    I am considering both. They have similar specs but the Emachine has a 120 gig
    hard drive while the HP has 80. Which is more reliable and has the better tech
    support? Thanks!

    Kailey11, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Kailey11, please buy the HP unit by all means. The EMachine has the better
    price but it does comes with a lot of issues as well and doesn't have the
    best tech support. HP which also have Compaq computers is the better choice
    and if you need more hard drive space you can always upgrade at a later
    time. HP units also have better tech support as well.

    Carlis
    Computer Doctor

    Computer Doctor, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Kailey11

    Thor Guest

    LOL, IMHO that's like trying to decide which smells worse, dog shit, or cat
    shit. I think both brands are probably on-par with each other
    reliability-wise. I've had to work on a lot more HPs, but that's because
    there are a lot more HPs out there in people's homes and offices than
    E-Machines. I Hate em' both, because they often use the cheapest parts out
    there, (with the exception of when HP was using chiefly Asus boards in their
    Pavilions), often have cheap barely adeqate power supplies (replaced a bunch
    of HP and Emachine PSUs over the years), and often use cramped cases that
    make adding cards or upgrading a pain in the ass.

    Thor, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Kailey11

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > I Hate em' both, because they often use the cheapest parts out
    > there, (with the exception of when HP was using chiefly Asus boards in
    > their Pavilions), often have cheap barely adeqate power supplies
    > (replaced a bunch of HP and Emachine PSUs over the years), and often
    > use cramped cases that make adding cards or upgrading a pain in the
    > ass.

    With older emachines I found the only major problem was they would sell you
    a Celeron 450 with 10 gig hard drive and Windows 98, buncha "free"
    applications, and give you 32 megs of RAM to run it on. Spend another $60
    out of pocket to go to 128/192/256, the machines ran great!

    I am liking the new emachines more and more, and I don't think anyone makes
    a better laptop than eMachine's new A64 laptop, though we'll see in a few
    years how reliable they are.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 24, 2004
  5. Kailey11

    Wizard Guest

    X-No-Archive:Yes

    Here are my personal ratings based on Performance, Quality, Tech Support
    and compatibility. 10 = Best, 0 = DO NOT BUY (even if free):

    Dell ................. 7.9 (fails in Customer/tech support)
    Micron ............... 7.5 (inflexible and pricey)
    IBM .................. 6.5
    Gateway .............. 5.9
    Compaq ............... 5.2
    Acer ................. 4.9
    Sony ................. 4.2
    AOpen ................ 3.9
    EMachines ............ 3.0
    HP ................... 2.9
    NEC/Packard Bell ..... 2.0
    Daewoo ............... 0.2 (anything from them)

    Shop/Custom built machines are impossible to give a general rating
    because they are all different and vary daily, although it is here that
    you find the ratings of 9's and 10's..

    Wizard, Feb 24, 2004
  6. Kailey11

    olfart Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "Thor" <> wrote in news::
    >
    > > I Hate em' both, because they often use the cheapest parts out
    > > there, (with the exception of when HP was using chiefly Asus boards in
    > > their Pavilions), often have cheap barely adeqate power supplies
    > > (replaced a bunch of HP and Emachine PSUs over the years), and often
    > > use cramped cases that make adding cards or upgrading a pain in the
    > > ass.
    > >

    > With older emachines I found the only major problem was they would sell

    you
    > a Celeron 450 with 10 gig hard drive and Windows 98, buncha "free"
    > applications, and give you 32 megs of RAM to run it on. Spend another $60
    > out of pocket to go to 128/192/256, the machines ran great!
    >
    > I am liking the new emachines more and more, and I don't think anyone

    makes
    > a better laptop than eMachine's new A64 laptop, though we'll see in a few
    > years how reliable they are.
    >
    > --

    I've got 2 eMachines (400mhz) both about 5 yrs old. Upped the Ram to 160meg.
    One HD recently went bad-other than that-no problems for general and web
    use. Can't update the video, but am not into gaming anyway.

    olfart, Feb 24, 2004
  7. Kailey11

    chuckie® Guest

    I'll second 'Thor's' comment, and say go with neither...

    chuckie®, Feb 25, 2004
  8. Kailey11

    Alex Devlin Guest

    On 24 Feb 2004, Wizard wrote:

