Is HD-DVD really rippable?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Rexunrex@yahoo.com, Dec 31, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi folks,

    Like many of you, I've heard the news that HD-DVD
    encryption has already been bypassed. However I wonder
    if this is really the case. Is there anybody who can verify
    that it works, e.g. using the new Microsoft HD-DVD
    $200 external USB drive?

    And, what kind of CPU speed and hard drive speed
    is required to play back a ripped HD-DVD, which
    I assume is MPEG2...?

    Thanks.
     
    , Dec 31, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Like many of you, I've heard the news that HD-DVD
    > encryption has already been bypassed.


    Good, then you've already heard it was a mistake, and since corrected by
    the companies and studios:
    http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6403011.html

    Derek Janssen (not good news for owners of early Warner and Universal HD)
     
    Derek Janssen, Dec 31, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Like many of you, I've heard the news that HD-DVD
    > encryption has already been bypassed. However I wonder
    > if this is really the case. Is there anybody who can verify
    > that it works, e.g. using the new Microsoft HD-DVD
    > $200 external USB drive?
    >
    > And, what kind of CPU speed and hard drive speed
    > is required to play back a ripped HD-DVD, which
    > I assume is MPEG2...?




    they can be mpeg2 - but fortunately most are a better mpeg4 based codec.



    --
    Gareth.
    A french man who wanted a castle threw his cat into a pond.
    http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/dsbmusic/
     
    the dog from that film you saw, Jan 1, 2007
    #3
  4. JoeBloe Guest

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 18:52:04 -0500, Derek Janssen
    <> Gave us:

    > wrote:
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> Like many of you, I've heard the news that HD-DVD
    >> encryption has already been bypassed.

    >
    >Good, then you've already heard it was a mistake, and since corrected by
    >the companies and studios:
    >http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6403011.html
    >


    Not to mention that a USB connected HD DVD drive for a PC is not
    likely the best interface for such huge streams.

    It makes a good data drive, but I would never place additional
    communications layers between my A/V media, and its rendering
    hardware. A USB HD DVD drive is not very likely a good choice for
    doing any good A/V work.
     
    JoeBloe, Jan 1, 2007
    #4
  5. Yes I already have many HD-DVD and BlueRay Movies downloaded. This is
    old news.

    Move on people.


    On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 09:10:30 -0000, "the dog from that film you saw"
    <> wrote:

    >
    ><> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> Like many of you, I've heard the news that HD-DVD
    >> encryption has already been bypassed. However I wonder
    >> if this is really the case. Is there anybody who can verify
    >> that it works, e.g. using the new Microsoft HD-DVD
    >> $200 external USB drive?
    >>
    >> And, what kind of CPU speed and hard drive speed
    >> is required to play back a ripped HD-DVD, which
    >> I assume is MPEG2...?

    >
    >
    >
    >they can be mpeg2 - but fortunately most are a better mpeg4 based codec.
     
    Home Theatre Guy, Mar 2, 2007
    #5
  6. MassiveProng Guest

    On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 03:55:24 +1100, Home Theatre Guy <Home Theatre
    Guy> Gave us:

    >Yes I already have many HD-DVD and BlueRay Movies downloaded. This is
    >old news.
    >
    >Move on people.
    >



    No, top posting twit... you do not.

    A downconverted rip of HD is NOT HD.

    You would have been better off ripping the standard version.
    Since a twit like you is oblivious to the change, you would be
    oblivious to the difference between King Kong off DVD or King Kong off
    HD DVD, and that I'd bet on.
     
    MassiveProng, Mar 2, 2007
    #6
  7. WinField Guest

    Home Theatre Guy wrote:
    >
    > Yes I already have many HD-DVD and BlueRay Movies downloaded. This is
    > old news.
    >
    > Move on people.



    Home Theater is irrelavent, out-dated and a TOTAL waste of money. You
    really should consider moving on, HTGuy. Life is short.

    - winf
     
    WinField, Mar 2, 2007
    #7
  8. In message news:, MassiveProng
    sprach forth the following:

    > No, top posting twit... you do not.
    >
    > A downconverted rip of HD is NOT HD.


    The rips AREN'T "downconverted", dickwash.
     
    Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute, Mar 2, 2007
    #8
  9. <Home Theatre Guy> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    >
    > Yes I already have many HD-DVD and BlueRay Movies downloaded. This is
    > old news.
    >
    > Move on people.




    you were replying to a post made on the 1st of january you loon.



    --
    Gareth.
    A french man who wanted a castle threw his cat into a pond.
    http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/dsbmusic/
     
    the dog from that film you saw, Mar 2, 2007
    #9
  10. "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 03:55:24 +1100, Home Theatre Guy <Home Theatre
    > Guy> Gave us:
    >
    >>Yes I already have many HD-DVD and BlueRay Movies downloaded. This is
    >>old news.
    >>
    >>Move on people.
    >>

    >
    >
    > No, top posting twit... you do not.
    >
    > A downconverted rip of HD is NOT HD.
    >
    > You would have been better off ripping the standard version.
    > Since a twit like you is oblivious to the change, you would be
    > oblivious to the difference between King Kong off DVD or King Kong off
    > HD DVD, and that I'd bet on.




    you're mad too - intact rips of blu ray and hd dvds are out - no
    downconversion performed.


