    Pentium 4 - 2.6+GHz, this is what someone tells me, seems very surprising, i
    didn't think there would even exist a mobile cpu equivalent to a p4 2.6+GHz
    never mind that it would have specs that make it look a lot slower.

    oldoldold, Mar 6, 2006

  2. oldoldold wrote:
    > Is a Intel Pentium M (Centrino) - 1.4GHz 1MB L2 cache really equivalent to
    > Pentium 4 - 2.6+GHz, this is what someone tells me, seems very surprising, i
    > didn't think there would even exist a mobile cpu equivalent to a p4 2.6+GHz
    > never mind that it would have specs that make it look a lot slower.

    It is difficult to compare processors that are internally very
    different. The Pentium M processors perform very well despite their
    lower clock speed, and no doubt it will match or beat a Pentium 4 2.6 on
    some tasks. AMD processors are named after their 'equivalent' Pentium 4
    counterpart, and run at similar clock speeds to the Pentium M.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Mar 6, 2006

  3. oldoldold

    Nova Guest

    oldoldold wrote:
    > Is a Intel Pentium M (Centrino) - 1.4GHz 1MB L2 cache really equivalent to
    > Pentium 4 - 2.6+GHz, this is what someone tells me, seems very surprising, i
    > didn't think there would even exist a mobile cpu equivalent to a p4 2.6+GHz
    > never mind that it would have specs that make it look a lot slower.

    There are plenty of articles at Tomshardware about this
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/05/25/dothan_over_netburst/page22.html

    Basically P4's were inferior to p3's as far as how much work they can do
    per clock cycle and the Pentium M's are related more to p3's than p4's
    so they do far more work per clock than a p4.

    Pentium M's are great, I'd prefer to have a pentium M in my desktop pc
    than a p4 anyday or of course a nice AMD dual core beauty..

    Nova, Mar 6, 2006
  4. oldoldold

    oldoldold Guest

    "Nova" <> wrote in message news:440bb311$...
    > oldoldold wrote:
    > > Is a Intel Pentium M (Centrino) - 1.4GHz 1MB L2 cache really equivalent

    > > Pentium 4 - 2.6+GHz, this is what someone tells me, seems very

    surprising, i
    > > didn't think there would even exist a mobile cpu equivalent to a p4

    2.6+GHz
    > > never mind that it would have specs that make it look a lot slower.
    > >

    > There are plenty of articles at Tomshardware about this
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/05/25/dothan_over_netburst/page22.html
    >
    > Basically P4's were inferior to p3's as far as how much work they can do
    > per clock cycle and the Pentium M's are related more to p3's than p4's
    > so they do far more work per clock than a p4.
    >
    > Pentium M's are great, I'd prefer to have a pentium M in my desktop pc
    > than a p4 anyday or of course a nice AMD dual core beauty..

    Wow, both the replies i got were very surprising and interesting, I never
    would have guessed things were as you say, things have obviously got a lot
    more confusing for the average consumer.

    oldoldold, Mar 6, 2006
  5. oldoldold

    SchoolTech Guest

    oldoldold wrote:
    > Is a Intel Pentium M (Centrino) - 1.4GHz 1MB L2 cache really equivalent to
    > Pentium 4 - 2.6+GHz, this is what someone tells me, seems very surprising, i
    > didn't think there would even exist a mobile cpu equivalent to a p4 2.6+GHz
    > never mind that it would have specs that make it look a lot slower.

    Pentium M is where Pentium of the future is going, the P4 Prescott is
    being dumped in favour of a redeveloped Pentium M.

    SchoolTech, Mar 6, 2006
  6. oldoldold

    Mercury Guest

    "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    > oldoldold wrote:
    >> Is a Intel Pentium M (Centrino) - 1.4GHz 1MB L2 cache really equivalent
    >> Pentium 4 - 2.6+GHz, this is what someone tells me, seems very
    >> surprising, i
    >> didn't think there would even exist a mobile cpu equivalent to a p4
    >> 2.6+GHz
    >> never mind that it would have specs that make it look a lot slower.
    >>

    > Pentium M is where Pentium of the future is going, the P4 Prescott is
    > being dumped in favour of a redeveloped Pentium M.

    Agree. And oddly, it has been droves of tech savy Consumers telling Intel
    this! They finaly listened when AMD swooped on their market share with its
    low heat dissipation / high performance CPU's...

    Mercury, Mar 6, 2006
  7. oldoldold

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > oldoldold wrote:
    >> Is a Intel Pentium M (Centrino) - 1.4GHz 1MB L2 cache really
    >> equivalent to Pentium 4 - 2.6+GHz, this is what someone tells me,
    >> seems very surprising, i didn't think there would even exist a
    >> mobile cpu equivalent to a p4 2.6+GHz never mind that it would have
    >> specs that make it look a lot slower.

    > There are plenty of articles at Tomshardware about this
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/05/25/dothan_over_netburst/page22.html
    >
    > Basically P4's were inferior to p3's as far as how much work they can
    > do per clock cycle and the Pentium M's are related more to p3's than
    > p4's so they do far more work per clock than a p4.
    >
    > Pentium M's are great, I'd prefer to have a pentium M in my desktop pc
    > than a p4 anyday or of course a nice AMD dual core beauty..

    Good article, I hadn't seen that. That's basically what I've been saying
    about the whole Tualatin/Banias/Dothan Vs. P4 thing all along. Nice to see
    it all in one place. I don't know how I missed it, it's been out a while
    now.

    P4s were a marketing tool rather than a step forward in CPU technology. AMD
    had just beat Intel to 1GHz so Intel vowed to not let it happen again and
    designed a CPU that would do one thing well; Run at higher MHz than AMDs
    better-designed CPUs. Shame they dropped the best CPU they'd made to date,
    the Tualatin, in the process.

    Luckilly Intel's Israel R&D team kept playing with the Tualatin and came up
    with the "Pentium M", originally used only as part of the Centrino laptop
    package. However, it quickly became obvious that the CPU was far superior to
    the Pentium 4. Intel dragged it's heels on it though, pumping out bigger
    power-chewing P4s for a long time.

    Intel's immediate future lies with this CPU. Look out for it in Intel's
    upcoming multi-core offerings.

    When Intel dropped theTualtin and produced a CPU that had to be pumped up to
    a high rate of MHz to even compete with their own discontinued line (It
    wasn't until they got their P4s faster than 1.6GHz that they actually
    started to perform on a par with the 1.33GHz Pentium III). I stopped buying
    or recommending Intel. Things may change though if they continue with tis
    core.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 6, 2006
  8. oldoldold

    thing2 Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > oldoldold wrote:
    >
    >> Is a Intel Pentium M (Centrino) - 1.4GHz 1MB L2 cache really
    >> equivalent to
    >> Pentium 4 - 2.6+GHz, this is what someone tells me, seems very
    >> surprising, i
    >> didn't think there would even exist a mobile cpu equivalent to a p4
    >> 2.6+GHz
    >> never mind that it would have specs that make it look a lot slower.
    >>

    > There are plenty of articles at Tomshardware about this
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/05/25/dothan_over_netburst/page22.html

    A very interesting article.....thanks....

    regards

    thing

    thing2, Mar 7, 2006