    processor speed? If so what is the largest hard drive I should get?

    TIA
    --deet
    deet, Aug 1, 2003

  2. deet

    Mara Guest

    deet wrote:
    > I have 2 hard drives and would like to replace the 7.5 gigabytes
    > harddrive with a larger one. My other hard drive is 15 gigs. I have
    > a 1000 megahertz Intel Celeron Processor; 32 kilobyte primary
    > memory cache; and 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache. My OS is
    > windows 98 SE. Is the correct size of a hard drive dependent on
    > processor speed? If so what is the largest hard drive I should get?

    15GB max.
    Mara, Aug 1, 2003

  3. deet

    Kraftee Guest

    > I have 2 hard drives and would like to replace the 7.5 gigabytes
    > harddrive with a larger one. My other hard drive is 15 gigs. I

    have
    > a 1000 megahertz Intel Celeron Processor; 32 kilobyte primary
    > memory cache; and 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache. My OS is
    > windows 98 SE. Is the correct size of a hard drive dependent on
    > processor speed? If so what is the largest hard drive I should get?

    The largest size will be the largest that your motherboard will
    recognise, & even then they are ways to fool it inot accepting larger
    sizes...

    --
    B-)
    Life is pain.....
    Kraftee, Aug 1, 2003
  4. deet Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <3f2b3e73.12086301@localhost>:

    > I have 2 hard drives and would like to replace the 7.5 gigabytes
    > harddrive with a larger one. My other hard drive is 15 gigs. I
    > have
    > a 1000 megahertz Intel Celeron Processor; 32 kilobyte primary
    > memory cache; and 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache. My OS is
    > windows 98 SE. Is the correct size of a hard drive dependent on
    > processor speed? If so what is the largest hard drive I should get?
    >
    > TIA
    > --deet

    Deet, it's more BIOS dependent than it is processor dependent.

    In English it's the BIOS that determines how large a HD you can
    have, not the processor/processor speed. An ancient P75 could access
    a 40GB harddisk if the bios is able to handle a 40gb drive...

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck, Aug 1, 2003
  5. deet

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:05:36 GMT, deet wrote:

    >I have 2 hard drives and would like to replace the 7.5 gigabytes
    >harddrive with a larger one. My other hard drive is 15 gigs. I have
    >a 1000 megahertz Intel Celeron Processor; 32 kilobyte primary
    >memory cache; and 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache. My OS is
    >windows 98 SE. Is the correct size of a hard drive dependent on
    >processor speed? If so what is the largest hard drive I should get?

    No relationship at all. As mentioned by others, the BIOS may have a
    limit, but there are ways around that.
    I am using a 60 gig HD with my 500 Mhz K6 system. My BIOS can't see
    beyond 32 gigs but I am using an overlay to get around that. If you are
    adventurous you could upgrade the BIOS, but with a 1 GHz system you
    probably won't need to.

    >TIA
    >--deet

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640
    Barry OGrady, Aug 2, 2003
  6. deet

    deet Guest

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 15:10:27 +1000, Barry OGrady
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:05:36 GMT, deet wrote:
    >snip

    >> Is the correct size of a hard drive dependent on
    >>processor speed? If so what is the largest hard drive I should get?

    >No relationship at all. As mentioned by others, the BIOS may have a
    >limit, but there are ways around that.
    >I am using a 60 gig HD with my 500 Mhz K6 system. My BIOS can't see
    >beyond 32 gigs but I am using an overlay to get around that. If you are
    >adventurous you could upgrade the BIOS, but with a 1 GHz system you
    >probably won't need to.
    >
    >>TIA
    >>--deet

    >-Barry
    >========
    >Web page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~barry.og
    >Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.
    >Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

    Hi Barry and all others who took the time to answer my question_:

    I am not adventurous or technically knowledgable. How can I find out
    what size hard drive my BIOS recognizes. Can I get to the BIOS by
    using the "run" command in the windows start menu?

    TIA
    --deet
    deet, Aug 2, 2003
  7. deet

    Patrick Guest

    Patrick wrote:
    > deet wrote:
    >> On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 15:10:27 +1000, Barry OGrady
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:05:36 GMT, deet wrote:
    >>> snip

    >>> No relationship at all. As mentioned by others, the BIOS may have a
    >>> limit, but there are ways around that.
    >>> I am using a 60 gig HD with my 500 Mhz K6 system. My BIOS can't see
    >>> beyond 32 gigs but I am using an overlay to get around that. If you
    >>> are adventurous you could upgrade the BIOS, but with a 1 GHz system
    >>> you probably won't need to.

