Is Chinese really difficult to learn?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by yuancw74@gmail.com, Apr 25, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Is Chinese really difficult to learn?
    It is often said that it is hard to learn Chinese, How am I supposed
    to remember fifty to sixty thousand Chinese characters?
    Is Chinese that hard? Not really!
    In the ¡°the dictionary of Chinese characters¡± edited by LengYulong
    in 1994, there are over eighty five thousand characters. However, in
    the ¡°Encyclopedia Britannica¡±£¬there are over one million characters .
    In China, university students majored in science and engineering
    only command two thousand characters with which they are able to read
    books, newspapers or do the research.. but in the English-speaking
    countries, a normal high school student has a vocabulary range from
    three thousand to three point five thousand words. Those words are
    enough for them to meet the needs for communication in daily life.
    However, without those twenty thousand words, you cannot read books,
    nor can you read periodicals without thirty thousand words. People who
    have worked for ten years since graduation from university know about
    eighty thousand words.
    Different from English, the smallest unit of Chinese is a
    character. It itself has a certain meaning besides its ability to
    comprise words. That makes the comparative stability of the Chinese
    characters. All the new words are comprised of the original
    characters, therefore, people who understand Chinese can learn the
    meaning of those new words as soon as they see them.¡£On the contrary,
    English words are formed by the random arrangement of letters, thereby
    need efforts to be memorized.
    There are some examples about cars listed as follows. Chinese
    people will immediately know those words mean one kind of vehicle even
    though they are semiiliterate.Even those words are not often seen in
    our daily life, Chinese people still know their classifications and
    the basic functions.
    Cage Éý½µ³µ = Éý up + ½µ down + ³µ vehicle
    £¨a kind of vehicle which can go both up and down£©
    Barrow Á½ÂÖÊÖÍƳµ = Á½ two + ÂÖ wheel + ÊÖ hand + ÍÆ push + ³µ vehicle
    £¨vehicles with two wheels and pushed by hands£©
    Amtrac ˮ½Á½Óóµ = Ë® water + ½ land + Á½ two + Óà use + ³µ vehicle
    £¨vehicles which can be driven both on land and in the river.£©
    BuckboardËÄÂÖÂí³µ = ËÄ four + ÂÖ wheel + Âí horse + ³µ vehicle
    £¨a kind of vehicle with four wheels and pulled by horses£©
    As a result, we know that Chinese is not that difficult. For
    those foreigners learning Chinese, the most hardest is at the
    beginning stage where they remember and master zero to one thousand
    Chinese characters. However, when you have successfully passed this
    stage, you can almost improve your Chinese by studying on your own..
    The best way to learn Chinese is undoubtedly to come to China, but
    that means a dramatic change in your life and expensive fee. But if
    you want to learn Chinese in a local training class, it is very likely
    that the teachers there are not the professional teachers. Not to
    mention a great deal of time has to be wasted during the travel to the
    class. But now there is fascinating news: www.ShareWe.com now has
    supplied you with Chinese-learning online lessons which bring Chinese
    professional teachers to you, therefore, you can learn the most native
    Chinese with cheap fees at home. Isn¡¯t it amazing? Don¡¯t hesitate, go
    to register and sign up!
    On April.26th, ShareWe will provide you with the free trial of the
    online class in the website. We sincerely hope you can join us.
    Time for free trial (different time zone)
    2008-4-26 21:00 ~22£º00(GMT -5:00 hours) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
    2008-4-26 20:00 ~21£º00(GMT -6:00 hours) Central (US & Canada)
    2008-4-26 19:00 ~20£º00(GMT -7:00 hours) Mountain Time (US & Canada)
    2008-4-26 18:00 ~19£º00(GMT -8:00 hours) Pacific Time

    , Apr 25, 2008

  2. catchme Guest

    wrote:
    > Is Chinese really difficult to learn?
    > It is often said that it is hard to learn Chinese, How am I supposed
    > to remember fifty to sixty thousand Chinese characters?
    > Is Chinese that hard? Not really!
    > In the ¡°the dictionary of Chinese characters¡± edited by LengYulong
    > in 1994, there are over eighty five thousand characters. However, in
    > the ¡°Encyclopedia Britannica¡±£¬there are over one million characters .

    ni-ho-mah.

    just a thought, as a student of asian languages myself I tend to focus
    first on the oral language (i.e. japanese kaiwa), then on the written.
    i find it easiest to learn the kana before the kanji.
    i have learned SOME kanji however (sorry my IME not working correctly at
    present so I cannot display), such as Hana, Inochi, chikaku (flower,
    life, power) and have learned some oral chinese and even Korean on the
    way in my learning.
    i am lucky to have some chinese friends as well as my japanese wife, and
    many asian customers where i am employed.
    we all learn together, as i help them with their english so too are they
    eagar to part with some wisdom of their own cultures.

    shay-shay/ tol-shay....tai-chien.

    --
    To the States or any one of them, or any city of the States,
    Resist much, obey little,

    -Walt Whitman, 1860

    catchme, Apr 25, 2008

  3. wrote in

    > Is Chinese really difficult to learn?

    Not if you slap a $20 bill to your forehead
    and then hold your head oriented horizontally.

    --

    My name is Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and I approve this message!

    Confucius say : "Man who stand on street corner with
    hands in pockets not feeling crazy; feeling nuts."

