    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
    Al Dykes, Jan 7, 2005

  2. Al Dykes

    Tony Raven Guest

    Al Dykes wrote:
    > Is Software Update in FF 1.0 supposed to work ? I tried it last night
    > and it said there was an update. I clicked on Install and then let the
    > spinner run for half an hour and then killed it.

    Yes but as far as I can see it only updates extensions (or maybe that's
    because it hasn't had a program update to handle so far)

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Jan 7, 2005

  3. Al Dykes

    carl Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Al Dykes wrote:
    >
    >> Is Software Update in FF 1.0 supposed to work ? I tried it last night
    >> and it said there was an update. I clicked on Install and then let the
    >> spinner run for half an hour and then killed it.
    >>

    > Yes but as far as I can see it only updates extensions (or maybe that's
    > because it hasn't had a program update to handle so far)
    >
    > Tony

    Isnt there a dispute or something going on at the moment? could be wrong
    but I think the author of the update program has broken the update
    action while things get sorted. You have to click on the "get updates"
    link at the bottom right to take you to an update page. Note this is
    from very vague memory I read ages ago so could be way off here! lol.

    Carl

    --
    [ATF]NoX
    Clan ATF
    carl, Jan 7, 2005
  4. Al Dykes

    Bakerboy Guest

    Al Dykes wrote:
    > Is Software Update in FF 1.0 supposed to work ? I tried it last night
    > and it said there was an update. I clicked on Install and then let the
    > spinner run for half an hour and then killed it.

    Do you have the 'Allow web sites to install software' option unchecked
    under Tools->Options->Web features?

    I found that if this isn't checked (and update.mozilla.org isn't in the
    allowed sites list), the update wouldn't work for me.

    Your mileage might vary......

    --
    Remove the Xs to reply
    Bakerboy, Jan 7, 2005
  5. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    Re: Is FF Options/Advanced/SoftwareUpdate supposed to work ? PLEASE FIX THIS

    In article <5PDDd.39584$nN6.27276@edtnps84>,
    Bakerboy <> wrote:
    >Al Dykes wrote:
    >> Is Software Update in FF 1.0 supposed to work ? I tried it last night
    >> and it said there was an update. I clicked on Install and then let the
    >> spinner run for half an hour and then killed it.
    >>

    >Do you have the 'Allow web sites to install software' option unchecked
    >under Tools->Options->Web features?
    >
    >I found that if this isn't checked (and update.mozilla.org isn't in the
    >allowed sites list), the update wouldn't work for me.
    >
    >Your mileage might vary......
    >

    >--
    >Remove the Xs to reply

    Bingo! That did it. I think someone needs to make some changes
    so people like me don't fall into this gottcha.

    At the very least put some text on the panel called

    FoxFile Updates
    Checking for updates

    that tells me that the box on tools/OPtions needs to be checked.

    OTOH;

    When I do a "check for updates" and want to install one
    I should be warned, but I'mm effectivly giving a one-time
    approval to install software.

    Thanks

    Al Dykes, Jan 7, 2005