    > X-No-Archive:Yes
    >
    > Here are my personal ratings based on Performance, Quality, Tech
    > Support and compatibility. 10 = Best, 0 = DO NOT BUY (even if free):
    >
    > Dell ................. 7.9 (fails in Customer/tech support)
    > Micron ............... 7.5 (inflexible and pricey)
    > IBM .................. 6.5
    > Gateway .............. 5.9
    > Compaq ............... 5.2
    > Acer ................. 4.9
    > Sony ................. 4.2
    > AOpen ................ 3.9
    > EMachines ............ 3.0
    > HP ................... 2.9
    > NEC/Packard Bell ..... 2.0
    > Daewoo ............... 0.2 (anything from them)
    >
    > Shop/Custom built machines are impossible to give a general rating
    > because they are all different and vary daily, although it is here
    > that you find the ratings of 9's and 10's..

    I work with a guy that used to work for tech support for Dell.
    He mentioned that Dell, Gateway and Compaq are all built in the same
    factory and the tech support works out of the same call center. He had a
    person sitting on one side of him that answered Gateway calls and another
    close by that answered Compaq calls.

    No idea if it's true or not, just passing on the info.

    --
    Alex Devlin

    Good friends will bail you out of jail...
    ... True friends will be sitting there with you saying "Damn. That was
    fun!"

    Alex Devlin, Feb 25, 2004
  9. Kailey11

    BillKirch Guest

    I hate Dell. If you buy an internal DVD burner you have to buy THIER DVD
    Burner. Same with just about every Peripheral.

    BG

    BillKirch, Feb 25, 2004
  10. Kailey11

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Alex Devlin" <Alex@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > I work with a guy that used to work for tech support for Dell.
    > He mentioned that Dell, Gateway and Compaq are all built in the same
    > factory and the tech support works out of the same call center. He had a
    > person sitting on one side of him that answered Gateway calls and another
    > close by that answered Compaq calls.
    >
    > No idea if it's true or not, just passing on the info.
    >
    > --
    > Alex Devlin

    No, it's not true at all.

    Michael-NC, Feb 25, 2004
  11. Kailey11

    Thor Guest

    > I work with a guy that used to work for tech support for Dell.
    > He mentioned that Dell, Gateway and Compaq are all built in the same
    > factory and the tech support works out of the same call center. He had a
    > person sitting on one side of him that answered Gateway calls and another
    > close by that answered Compaq calls.
    >
    > No idea if it's true or not, just passing on the info.

    The guy is full of crap. They may subcontract with the same tech support
    firms at times (this isn't uncommon), but they sure as hell aren't built at
    the same factories.

    Thor, Feb 25, 2004
  12. Kailey11

    Thor Guest

    "BillKirch" <> wrote in message
    > I hate Dell. If you buy an internal DVD burner you have to buy THIER DVD
    > Burner. Same with just about every Peripheral.

    um, since when?

    Thor, Feb 25, 2004
  13. Kailey11

    Trent© Guest

    On 24 Feb 2004 13:37:55 GMT, (Kailey11) wrote:

    >I am considering both. They have similar specs but the Emachine has a 120 gig
    >hard drive while the HP has 80. Which is more reliable and has the better tech
    >support? Thanks!

    eMachines are excellent machines for the money.

    P.S. The more reliable machine doesn't NEED better tech support.
    Besides...you have US!! lol

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 26, 2004
  14. Kailey11

    George Guest

    That really depends on the business model du jour. I used to work at HP and
    some systems were our designs built by contract manufacturers of our
    choosing and other systems were designed by other companies and built by
    them as well and were ALSO sold by other companies (Dell, IBM)...we had some
    proprietary content in them but it was basically for system management
    purposes. As for being built in the same factory, the general public has a
    major misconception as almost all products today are manufactured by
    contract manufacturers...today's marketing companies do not want to have
    production personnel on the payroll (and have to keep them busy) and much of
    the manufacturing equipment is very expensive without "sharing the cost"
    between a number of companies (which is the effect a CM has).

    George, Feb 26, 2004
  15. Kailey11

    George Guest

    This newsgroup IS usually much faster tech support! (And usually at least
    as good, too.)

    George

    George, Feb 26, 2004