    E. Scrooge Guest

    Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 16, 2006

  2. E. Scrooge

    bambam Guest

    "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in news:e9ccn4$1mp$1
    @nntp.aioe.org:

    > Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.

    OK here.

    --
    I support only two teams, the All Blacks, and anyone playing against
    Australia!

    bambam, Jul 16, 2006

  3. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "bambam" <> wrote in message
    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in news:e9ccn4$1mp$1
    > @nntp.aioe.org:
    >
    >> Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.

    > OK here.

    Thanks, it looks like Slingshot might be doing a server rebuild according to
    the "details" info.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 16, 2006
  4. E. Scrooge wrote:
    > Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Yeah, all day, and their helpdesk staff knew nothing about it late last
    night. That makes me so angry!

    I had to send them this...

    Error Earlier today (It's been throwing this error much of the day and
    counting up the completed newsgroups during the day).

    A News (NNTP) error occurred: initial server rebuild in progress
    (1514575 groups complete), please try again later.

    It now appears to have completed the repair, but is now generating this
    error for quite a number of the newsgroups. nz.comp, nz.general,
    nzpolitics etc to name a few.

    The newsgroup nz.comp does not appear to exist on the host
    news.slingshot.co.nz. Would you like to unsubscribe from it?

    Komrade Klark, Jul 16, 2006
  5. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Komrade Klark" <> wrote in
    message news:1153071350.532491@ftpsrv1...
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > Yeah, all day, and their helpdesk staff knew nothing about it late last
    > night. That makes me so angry!
    >
    > I had to send them this...
    >
    > Error Earlier today (It's been throwing this error much of the day and
    > counting up the completed newsgroups during the day).
    >
    > A News (NNTP) error occurred: initial server rebuild in progress
    > (1514575 groups complete), please try again later.
    >

    > It now appears to have completed the repair, but is now generating this
    > error for quite a number of the newsgroups. nz.comp, nz.general,
    > nzpolitics etc to name a few.
    >
    > The newsgroup nz.comp does not appear to exist on the host
    > news.slingshot.co.nz. Would you like to unsubscribe from it?

    I got the NZ groups last night, it was a while before I could post to them
    using Slingshot though. If you haven't lost the groups to select you'll
    need to unsubscribe from them and reset the entire list of newsgroups. Then
    you should see the NZ ones on the list and be able to use them.

    A fat lot of good Slingshot's Network Status is, and ihug's status is full
    of blame on Telecom.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 16, 2006
  6. E. Scrooge

    bAZZ Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Woke up some time last night I believe. Just got all my groups updated.

    Hi Scroogie, how you doin. Been awhile since I have been posting and
    back online.

    I too have joined slingshot and *hope* to have adsl hooked up by 25th (
    2 week wait so far). Should have checked with you as you have been with
    them awhile as to their news server and its issues. Must say it has shit
    itself 1st week I have used it (last nite) so not looking good. apart
    from google groups do you have a back up free server for times like this
    ? I used read.free.groups (i think) but can't post with it so any
    suggestions. Did use another one about year ago that was good but cannot
    remember it. Better start searching google groups for thread cos I do
    remember discussing it here about then.

    Ihug feed..... Ye ha. hope it is better than it used to be with all the
    crap that it entailed a while back LOL.

    See Ya
    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Jul 17, 2006
  7. E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "Komrade Klark" <> wrote in
    > message news:1153071350.532491@ftpsrv1...
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>> Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge

    >> Yeah, all day, and their helpdesk staff knew nothing about it late last
    >> night. That makes me so angry!
    >>
    >> I had to send them this...
    >>
    >> Error Earlier today (It's been throwing this error much of the day and
    >> counting up the completed newsgroups during the day).
    >>
    >> A News (NNTP) error occurred: initial server rebuild in progress
    >> (1514575 groups complete), please try again later.
    >>

    >> It now appears to have completed the repair, but is now generating this
    >> error for quite a number of the newsgroups. nz.comp, nz.general,
    >> nzpolitics etc to name a few.
    >>
    >> The newsgroup nz.comp does not appear to exist on the host
    >> news.slingshot.co.nz. Would you like to unsubscribe from it?

    > I got the NZ groups last night, it was a while before I could post to them
    > using Slingshot though. If you haven't lost the groups to select you'll
    > need to unsubscribe from them and reset the entire list of newsgroups. Then
    > you should see the NZ ones on the list and be able to use them.
    >
    > A fat lot of good Slingshot's Network Status is, and ihug's status is full
    > of blame on Telecom.

    cheers... it came right after the 'apparent' second part of the completed.