    >>> -Barry
    >>> ========
    >>> Web page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~barry.og
    >>> Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.
    >>> Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

    >> Hi Barry and all others who took the time to answer my question_:
    >>
    >> I am not adventurous or technically knowledgable. How can I find
    >> out what size hard drive my BIOS recognizes. Can I get to the BIOS
    >> by
    >> using the "run" command in the windows start menu?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> --deet

    > Well no one else seems to be answering you, so I'll afford what help
    > I can..
    >
    > You cannot get to the BIOS from Windows.
    > The BIOS is accessed by pressing a certain key (often as not DEL)
    > while the machine is booting.
    >
    > I must point out at this stage, that it can be potentially dangerous
    > to make any changes to the BIOS if/when you don't know what your
    > doing. This I say for it's own sake and that I might get raired-up at
    > if didn't say it.
    >
    > Anyways, lets hope someone more lucid or/and knowledgable will get to
    > here. Best wishes Patrick

    Hello again 'deet',
    Might you perhaps be able to tell me what make the 'motherboard' is, or/and
    the make of the Computer.
    I am only experienced with one particular type of BIOS used by different
    manufacturers so can't say what help I could give.
    Do you not have a manual for the Computer or/and Motherboard, if you have it
    might well give directions on how to access and set the BIOS.
    If you could tell me the make of the motherboard or the Computer (model
    etc), do post back.
    Patrick, Aug 2, 2003
  8. deet

    deet Guest

    On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 23:58:45 +0100, "Patrick" <>
    wrote:

    >Patrick wrote:
    >> deet wrote:

    >>> Hi Barry and all others who took the time to answer my question_:
    >>>
    >>> I am not adventurous or technically knowledgable. How can I find
    >>> out what size hard drive my BIOS recognizes. Can I get to the BIOS
    >>> by
    >>> using the "run" command in the windows start menu?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> --deet

    >> Well no one else seems to be answering you, so I'll afford what help
    >> I can..
    >>
    >> You cannot get to the BIOS from Windows.
    >> The BIOS is accessed by pressing a certain key (often as not DEL)
    >> while the machine is booting.
    >>
    >> I must point out at this stage, that it can be potentially dangerous
    >> to make any changes to the BIOS if/when you don't know what your
    >> doing. This I say for it's own sake and that I might get raired-up at
    >> if didn't say it.
    >>
    >> Anyways, lets hope someone more lucid or/and knowledgable will get to
    >> here. Best wishes Patrick

    >Hello again 'deet',
    >Might you perhaps be able to tell me what make the 'motherboard' is, or/and
    >the make of the Computer.
    >I am only experienced with one particular type of BIOS used by different
    >manufacturers so can't say what help I could give.
    >Do you not have a manual for the Computer or/and Motherboard, if you have it
    >might well give directions on how to access and set the BIOS.
    >If you could tell me the make of the motherboard or the Computer (model
    >etc), do post back.

    Hi Patrick-

    I don't have a "make" for my computer--it was built from scratch at a
    local computer store.
    The Mother Board and Bios and installed memory info is from the
    profile of my computer made using Belarc Advisor software
    :
    Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd 6VTXE 1.x
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 6.27.10 08/22/2001
    128 Megabytes Installed Memory
    I hope this is the info you requested.

    I don't have the guts to change the BIOS --just want to see what it
    says. All I want to do is get the biggest hard drive that my machine
    can handle.

    Thanks for replying to my query.

    --deet
    deet, Aug 3, 2003
  9. deet

    Patrick Guest

    >>> Well no one else seems to be answering you, so I'll afford what help
    >>> I can..
    >>>
    >>> You cannot get to the BIOS from Windows.
    >>> The BIOS is accessed by pressing a certain key (often as not DEL)
    >>> while the machine is booting.
    >>>
    >>> I must point out at this stage, that it can be potentially dangerous
    >>> to make any changes to the BIOS if/when you don't know what your
    >>> doing. This I say for it's own sake and that I might get raired-up
    >>> at
    >>> if didn't say it.
    >>>
    >>> Anyways, lets hope someone more lucid or/and knowledgable will get
    >>> to here. Best wishes Patrick

    >> Hello again 'deet',
    >> Might you perhaps be able to tell me what make the 'motherboard' is,
    >> or/and the make of the Computer.
    >> I am only experienced with one particular type of BIOS used by
    >> different manufacturers so can't say what help I could give.
    >> Do you not have a manual for the Computer or/and Motherboard, if you
    >> have it might well give directions on how to access and set the BIOS.
    >> If you could tell me the make of the motherboard or the Computer
    >> (model etc), do post back.
    >>

