Is DVD going to become obsolete because of HDTV ?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by jeffd1975@gmail.com, Mar 12, 2007.

  1. Guest

    As noted in another thread, I've been copying my VHS types to DVD.
    I've also been contemplating buying an HDTV LCD widescreen TV (I have
    3 CRT TVs in my house, all SD). For the fun of it, I brought a few
    DVDs to work, where we have an 80 inch widescreen HDTV LCD television.

    Man, SD videos on HDTV look like crap, especially the ones where I
    copied from VHS to DVD.

    Now, the DVD player that I used on the HDTV at work was an XBox 360,
    so maybe it had terrible upscaling from DVD SD to HDTV, but still...

    I know that as long as there are players that can support the 5" disc
    medium (CD, DVD, HDVD), that DVDs will never become 100% obsolete. My
    concern is that I will be forced to re-buy all of my DVD collection so
    that I can get a decent picture quality on HDTV TVs. I think this
    HDTV thing is a scam.

    I think I'll hold on to my CRT SD TVs for as long as I can. When I do
    eventually get an LCD HDTV, it will be something reasonable like 30 or
    40 inch, so that the upscaling to a higher resolution from my DVDs
    will not distort the image too badly (I've been to a friend's house
    who has a 45" LCD, and normal DVDs still look pretty good).

    , Mar 12, 2007

  2. Mark Jones Guest

    wrote:
    > As noted in another thread, I've been copying my VHS types to DVD.
    > I've also been contemplating buying an HDTV LCD widescreen TV (I have
    > 3 CRT TVs in my house, all SD). For the fun of it, I brought a few
    > DVDs to work, where we have an 80 inch widescreen HDTV LCD television.
    >
    > Man, SD videos on HDTV look like crap, especially the ones where I
    > copied from VHS to DVD.
    >
    > Now, the DVD player that I used on the HDTV at work was an XBox 360,
    > so maybe it had terrible upscaling from DVD SD to HDTV, but still...

    DVDs look great on my 65 inch rear projection HDTV and also
    on my 32 inch LCD HDTV. Get a good DVD player and it won't
    be a problem.

    Mark Jones, Mar 12, 2007

  3. Karl S Guest

    On 12 Mar 2007 04:04:39 -0700, wrote:

    > especially the ones where I
    > copied from VHS to DVD.

    Because, in effect, you are watching a VHS recording which probably looked
    bad on an SD TV twenty years ago.

    Normal DVDs look terrific on my 92 inch projection TV.

    Karl S, Mar 12, 2007
  4. MassiveProng Guest

    On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:54:10 -0700, Karl S <> Gave us:

    >On 12 Mar 2007 04:04:39 -0700, wrote:
    >

    >> especially the ones where I
    >> copied from VHS to DVD.

    >Because, in effect, you are watching a VHS recording which probably looked
    >bad on an SD TV twenty years ago.
    >
    >Normal DVDs look terrific on my 92 inch projection TV.

    Try it without an upconverting player.

    MassiveProng, Mar 13, 2007
  5. Karl S Guest

    On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:49:28 -0700, MassiveProng wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:54:10 -0700, Karl S <> Gave us:
    >
    >>On 12 Mar 2007 04:04:39 -0700, wrote:
    >>

    >>> especially the ones where I
    >>> copied from VHS to DVD.

    >>Because, in effect, you are watching a VHS recording which probably looked
    >>bad on an SD TV twenty years ago.
    >>
    >>Normal DVDs look terrific on my 92 inch projection TV.

    > Try it without an upconverting player.

    They still look terrific. The projector does the upconverting.

    Karl S, Mar 13, 2007
  6. AZ Nomad Guest

    On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 07:16:23 -0700, Karl S <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:49:28 -0700, MassiveProng wrote:

    >>>Because, in effect, you are watching a VHS recording which probably looked
    >>>bad on an SD TV twenty years ago.
    >>>
    >>>Normal DVDs look terrific on my 92 inch projection TV.

    >> Try it without an upconverting player.

    >They still look terrific. The projector does the upconverting.

    As does any tv that isn't defective. The only thing missing from having the
    tv upconvert as opposed to a separate box is that special feeling of pride
    that comes from spending too much.

    AZ Nomad, Mar 13, 2007
  7. In message news:,
    AZ Nomad sprach forth the following:

    > The only thing missing from having the
    > tv upconvert as opposed to a separate box is that special feeling of
    > pride that comes from spending too much.

    Do you believe that all upconverters are of equal quality? If so you're
    quite ignorant.

    Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute, Mar 13, 2007
  8. AZ Nomad Guest

    On 13 Mar 2007 19:29:34 GMT, Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute <> wrote:

    >In message news:,
    >AZ Nomad sprach forth the following:

    >> The only thing missing from having the
    >> tv upconvert as opposed to a separate box is that special feeling of
    >> pride that comes from spending too much.

    >Do you believe that all upconverters are of equal quality? If so you're
    >quite ignorant.

    You're an ignoramus if you believe the marketing hype associated with
    separates.

    AZ Nomad, Mar 13, 2007
  9. In message news:, AZ
    Nomad sprach forth the following:

    > You're an ignoramus if you believe the marketing hype associated with
    > separates.

    What do you mean by "separates"? Do you own a TV/DVD combo? Lemme guess -
    $69 from Walgreen's on Black Friday.

    I'm talking about a quality upconverting player like the Oppo.

    But in all circumstances, you should try every combination (component,
    HDMI/DVI with player doing the UC, HDMI/DVI with TV doing the UC) until you
    find the best picture as you see it.

    Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute, Mar 13, 2007
  10. MassiveProng Guest

    On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:02:23 GMT, AZ Nomad
    <> Gave us:

    >On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 07:16:23 -0700, Karl S <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:49:28 -0700, MassiveProng wrote:

    >>> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:54:10 -0700, Karl S <> Gave us:

    >>> Try it without an upconverting player.

    >>They still look terrific. The projector does the upconverting.

    >As does any tv that isn't defective. The only thing missing from having the
    >tv upconvert as opposed to a separate box is that special feeling of pride
    >that comes from spending too much.

    Early TVs were very poor at it. Sluggish, and fast action scenes
    showed many artifacts.

    I still think DLP has issues with fast moving scenery, and I won't
    buy into that realm until it improves drastically.

    MassiveProng, Mar 14, 2007
  11. AZ Nomad Guest

    On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:12:59 -0700, MassiveProng <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:02:23 GMT, AZ Nomad
    ><> Gave us:

    >>>They still look terrific. The projector does the upconverting.

    >>As does any tv that isn't defective. The only thing missing from having the
    >>tv upconvert as opposed to a separate box is that special feeling of pride
    >>that comes from spending too much.

    > Early TVs were very poor at it. Sluggish, and fast action scenes
    >showed many artifacts.

    Perhaps. Do any current tvs have any problem?

    AZ Nomad, Mar 14, 2007
  12. Alpha Guest

    "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    > On 13 Mar 2007 19:29:34 GMT, Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>In message news:,
    >>AZ Nomad sprach forth the following:

    >>> The only thing missing from having the
    >>> tv upconvert as opposed to a separate box is that special feeling of
    >>> pride that comes from spending too much.

    >>Do you believe that all upconverters are of equal quality? If so you're
    >>quite ignorant.

    > You're an ignoramus if you believe the marketing hype associated with
    > separates.

    No, that ignoramus tag is reserved for you. I have an OPPO and the
    upconversion is very noticeably better than my Panasonic HD Plasma.

    Alpha, Mar 14, 2007
  13. Guest

    On Mar 12, 7:04 am, wrote:
    > My
    > concern is that I will be forced to re-buy all of my DVD collection so
    > that I can get a decent picture quality on HDTV TVs.

    I'm sorry, is someone forcing you to buy an HDTV? Because, if they
    are, you should have them arrested.

    > I think this
    > HDTV thing is a scam.

    There is no scam about it. I an HDTV and both the HD cable content and
    HD-DVD discs look stunning (Blu-ray discs probably do too). HDTV's are
    designed to play HD content. SD content looks rougher on most of them
    because that is just not what they were designed to play.

    > the upscaling to a higher resolution from my DVDs
    > will not distort the image too badly (I've been to a friend's house
    > who has a 45" LCD, and normal DVDs still look pretty good).

    Upscaling cannot put resolution in that doesn't exist in the source
    material. You take a VHS tape resolution, blow it up on a 50" screen,
    and it's going to look like shit. No upscaler can fix that.

    -Eric

    , Mar 14, 2007
  14. MassiveProng Guest

    On 14 Mar 2007 08:40:19 -0700, Gave us:

    >On Mar 12, 7:04 am, wrote:
    >> My
    >> concern is that I will be forced to re-buy all of my DVD collection so
    >> that I can get a decent picture quality on HDTV TVs.

