    Thanks
    --
    Dave
    BD2, Jul 18, 2009

  2. BD2

    BD2 Guest

    I've also received this message when I've tried to post to other groups
    on E-S:-

    Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'Is e-s moderated
    in some way?', Account: 'Was - news.motzarella.org', Server:
    'news.eternal-september.org', Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441
    Postings to "eternal-september.where.are.all.the.newsgroups" are not
    allowed here', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error
    Number: 0x800CCCA9

    Just wondering why. Any ideas, anyone?

    Thanks
    --
    Dave

    BD2, Jul 18, 2009

  3. BD2

    Ray Banana Guest

    * BD2 wrote:

    > Postings to "eternal-september.where.are.all.the.newsgroups" are not
    > allowed here
    > Just wondering why. Any ideas, anyone?

    Because postings to eternal-september.where.are.all.the.newsgroups are
    not allowed? Duh!

    --
    Too many ingredients in the soup, no room for a spoon
    http://www.eternal-september.org
    Ray Banana, Jul 18, 2009
  4. BD2

    floffy Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 14:44:44 -0700, richard <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 08:04:28 +0100, "BD2" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I've recently joined in with folk on this group called
    >>'24hoursupport.helpdesk'
    >>
    >>I've noticed that eternal-september has less messages than the same
    >>group when viewed using news.aioe.org to read messages
    >>
    >>Please will you explain why that may be.
    >>
    >>Thanks

    >Differences in the newsfeed source and retention.

    Apart could be the filtering
    floffy, Jul 18, 2009
  5. BD2

    BD2 Guest

    That seems reasonable.

    Is it something that E-S can/should correct?

    Thanks for posting, Richard.

    --
    Dave

    BD2, Jul 18, 2009
  6. BD2

    Mike Easter Guest

    BD2 wrote:
    > I've also received this message

    Please do not reply post untrimmed without context.

    Here's a recommended format:

    http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml Q2: How should I use the
    quoted text and arrange it with my own text?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 18, 2009
  7. BD2

    chuckcar Guest

    "BD2" <> wrote in news:h3ti1k$pji$:

    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 08:04:28 +0100, "BD2" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've recently joined in with folk on this group called
    >>>'24hoursupport.helpdesk'
    >>>
    >>>I've noticed that eternal-september has less messages than the same
    >>>group when viewed using news.aioe.org to read messages
    >>>
    >>>Please will you explain why that may be.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    >> Differences in the newsfeed source and retention.

    > That seems reasonable.
    >
    > Is it something that E-S can/should correct?

    You can use a newsreader and/or server at your end which retains both the
    headers and articles you already have on your computer for the groups you
    use.

    the 441 error you got has a text message sent with it. Whether OE didn't
    give you that message or you thought to exclude it, it *was* the most
    relevant part. It relates to you not abiding to the terms of that server,
    By things such as crossposting to too many groups, not using the
    followup-to header, or perhaps other reasons due to the content of the
    message. Take a look at the message along with it's terms of use.

    http://www.eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=terms

    Top-posting to usenet will garner you no friends. It's considered either
    rude or ignorant practice.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 19, 2009
  8. BD2

    G. Morgan Guest

    BD2 wrote:

    >I've noticed that eternal-september has less messages than the same
    >group when viewed using news.aioe.org to read messages

    Are you that interested in reading posts from years ago? If you reply to a
    "dead thread", from say 10 months ago, you'll look foolish.

    What is more important than retention is completeness. Some servers are
    notorious for missing posts, or delaying them for days.

    I use a different strategy. I have about 4 free servers all set up and
    configured in Forte Agent. I can use the others as 'backup' when my preferred
    goes down. Also, if I set all the accounts to 'active' it will scan all
    servers for missed articles on the previous scan.
    G. Morgan, Jul 19, 2009
  9. BD2

    Ray Banana Guest

    * G Morgan wrote:
    > BD2 wrote:
    >>I've noticed that eternal-september has less messages than the same
    >>group when viewed using news.aioe.org to read messages

    > Are you that interested in reading posts from years ago? If you reply to a
    > "dead thread", from say 10 months ago, you'll look foolish.
    > What is more important than retention is completeness. Some servers are
    > notorious for missing posts, or delaying them for days.

    Just a few remarks about the postings in this thread, although I'm afraid
    they will fall on deaf ears:

    Eternal-September.org has about 18.000 articles for this group as opposed
    to ~1.800 on aioe, so the above statement is demonstrably wrong.

    The article BD2 reported as missing from Eternal-September.org was actually
    *posted* via Eternal-September.org and fed to aioe, so there's no way it
    could be missing on Eternal-September.org.

    Eternal-September.org does not rely on a single feed, but receives articles
    from and propagates articles to more than 50 peers all over the world, so
    completeness is not an issue.

    Eternal-September.org does, however, filter spam and honours NoCeM messages
    from trustworthy sources.

    Ray Banana, Jul 19, 2009
  10. BD2

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 09:43:45 +0000 (UTC), Ray Banana
    <> wrote:

    >* G Morgan wrote:
    >> BD2 wrote:
    >>>I've noticed that eternal-september has less messages than the same
    >>>group when viewed using news.aioe.org to read messages

    >> Are you that interested in reading posts from years ago? If you reply to a
    >> "dead thread", from say 10 months ago, you'll look foolish.
    >> What is more important than retention is completeness. Some servers are
    >> notorious for missing posts, or delaying them for days.

    >Just a few remarks about the postings in this thread, although I'm afraid
    >they will fall on deaf ears:
    >
    >Eternal-September.org has about 18.000 articles for this group as opposed
    >to ~1.800 on aioe, so the above statement is demonstrably wrong.

    Surely Eternal-September has more than 18 messages?
    Did you mean 18,000?

    Barry OGrady, Jul 20, 2009
  11. BD2

    BD2 Guest

    Hangs head in shame! Sorry!

    --
    Dave

    BD2, Jul 22, 2009
  12. BD2

    ~BD~ Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message

    > Please do not reply post untrimmed without context.
    >
    > Here's a recommended format:
    >
    > http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml Q2: How should I use the
    > quoted text and arrange it with my own text?
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Thank you, Mike.

    --