    a decent accomplishment. If the image is "enhanced or and outright
    fake" I hope they get their asses sued off for false advertising.

    http://www.physorg.com/news7300.html
    Rich, Oct 17, 2005

  2. Rich

    Large Farva Guest

    They're probably just sick of losing business to Dell with their
    disposeable, 3rd world country made crappy computers. They have to do what
    they can to keep up.

    Large Farva, Oct 18, 2005

  3. Rich

    Alpha Guest

    "Large Farva" <> wrote in message
    > They're probably just sick of losing business to Dell with their
    > disposeable, 3rd world country made crappy computers. They have to do what
    > they can to keep up.
    >

    > "Rich" <> wrote in message
    >>I lost respect for this company when they stopped concentrating on
    >> high end test equipment and started churning out mediocre,
    >> non-upgradable computers.

    Quite true and sad. And it is why the David Packard foundation and clan
    have been fighting tooth and nail to stop this.
    Alpha, Oct 18, 2005
  4. Rich

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 02:12:16 GMT, Large Farva <> wrote:

    >They're probably just sick of losing business to Dell with their
    >disposeable, 3rd world country made crappy computers. They have to do what
    >they can to keep up.

    As opposed to HP's disposable 3rd world country crappy computers?
    AZ Nomad, Oct 18, 2005
  5. Rich

    LittleOldMe Guest

    Ever since HP outsourced its engineering
    to India and gave its executives bonuses for doing so,
    it has been a shit company. But hey, the investor
    class likes it that way, so it must be right.
    LittleOldMe, Oct 18, 2005
  6. Rich

    Goro Guest

    LittleOldMe wrote:
    > Ever since HP outsourced its engineering
    > to India and gave its executives bonuses for doing so,
    > it has been a shit company. But hey, the investor
    > class likes it that way, so it must be right.

    Somehwat OT, but recently at work, we got in a new batch of HP
    printers. The design looks totally different and the workmanship
    "seems" much better. it has some interesting features like builtin
    wireless. My question is has there been some sort of revamp at the
    printer department of HP?

    -goro-
    Goro, Oct 18, 2005
  7. Rich

    Large Farva Guest

    "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 02:12:16 GMT, Large Farva <> wrote:
    >

    >>They're probably just sick of losing business to Dell with their
    >>disposeable, 3rd world country made crappy computers. They have to do what
    >>they can to keep up.

    > As opposed to HP's disposable 3rd world country crappy computers?

    As I said, HP had to quit making nicely built computers because they were
    losing business to Dell who sells pure crap which is made in a 3rd world
    sweat shop for 2 pennies an hour. What's HP going to do, just say "screw it,
    Dell can have the market. We're closing up shop". No, they had to do the
    same thing Dell was doing so they wouldn't go out of business. It's sad,
    really.
    Large Farva, Oct 19, 2005
  8. Rich

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:13:50 GMT, Large Farva <> wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 02:12:16 GMT, Large Farva <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>They're probably just sick of losing business to Dell with their
    >>>disposeable, 3rd world country made crappy computers. They have to do what
    >>>they can to keep up.

    >> As opposed to HP's disposable 3rd world country crappy computers?

    >As I said, HP had to quit making nicely built computers because they were
    >losing business to Dell who sells pure crap which is made in a 3rd world
    >sweat shop for 2 pennies an hour. What's HP going to do, just say "screw it,
    >Dell can have the market. We're closing up shop". No, they had to do the
    >same thing Dell was doing so they wouldn't go out of business. It's sad,
    >really.

    Assume Dell doesn't exist. Would you pay $5500 for an HP PC equal to today's
    $800 clone? Don't forget that it'll be obsolete in 4 years.

    Dell isn't the only reason HP followed the industry to cut manufacturing costs.
    AZ Nomad, Oct 19, 2005
  9. Rich

    Rich Guest

    wrote:

    >They're probably just sick of losing business to Dell with their
    >disposeable, 3rd world country made crappy computers. They have to do what
    >they can to keep up.