    >I'm sorry, is someone forcing you to buy an HDTV? Because, if they
    >are, you should have them arrested.
    >
    >> I think this
    >> HDTV thing is a scam.

    >There is no scam about it. I an HDTV and both the HD cable content and
    >HD-DVD discs look stunning (Blu-ray discs probably do too). HDTV's are
    >designed to play HD content. SD content looks rougher on most of them
    >because that is just not what they were designed to play.
    >
    >> the upscaling to a higher resolution from my DVDs
    >> will not distort the image too badly (I've been to a friend's house
    >> who has a 45" LCD, and normal DVDs still look pretty good).

    >Upscaling cannot put resolution in that doesn't exist in the source
    >material. You take a VHS tape resolution, blow it up on a 50" screen,
    >and it's going to look like shit. No upscaler can fix that.

    Or his brain. Some things just have no fix.

    MassiveProng, Mar 14, 2007
  15. Lamey Guest

    MassiveProng <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:54:10 -0700, Karl S <> Gave us:
    >
    >>On 12 Mar 2007 04:04:39 -0700, wrote:
    >>

    >>> especially the ones where I
    >>> copied from VHS to DVD.

    >>Because, in effect, you are watching a VHS recording which probably
    >>looked bad on an SD TV twenty years ago.
    >>
    >>Normal DVDs look terrific on my 92 inch projection TV.

    > Try it without an upconverting player.

    Careful little man, The law is coming.

    Lamey, Apr 12, 2007
  16. Lamey Guest

    MassiveProng <> wrote in

    > On 14 Mar 2007 08:40:19 -0700, Gave us:
    >
    >>On Mar 12, 7:04 am, wrote:
    >>> My
    >>> concern is that I will be forced to re-buy all of my DVD collection so
    >>> that I can get a decent picture quality on HDTV TVs.

    >>I'm sorry, is someone forcing you to buy an HDTV? Because, if they
    >>are, you should have them arrested.
    >>
    >>> I think this
    >>> HDTV thing is a scam.

    >>There is no scam about it. I an HDTV and both the HD cable content and
    >>HD-DVD discs look stunning (Blu-ray discs probably do too). HDTV's are
    >>designed to play HD content. SD content looks rougher on most of them
    >>because that is just not what they were designed to play.
    >>
    >>> the upscaling to a higher resolution from my DVDs
    >>> will not distort the image too badly (I've been to a friend's house
    >>> who has a 45" LCD, and normal DVDs still look pretty good).

    >>Upscaling cannot put resolution in that doesn't exist in the source
    >>material. You take a VHS tape resolution, blow it up on a 50" screen,
    >>and it's going to look like shit. No upscaler can fix that.
    >>

    > Or his brain. Some things just have no fix.

    More fun to be had.

    Lamey, Apr 12, 2007
  17. "Lamey" <> wrote in message

    > More fun to be had.

    First you buy the movie on CED, then Beta, then VHS, then laserdisc, then
    DVD, now Blue Ray or HD.

    Yeah, you're not being screwed, are you?

    Homer J Simpson, Apr 12, 2007
  18. MassiveProng Guest

    On 12 Apr 2007 00:41:34 GMT, Lamey <> Gave us:

    >MassiveProng <> wrote in

    >>>Because, in effect, you are watching a VHS recording which probably
    >>>looked bad on an SD TV twenty years ago.
    >>>
    >>>Normal DVDs look terrific on my 92 inch projection TV.

    >> Try it without an upconverting player.
    >>

    >Careful little man, The law is coming.

    You're an idiot.

    MassiveProng, Apr 12, 2007
  19. Brisclecone Guest

    MassiveProng <> wrote in

    > On 12 Apr 2007 00:41:34 GMT, Lamey <> Gave us:
    >
    >>MassiveProng <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:54:10 -0700, Karl S <> Gave us:

    >>> Try it without an upconverting player.
    >>>

    >>Careful little man, The law is coming.

    > You're an idiot.

    So it was all a false threat? I thought so. To much of a pussy to follow
    thru?

    Brisclecone, Apr 12, 2007
  20. Guest

    On Apr 11, 10:07 pm, "Homer J Simpson" <> wrote:
    > First you buy the movie on CED, then Beta, then VHS, then laserdisc, then
    > DVD, now Blue Ray or HD.
    >
    > Yeah, you're not being screwed, are you?

    You fancy city types with your new technology. The Edison Cylinder was
    good enough for my grandpappy, and it's good enough for me. Now get
    off of my lawn, you punk kids!!

    , Apr 12, 2007