    > Hi Patrick-
    >
    > I don't have a "make" for my computer--it was built from scratch at a
    > local computer store.
    > The Mother Board and Bios and installed memory info is from the
    > profile of my computer made using Belarc Advisor software
    >>

    > Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd 6VTXE 1.x
    > Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    > BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 6.27.10 08/22/2001
    > 128 Megabytes Installed Memory
    > I hope this is the info you requested.
    >
    > I don't have the guts to change the BIOS --just want to see what it
    > says. All I want to do is get the biggest hard drive that my machine
    > can handle.
    >
    > Thanks for replying to my query.
    >
    > --deet

    Well, it's possible that you could simply plug in the new drive and it would
    autodetect but I don't think that this is the case (so why do I suggest it).

    I have downloaded the manual for your MB (best match) to my machine and will
    have a look at it.

    The first link below is to as I say, the best-match I can find for your MB,
    to the right thiere is a list of options (BIOS, Manual etc), have a look.

    The second link is to 'Manuals' where you could download said manual (it's a
    PDF file, so would need 'Adobe Acrobat Reader' which can be d/loaded thiere
    if you haven't got it).

    Awfully sorry I can't give you concise instructions on matters, though the
    required procedures are of course quite simple (when you've allready done
    it).

    PS As others have mentioned, a 1GB processor board would more than likely
    have a BIOS that would support a larger drive (mine is a 1GB AMD with a 60GB
    HDD).

    http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-6VTXE.htm

    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Manual/Manual_GA-6VTXE.htm
    Patrick, Aug 3, 2003
  10. deet

    Patrick Guest

    >> Hi Patrick-
    >>
    >> I don't have a "make" for my computer--it was built from scratch at a
    >> local computer store.
    >> The Mother Board and Bios and installed memory info is from the
    >> profile of my computer made using Belarc Advisor software
    >>>

    >> Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd 6VTXE 1.x
    >> Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    >> BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 6.27.10 08/22/2001
    >> 128 Megabytes Installed Memory
    >> I hope this is the info you requested.
    >>
    >> I don't have the guts to change the BIOS --just want to see what it
    >> says. All I want to do is get the biggest hard drive that my machine
    >> can handle.
    >>
    >> Thanks for replying to my query.
    >>
    >> --deet

    > Well, it's possible that you could simply plug in the new drive and
    > it would autodetect but I don't think that this is the case (so why
    > do I suggest it).
    >
    > I have downloaded the manual for your MB (best match) to my machine
    > and will have a look at it.
    >
    > The first link below is to as I say, the best-match I can find for
    > your MB, to the right thiere is a list of options (BIOS, Manual etc),
    > have a look.
    >
    > The second link is to 'Manuals' where you could download said manual
    > (it's a PDF file, so would need 'Adobe Acrobat Reader' which can be
    > d/loaded thiere if you haven't got it).
    >
    > Awfully sorry I can't give you concise instructions on matters,
    > though the required procedures are of course quite simple (when
    > you've allready done it).
    >
    > PS As others have mentioned, a 1GB processor board would more than
    > likely have a BIOS that would support a larger drive (mine is a 1GB
    > AMD with a 60GB HDD).
    >
    > http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-6VTXE.htm
    >
    > http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Manual/Manual_GA-6VTXE.htm

    If you have downloaded the manual from the link/s given and have the Manual
    open in AR (Acrobat-Reader) then;
    Goto page titled 'BIOS Setup' on Page 51 (57 on AccrobatReader counter).
    This give the instruction on how to get into the BIOS
    Study this page carefully so that you know the key-controls etc. (perhaps
    print it out).
    Though on each page of the BIOS thiere will be instructions on what keys, do
    what.

    The next page shows what you should first see when you have got into the
    BIOS
    Study this page and I believe you'll see the next page that you need to
    follow-up (IDE HDD AUTO DETECTION)

    Hint; if you ever get lost in the BIOS, pressing 'ESC' will take you back
    one level until you reach this first screen where (if you want to) you can
    exit the BIOS (EXIT WITHOUT SAVING option).

    Anyways, I believe that you will find everything you want to in that manual
    (BIOS Setup).

    PS though the model didn't exactly match what you said (Belarc didn't
    mention the 'GA', it is most likely to be much the same BIOS type (check the
    pictures in the manual, etc match your MB).

    PPS I noticed by the version number (date) you gave indicates that your BIOS
    has never been updated (original) and that updates are available at first
    link, though don't do this until youve read and understood the matter. (I
    believe thiere is an option to update the BIOS from within WINDOWS on
    Gigabyte's), once again instructions are in the Manual.
    Patrick, Aug 3, 2003