    Michael Dell and his whore deals with Intel have destined him for
    Hell.
    -Rich
    Rich, Oct 20, 2005
  10. Rich

    Rich Guest

    wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 02:12:16 GMT, Large Farva <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>They're probably just sick of losing business to Dell with their
    >>>disposeable, 3rd world country made crappy computers. They have to do what
    >>>they can to keep up.

    >> As opposed to HP's disposable 3rd world country crappy computers?

    >As I said, HP had to quit making nicely built computers because they were
    >losing business to Dell who sells pure crap which is made in a 3rd world
    >sweat shop for 2 pennies an hour. What's HP going to do, just say "screw it,
    >Dell can have the market. We're closing up shop". No, they had to do the
    >same thing Dell was doing so they wouldn't go out of business. It's sad,
    >really.

    Check out the satisfaction ratings on "pricegrabber" for Dell Home
    Office. It's hilarious.
    -Rich
    Rich, Oct 20, 2005
  11. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On 18 Oct 2005 08:20:09 -0700, "Goro" <> wrote:

    >LittleOldMe wrote:
    >> Ever since HP outsourced its engineering
    >> to India and gave its executives bonuses for doing so,
    >> it has been a shit company. But hey, the investor
    >> class likes it that way, so it must be right.

    >Somehwat OT, but recently at work, we got in a new batch of HP
    >printers. The design looks totally different and the workmanship
    >"seems" much better. it has some interesting features like builtin
    >wireless. My question is has there been some sort of revamp at the
    >printer department of HP?
    >
    >-goro-

    Don't forget to face East and bow to Canon, who made those printers
    (their engines) possible for HP to sell.
    -Rich
    Rich, Oct 20, 2005
  12. Rich

    Alpha Guest

    If you think it is price that takes people to Dell, you are in great
    delusion. We have hundreds of past and recent machines and ONLY ONE had to
    have a fan replaced.

    I think you have no experience, no expertise, and no sense.

    PS

    Dell phone support via India is a travesty.
    Alpha, Oct 20, 2005
  13. Rich

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:07:14 -0700, Alpha <> wrote:

    >If you think it is price that takes people to Dell, you are in great
    >delusion. We have hundreds of past and recent machines and ONLY ONE had to
    >have a fan replaced.

    Bigger problems with dell are their hard drives -- lots of failures there-- and
    their proprietary case and connectors. Dell's power supplies now use a
    standard atx connector (for the longest time they moved the pins around to make
    replacement with industry standard power supplies impossible), but dell cases
    only have an opening for the power cord in one place; a power supply
    replacement is typically $150 instead of $50. A motherboard replacement is
    $300-800 instead of $65-200, again due to the proprietary connectors.

    And of course, dell's phone support answer to everybody is to do a 'system
    restore' and most of the time they don't think its necessary to mention the
    tiny little fact that all the user's data will be blown away. Ditto for their
    onsite service: call about a failing hard drive and they'll replace it and
    make no effort to copy the data from the old drive. Having both old and new
    connected and running ghost is beyond their technical skills.
    AZ Nomad, Oct 20, 2005
  14. On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:57:51 GMT, AZ Nomad <>
    Gave us:

    >On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:13:50 GMT, Large Farva <> wrote:
    >

    >>"AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message

    >>> As opposed to HP's disposable 3rd world country crappy computers?

    >>As I said, HP had to quit making nicely built computers because they were
    >>losing business to Dell who sells pure crap which is made in a 3rd world
    >>sweat shop for 2 pennies an hour. What's HP going to do, just say "screw it,
    >>Dell can have the market. We're closing up shop". No, they had to do the
    >>same thing Dell was doing so they wouldn't go out of business. It's sad,
    >>really.

    >Assume Dell doesn't exist. Would you pay $5500 for an HP PC equal to today's
    >$800 clone? Don't forget that it'll be obsolete in 4 years.
    >
    >Dell isn't the only reason HP followed the industry to cut manufacturing costs.

    Good point.

    HP has Agilent for the industrial quality stuff.

    A friggin PC and a printer should be nearly as disposable as a wrist
    watch is. When was the last time you got a bad chip replaced on your
    MOBO? I'd say NEVER.

    Just replace the entire MOBO.