    Komrade Klark, Jul 17, 2006
  8. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "bAZZ" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > Woke up some time last night I believe. Just got all my groups updated.
    >
    > Hi Scroogie, how you doin. Been awhile since I have been posting and back
    > online.
    >
    > I too have joined slingshot and *hope* to have adsl hooked up by 25th ( 2
    > week wait so far). Should have checked with you as you have been with them
    > awhile as to their news server and its issues. Must say it has shit itself
    > 1st week I have used it (last nite) so not looking good. apart from google
    > groups do you have a back up free server for times like this ? I used
    > read.free.groups (i think) but can't post with it so any suggestions. Did
    > use another one about year ago that was good but cannot remember it.
    > Better start searching google groups for thread cos I do remember
    > discussing it here about then.
    >
    > Ihug feed..... Ye ha. hope it is better than it used to be with all the
    > crap that it entailed a while back LOL.
    >
    > See Ya
    > bAZZ

    ihug's news service has improved somewhat. With everything else Slingshot
    is a lot more reliable, especially over the Christmas period which gets
    bigger loads than the rest of the year.

    Good free news service is *nntp.aioe.org*. Pretty reliable. You can send
    up to 25 posts a day on it, read as many as you like. A lot of Xtra users
    are now using it, no other choice unless they leave Xtra.

    Be good to see Slingshot Broadband goes for you.

    Cheers,
    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 17, 2006
  9. E. Scrooge

    Lynn Guest

    > Good free news service is *nntp.aioe.org*. Pretty reliable. You can send
    > up to 25 posts a day on it, read as many as you like. A lot of Xtra users
    > are now using it, no other choice unless they leave Xtra.
    >
    > Be good to see Slingshot Broadband goes for you.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > E. Scrooge

    Hi, Im having trouble seeing messages with aioe.org. I seem to be able
    to read a dozen or so messages and then the message bodies stop loading.
    I can still see the subject titles but no messages. what could be
    causing this?
    Lynn ps sorry for repeating myself but cant see any sign of my original
    post so aive hijacked this one. :)

    Lynn, Jul 17, 2006
  10. E. Scrooge

    bAZZ Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "bAZZ" <> wrote in message
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>> Because Slingshot's news server with feed from ihug isn't.
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge

    >> Woke up some time last night I believe. Just got all my groups updated.
    >>
    >> Hi Scroogie, how you doin. Been awhile since I have been posting and back
    >> online.
    >>
    >> I too have joined slingshot and *hope* to have adsl hooked up by 25th ( 2
    >> week wait so far). Should have checked with you as you have been with them
    >> awhile as to their news server and its issues. Must say it has shit itself
    >> 1st week I have used it (last nite) so not looking good. apart from google
    >> groups do you have a back up free server for times like this ? I used
    >> read.free.groups (i think) but can't post with it so any suggestions. Did
    >> use another one about year ago that was good but cannot remember it.
    >> Better start searching google groups for thread cos I do remember
    >> discussing it here about then.
    >>
    >> Ihug feed..... Ye ha. hope it is better than it used to be with all the
    >> crap that it entailed a while back LOL.
    >>
    >> See Ya
    >> bAZZ

    > ihug's news service has improved somewhat. With everything else Slingshot
    > is a lot more reliable, especially over the Christmas period which gets
    > bigger loads than the rest of the year.
    >
    > Good free news service is *nntp.aioe.org*. Pretty reliable. You can send
    > up to 25 posts a day on it, read as many as you like. A lot of Xtra users
    > are now using it, no other choice unless they leave Xtra.
    >
    > Be good to see Slingshot Broadband goes for you.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > E. Scrooge

    Cheers Scrooge will check em out.

    Yeah looking forward to it getting hooked up. In a year the whole
    landscape has changed regarding broadband. when last on used to fret
    over the 10 gig cap and 64k throttling. Now there are plans at 3.5m up
    to 100 gig for around hundred - hndred fifty bucks or so. I 've settled
    for 20 to 35 if needed a month. Should be ample. Can now enable
    broadband in kids rooms and xbox live without worrying too much about a
    cap. Be good.

    See Ya

    bAZZ .. >>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you try me, you'll buy me
    If you buy me, you'll use me
    If you use me, you'll abuse me
    If you abuse me, I'll own you.

    bAZZ, Jul 17, 2006
  11. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Lynn" <> wrote in message
    >> Good free news service is *nntp.aioe.org*. Pretty reliable. You can
    >> send up to 25 posts a day on it, read as many as you like. A lot of Xtra
    >> users are now using it, no other choice unless they leave Xtra.
    >>
    >> Be good to see Slingshot Broadband goes for you.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> E. Scrooge

    > Hi, Im having trouble seeing messages with aioe.org. I seem to be able to
    > read a dozen or so messages and then the message bodies stop loading. I
    > can still see the subject titles but no messages. what could be causing
    > this?
    > Lynn ps sorry for repeating myself but cant see any sign of my original
    > post so aive hijacked this one. :)

    Some long posts with over 200 lines might not show up on aioe. I know when
    sending posts using it that they can't be too long over a 100 lines I think.
    They have a some outages but it 's free. It's been going for a few years
    now. You might've have just struck a bad time.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 17, 2006