    --
    Gareth.
    A french man who wanted a castle threw his cat into a pond.
    http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/dsbmusic/
     
    the dog from that film you saw, Mar 2, 2007
    #10
  11. MassiveProng Guest

    On 02 Mar 2007 18:41:57 GMT, "Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute"
    <> Gave us:

    >In message news:, MassiveProng
    >sprach forth the following:
    >
    >> No, top posting twit... you do not.
    >>
    >> A downconverted rip of HD is NOT HD.

    >
    >The rips AREN'T "downconverted", dickwash.



    Wanna bet? If the ISO image isn't 20 plus GigaBytes in size, it IS
    downconverted, dumbshit. Try again.
     
    MassiveProng, Mar 2, 2007
    #11
  12. MassiveProng Guest

    On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 19:24:17 -0000, "the dog from that film you saw"
    <> Gave us:

    >you're mad too - intact rips of blu ray and hd dvds are out - no
    >downconversion performed.



    How big is the image file size?
     
    MassiveProng, Mar 2, 2007
    #12
  13. "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 19:24:17 -0000, "the dog from that film you saw"
    > <> Gave us:
    >
    >>you're mad too - intact rips of blu ray and hd dvds are out - no
    >>downconversion performed.

    >
    >
    > How big is the image file size?



    exactly the same size as the original - why do you find it so hard to
    believe that such things are out when the fact that the protection has been
    cracked is so well known ?
    just look in alt.binaries.hdtv if you don't believe - babel was posted
    yesterday - about 24-28 gigs from memory.



    --
    Gareth.
    A french man who wanted a castle threw his cat into a pond.
    http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/dsbmusic/
     
    the dog from that film you saw, Mar 2, 2007
    #13
  14. Alpha Guest

    "the dog from that film you saw" <> wrote
    in message news:...
    >
    > "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 19:24:17 -0000, "the dog from that film you saw"
    >> <> Gave us:
    >>
    >>>you're mad too - intact rips of blu ray and hd dvds are out - no
    >>>downconversion performed.

    >>
    >>
    >> How big is the image file size?

    >
    >
    > exactly the same size as the original - why do you find it so hard to
    > believe that such things are out when the fact that the protection has
    > been cracked is so well known ?
    > just look in alt.binaries.hdtv if you don't believe - babel was posted
    > yesterday - about 24-28 gigs from memory.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Gareth.
    > A french man who wanted a castle threw his cat into a pond.
    > http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/dsbmusic/
    >


    This is true. However, new encryption codes are being inserted into the new
    discs that are coming out that will make the discs again inviolate.
     
    Alpha, Mar 2, 2007
    #14
  15. Alpha Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    news:esaac3$sq$...
    >
    > "the dog from that film you saw" <>
    > wrote in message news:...
    >>
    >> "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    >> message news:...
    >>> On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 19:24:17 -0000, "the dog from that film you saw"
    >>> <> Gave us:
    >>>
    >>>>you're mad too - intact rips of blu ray and hd dvds are out - no
    >>>>downconversion performed.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> How big is the image file size?

    >>
    >>
    >> exactly the same size as the original - why do you find it so hard to
    >> believe that such things are out when the fact that the protection has
    >> been cracked is so well known ?
    >> just look in alt.binaries.hdtv if you don't believe - babel was posted
    >> yesterday - about 24-28 gigs from memory.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gareth.
    >> A french man who wanted a castle threw his cat into a pond.
    >> http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/dsbmusic/
    >>

    >
    > This is true. However, new encryption codes are being inserted into the
    > new discs that are coming out that will make the discs again inviolate.
    >


    PS You did know that the copy protection system can re-program itself?
     
    Alpha, Mar 2, 2007
    #15
  16. WinField Guest

    Alpha wrote:

    SNIP
    (the dog from the film you say) said somewhere:

    >>>exactly the same size as the original - why do you find it so hard to
    >>>believe that such things are out when the fact that the protection has
    >>>been cracked is so well known ?
    >>>just look in alt.binaries.hdtv if you don't believe - babel was posted
    >>>yesterday - about 24-28 gigs from memory.




    >>This is true. However, new encryption codes are being inserted into the
    >>new discs that are coming out that will make the discs again inviolate.
    >>


    > PS You did know that the copy protection system can re-program itself?



    So I have heard - but I'm still unclear about how this would work.