    But that's where we need to put our minds. If you want a twenty year
    PC, you should make a twenty year case, and then mutate the guts as
    time and technology goes by, keeping the machine up to snuff.

    They need to be, and nearly are as ubiquitous as a wrist watch.

    How many old cell phones do you have lying around, or have trashed?
    NunYa Bidness, Oct 21, 2005
  15. On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:54:16 -0400, Rich <> Gave us:

    >On 18 Oct 2005 08:20:09 -0700, "Goro" <> wrote:
    >

    >>LittleOldMe wrote:
    >>> Ever since HP outsourced its engineering
    >>> to India and gave its executives bonuses for doing so,
    >>> it has been a shit company. But hey, the investor
    >>> class likes it that way, so it must be right.

    >>Somehwat OT, but recently at work, we got in a new batch of HP
    >>printers. The design looks totally different and the workmanship
    >>"seems" much better. it has some interesting features like builtin
    >>wireless. My question is has there been some sort of revamp at the
    >>printer department of HP?
    >>
    >>-goro-

    >Don't forget to face East and bow to Canon, who made those printers
    >(their engines) possible for HP to sell.
    >-Rich

    HP used canon print engines? Are you sure?

    I thought HP made their own. They were into plotters long before any
    of the other players were.
    NunYa Bidness, Oct 21, 2005
  16. Rich

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:41:55 GMT, NunYa Bidness <> wrote:

    > But that's where we need to put our minds. If you want a twenty year
    >PC, you should make a twenty year case, and then mutate the guts as
    >time and technology goes by, keeping the machine up to snuff.

    Works for me. I've owned two cases since I bought my first IBM PC clone in
    late '93. The first case started life as a 33mhz 486, then a 120mhz 586 and
    finally as a 200mhz pentium before being retired. It was retired because the
    case was an obsolete AT case. It's replacement, an atx case, started life as a
    dual P3 motherboard that only ever had one cpu installed, then a athlon 1800
    and currently an athlon 2800. It is soon to be upgraded to an amd64.

    It gets upgraded about every 9 months, last upgrade was to replace three
    80G drives with a pair of 250G drives.

    I've sold used computers made up of retired parts.
    AZ Nomad, Oct 22, 2005
  17. NunYa Bidness <> writes:

    > On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:54:16 -0400, Rich <> Gave us:

    >>>Somehwat OT, but recently at work, we got in a new batch of HP
    >>>printers. The design looks totally different and the workmanship
    >>>"seems" much better. it has some interesting features like builtin
    >>>wireless. My question is has there been some sort of revamp at the
    >>>printer department of HP?
    >>>
    >>>-goro-

    >>Don't forget to face East and bow to Canon, who made those printers
    >>(their engines) possible for HP to sell.
    >>-Rich

    > HP used canon print engines? Are you sure?
    >
    > I thought HP made their own. They were into plotters long before any
    > of the other players were.

    The first LaserJet:s used a Canon (CX?) engine. The same that Apple
    used for their first LaserWriter. Many later printers have also used
    Canon print engines.

    You just need to check some cross reference list for toner cartridges
    to see that they use the same print engine, and I don't think Canon
    would buy engines from HP ;-)
    Thomas Tornblom, Oct 22, 2005
  18. On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:13:36 GMT, Thomas Tornblom <> Gave
    us:

    >NunYa Bidness <> writes:

    >>>Don't forget to face East and bow to Canon, who made those printers
    >>>(their engines) possible for HP to sell.
    >>>-Rich

    >> HP used canon print engines? Are you sure?
    >>
    >> I thought HP made their own. They were into plotters long before any
    >> of the other players were.

    >The first LaserJet:s used a Canon (CX?) engine. The same that Apple
    >used for their first LaserWriter. Many later printers have also used
    >Canon print engines.
    >
    >You just need to check some cross reference list for toner cartridges
    >to see that they use the same print engine, and I don't think Canon
    >would buy engines from HP ;-)

    I'm reasonably sure that the printers being referred to in the thread
    are jet printers, not laser printers. I'm also pretty sure that HP
    quit using canon print engines several years ago.
    NunYa Bidness, Oct 24, 2005