my 4.2GHz Extreme Edition smoking any of the procs in that roundup. 2.66GHz is a step backwards, there was no reason to LOWER the clock speed. It's a big push to make the chip run cooler somehow so they sacrifice clock speed for other features, ho hum, nothing major happening there. Give me a chip that increases the clock speed AND throws in all the other performance plus runs cooler and I'll be impressed.
    The Modfather, Mar 10, 2006

  3. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    They had to drop the temps, otherwise they'd have to start a Barbecue line of products. Even my toasty warm Socket 754 64 runs at 39 idle, but damn... Saw the craptastic school computers, P4s, heat coming through the plastic case, and THROUGH the 2" wooden desk above it.
    XhArD, Mar 10, 2006
  4. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    U mean the ones that Melted the left Columns of pixels on the LCDs? (x)

    Intel has never been made for the Gamer, its always been a Workstation CPU or a Office CPU, and in most Cases a Server CPU but AMD have started to beat them in the server based Cores (OPTERON'S POON!!!) so they have to start making money in other places.

    If this core is actually good. the fact would be theres still the people who PREFER amd over intel just because experience and possiblely even knowledge, i know i prefer AMD, mainly because u get more per buck and a better CPU altogether.

    This CPU just looks like another Hype maker, But i dont think the market production will be what everyone expected. they will notice things that are wanted but mssing, like Cooling (they may get super hot) or Ram, it might be so expensive to get good ram to work with the boards. The Mobo's could be 500 bucks a Piece and what i think is a bit sill is they are using a Intel Made motherboard and the Intel Version of the Crossfire Chipset.

    We Should be looking at Software Rendering, Scrap the x1900Xt's, i wanna see what the core itself can do by itself!
    unholy, Mar 10, 2006
  5. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    From what I read, Intel has left the "faster is better performance" mantra of the PIV, and they've seen the light. We can only speculate on the performance at this point until the CPU is released for public consumption.
    bigal, Mar 10, 2006
  6. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    But that's good, I mean, that Intel has it's niche and isn't trying to (or wasn't trying to) be like AMD. They're good at gaming, just not as good as AMD but they're better in more practical application performance. Trying to shift to gaming performance might be a bad move. Computers are still used mostly for other things besides gaming. So what will happen there? I know, Intel will continue to make procs to fit that niche too but, I just don't know if Intel is properly geared to making a gamer proc.
    The Modfather, Mar 11, 2006
  7. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    This is what i see of Intel, even with this new move.

    Workstation/Server Only.

    Amd:

    Workstation (not the best workstation pcs but good enough and reasonably cheap), Gaming, OC, Server, MainFrame(Like large Clusters of 16-32-64 way servers :p)
    unholy, Mar 12, 2006
  8. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Both Intel and AMD make excellent CPUs, compared to what we had 2-3 years ago. They both do office applications and game. Some are just slightly better at a few applications. It's not a day and night difference. Kind of like having different cars that roll on 4 wheels, use gas, and go at least the speed limit.
    bigal, Mar 12, 2006
  9. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    My take would be like this.

    Intel: Solid, reliable, stable, not the best for games but does the job, not good for overclocking.

    AMD: Somewhat less reliable and stable, better for games, not as good at other applications but does the job, perfect for overclocking.
    The Modfather, Mar 12, 2006
  10. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Not to be a basher or anything but i think Intels are less relaiable, reasons without piror expereiences are the

    Heat Issues.
    Higher Frequency Ram (600mhz DDR is a Large incrediment compared to 400)
    Higher Frequency Core
    HyperTransport? why would u want to virtual Cores? This could stuff up some programs

    Not to mention Intels Cost more :| in the build too
    unholy, Mar 12, 2006
  11. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Cost was certainly a factor a while back. Intel brought their prices down because of the tough competition from AMD. Both Intel and AMD are overcockable, but Intel has more heat issues when pushing them up the clock ladder.
    bigal, Mar 12, 2006
  12. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    A Phase changer still doesn't help that much :p
    unholy, Mar 13, 2006
  13. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Why on earth would you think a phase changer wouldn't help that? If I hook up a Vapochill to a 3.6GHz Prescott core Intel I can overclock it to just under 6GHz and remain at 0 degrees celcius. How on earth is that not helping it?
    The Modfather, Mar 13, 2006
  14. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    ...it doesn't perform any better?.....
    bigal, Mar 13, 2006
  15. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    0° OMG OMG that high... Phase Changers can do -30°C :p
    unholy, Mar 14, 2006
  16. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Uh, I said with a PRESCOTT CORE P4 OVERCLOCKED TO ALMOST 6GHZ! You expected better than 0c? Do you know how hot a Prescott gets even when it isn't overclocked?
    The Modfather, Mar 14, 2006
  17. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I do. It's gonna dissipate 130 Watts under load, and probably 129 Watts at idle!
    bigal, Mar 14, 2006
  18. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    ummm do u know what a phase changer is Modfather? i certainly hope u do.

    Because a phase changer will certainly not drop down from its boiling point of for instance -30 °C the CPU is not going to Boil the Refridgarate so high it wont phase change back to liquid :p so i doubt a Prescott has that much power, maybe enough to cook an egg, but to boil a Phase Changed Liquid? if u said like -15°C its believeable because the head might be boiling the liquid before it can reach the head but its not likely going to be done like that because the compressor is moving to rapidly for it to dissapte any of the heat onto the incoming liquid, the outgoing liquid is already boiled because of the heat pad underneather the CPU which allows the Liquid to travel back to the compressor.
    unholy, Mar 14, 2006
  19. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    The Modfather, Mar 15, 2006
  20. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow. "Considering most people report temperatures of 70C+ on this processor with air cooling I'd say that -11C is no small accomplishment." I wish I had the Light Saber cooling system.
    bigal, Mar 15, 2006