    I download a hi-def rip from alt.binaries.hdtv. It's on my hard-drive.
    With my spiffy new computer, I watch this movie. Somewhere a copy
    protection scheme reprograms itself. So what?

    puzzle pieces missing,
    - winf
     
    WinField, Mar 2, 2007
    #16
  17. Alpha Guest

    "WinField" <> wrote in message
    news:0p2Gh.4866$...
    >
    >
    > Alpha wrote:
    >
    > SNIP
    > (the dog from the film you say) said somewhere:
    >
    >>>>exactly the same size as the original - why do you find it so hard to
    >>>>believe that such things are out when the fact that the protection has
    >>>>been cracked is so well known ?
    >>>>just look in alt.binaries.hdtv if you don't believe - babel was posted
    >>>>yesterday - about 24-28 gigs from memory.

    >
    >
    >
    >>>This is true. However, new encryption codes are being inserted into the
    >>>new discs that are coming out that will make the discs again inviolate.
    >>>

    >
    >> PS You did know that the copy protection system can re-program itself?

    >
    >
    > So I have heard - but I'm still unclear about how this would work.
    >
    > I download a hi-def rip from alt.binaries.hdtv. It's on my hard-drive.
    > With my spiffy new computer, I watch this movie. Somewhere a copy
    > protection scheme reprograms itself. So what?
    >
    > puzzle pieces missing,
    > - winf


    Then new discs cannot be ripped and the cycle starts over.
     
    Alpha, Mar 2, 2007
    #17
  18. Alpha Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    news:esacvf$2r5$...
    >
    > "WinField" <> wrote in message
    > news:0p2Gh.4866$...
    >>
    >>
    >> Alpha wrote:
    >>
    >> SNIP
    >> (the dog from the film you say) said somewhere:
    >>
    >>>>>exactly the same size as the original - why do you find it so hard to
    >>>>>believe that such things are out when the fact that the protection has
    >>>>>been cracked is so well known ?
    >>>>>just look in alt.binaries.hdtv if you don't believe - babel was posted
    >>>>>yesterday - about 24-28 gigs from memory.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>>>This is true. However, new encryption codes are being inserted into the
    >>>>new discs that are coming out that will make the discs again inviolate.
    >>>>

    >>
    >>> PS You did know that the copy protection system can re-program itself?

    >>
    >>
    >> So I have heard - but I'm still unclear about how this would work.
    >>
    >> I download a hi-def rip from alt.binaries.hdtv. It's on my hard-drive.
    >> With my spiffy new computer, I watch this movie. Somewhere a copy
    >> protection scheme reprograms itself. So what?
    >>
    >> puzzle pieces missing,
    >> - winf

    >
    > Then new discs cannot be ripped and the cycle starts over.
    >
    >


    PS I am totally against pirated movies and think the binaries should be
    wiped out.
     
    Alpha, Mar 2, 2007
    #18
  19. In message news:, MassiveProng
    sprach forth the following:

    > On 02 Mar 2007 18:41:57 GMT, "Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute"
    ><> Gave us:
    >
    >>In message news:, MassiveProng
    >>sprach forth the following:
    >>
    >>> No, top posting twit... you do not.
    >>>
    >>> A downconverted rip of HD is NOT HD.

    >>
    >>The rips AREN'T "downconverted", dickwash.

    >
    >
    > Wanna bet? If the ISO image isn't 20 plus GigaBytes in size, it IS
    > downconverted, dumbshit. Try again.


    Why don't you fucking LOOK AT THEM, FUCKWIT. They FUCKING ARE 20GB. God
    some people just need to be beaten to death.
     
    Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute, Mar 3, 2007
    #19
  20. MassiveProng Guest

    On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 22:40:57 -0000, "the dog from that film you saw"
    <> Gave us:

    >
    >"MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 19:24:17 -0000, "the dog from that film you saw"
    >> <> Gave us:
    >>
    >>>you're mad too - intact rips of blu ray and hd dvds are out - no
    >>>downconversion performed.

    >>
    >>
    >> How big is the image file size?

    >
    >
    >exactly the same size as the original - why do you find it so hard to
    >believe that such things are out when the fact that the protection has been
    >cracked is so well known ?


    Bullshit. Cite? Or are you talking about the windows error?

    The protection scheme has yet to be hacked. Windows got hacked, and
    the scheme gets bypassed. That is very different than actually having
    defeated it.

    >just look in alt.binaries.hdtv if you don't believe - babel was posted
    >yesterday - about 24-28 gigs from memory.


    And the file plays on what?
     
    MassiveProng, Mar 4, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ultraviolet353

    really really mysterious IE6 problem--secure site

    ultraviolet353, Nov 20, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,223
    Boomer
    Nov 22, 2003
  2. Annika1980

    MR. ED REALLY, REALLY LOVES THE D60 !!!

    Annika1980, Oct 27, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    464
    George Kerby
    Oct 28, 2003
  3. Giovanni Azua

    do we really-really need Photoshop Elements?

    Giovanni Azua, May 17, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,421
    Oliver Costich
    May 18, 2005
  4. Simon Harding
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    2,049
    Mike Easter
    Jan 3, 2006
  5. Really, Really Bummer HD Problems

    , Jan 29, 2008, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    992
    sandy58
    Jan 29, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page