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAQsxjPHDg0

    Bucky Breeder, Apr 25, 2008
  4. Fred Kasner Guest

    wrote:
> [...]
    > mention a great deal of time has to be wasted during the travel to the
    > class. But now there is fascinating news: www.ShareWe.com now has
    > supplied you with Chinese-learning online lessons which bring Chinese
    > professional teachers to you, therefore, you can learn the most native
    > Chinese with cheap fees at home. Isn¡¯t it amazing? Don¡¯t hesitate, go
    > to register and sign up!
    > On April.26th, ShareWe will provide you with the free trial of the
    > online class in the website. We sincerely hope you can join us.
    > Time for free trial (different time zone)
    > 2008-4-26 21:00 ~22£º00(GMT -5:00 hours) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
    > 2008-4-26 20:00 ~21£º00(GMT -6:00 hours) Central (US & Canada)
    > 2008-4-26 19:00 ~20£º00(GMT -7:00 hours) Mountain Time (US & Canada)
    > 2008-4-26 18:00 ~19£º00(GMT -8:00 hours) Pacific Time

    The big laugher in your screed is that English words are made of random
    combinations of letters. What a joke!

    If you were a literate person in the past you usually knew Latin,
    probably Greek, and possibly French as well as English. And English has
    elements of all those three languages. I know English, French, Spanish,
    and German. Generally the connections among those languages help this
    writer to understand a lot of words in those languages that are related
    to English words and make it possible for me to read (sometimes)
    adequately in the other languages. German is an interesting language
    that compiles words to create new words. Words in the Romance languages
    and even in English were frequently created out of Latin roots of words.

    Your jingoism is showing. All languages are hard to learn but not so if
    you learn them while the brain is young. A friend from high school was
    born in China of Polish parents and spoke several languages as well as
    Chinese (probably Mandarin) fluently according to people who spoke to
    him and who I knew were supposed to be fluent in many languages. If you
    are fluent in a Romance language you can acquire other Romance languages
    with relativel ease.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Apr 25, 2008
  5. catchme Guest

    Bucky Breeder wrote:
    > wrote in
    >
    >> Is Chinese really difficult to learn?

    > Not if you slap a $20 bill to your forehead
    > and then hold your head oriented horizontally.

    there is the ignorance of a child, like that of an empty cup eager for
    the fill- and then there is WILFUL ignorance....

    catchme, Apr 25, 2008
  6. catchme Guest

    Fred Kasner wrote:

    > The big laugher in your screed is that English words are made of random
    > combinations of letters. What a joke!
    >
    > If you were a literate person in the past you usually knew Latin,
    > probably Greek, and possibly French as well as English. And English has
    > elements of all those three languages. I know English, French, Spanish,
    > and German. Generally the connections among those languages help this
    > writer to understand a lot of words in those languages that are related
    > to English words and make it possible for me to read (sometimes)
    > adequately in the other languages. German is an interesting language
    > that compiles words to create new words. Words in the Romance languages
    > and even in English were frequently created out of Latin roots of words.
    >
    > Your jingoism is showing. All languages are hard to learn but not so if
    > you learn them while the brain is young. A friend from high school was
    > born in China of Polish parents and spoke several languages as well as
    > Chinese (probably Mandarin) fluently according to people who spoke to
    > him and who I knew were supposed to be fluent in many languages. If you
    > are fluent in a Romance language you can acquire other Romance languages
    > with relativel ease.
    > FK

    the hardest thing for an Asian to learn, is not the english vocabulary-
    it is the mastery of the grammar, which is precisely the opposite to
    english.
    when my wife could speak but little english, we had to use google to
    translate our sentences.
    "I cannot understand English" translates into "a language, it does not
    know well" (the first person is not referred to as "I" or "am", but "it,
    or she, or he").
    Hearing the different dissonance on a regular basis i am more than used
    to it, and see it as a poetic english.
    In their own language it is even more so.

    catchme, Apr 25, 2008
  7. catchme <> wrote in

    > Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >
    >> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Is Chinese really difficult to learn?

    >> Not if you slap a $20 bill to your forehead
    >> and then hold your head oriented horizontally.
    >>

    > there is the ignorance of a child, like that of
    > an empty cup eager for the fill- and then there
    > is WILFUL ignorance....

    Then there is the itchy-butt Canadian luzer-fag
    who whines like a little gurl and posts some
    ghay shit after s/he'd made her loud and public
    flutterbutt drama claiming "<PLONK>"... FOAD
    You can't trust a Canadian drama-queen what
    don't honor their own "<PLONK>" soliloquies.

    PS: Faggy Canuks should use dictionaries;
    it is properly spelt "WIFLUL igonracne".
    What a dumbasss... (prolly all that snow,
    and s/he don't know NOT to eat the yellow stuff)

    --

    My name is Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and I approve this message!

    Messages from Forrest Gump's Mamma Up in Heaven :

    #27 - "Stupid is as 'catchme' does." -- Forrest Gump's Mamma

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAQsxjPHDg0

    Bucky Breeder, Apr 26, 2008
  8. catchme <> wrote in

    > when my wife could speak but little english, we had
    > to use google to translate our sentences.
    > "I cannot understand English" translates into "a
    > language, it does not know well" (the first person
    > is not referred to as "I" or "am", but "it,
    > or she, or he").

    So, you got yerself one of those mail-order Chinese whores
    for a "bride" up there in moose-fucker land, prolly because
    you can't make a white woman happy... Don't worry, she'll
    leave you soon enough, after she learns enough to figure you.

    For the record, "I cannot understand English" translates into
    "I cannot understand English" when properly translated, you
    fucking ignorant faggot!

    #77 - "Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know
    what you're gonna get; except 'catchme', who got
    a Chinese whore from a catalog." -- Forrest Gump's Mamma

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAQsxjPHDg0

    Bucky Breeder, Apr 26, 2008
  9. Bucky Breeder <> wrote in

    > catchme <> wrote in
    >
    >> when my wife could speak but little english, we had
    >> to use google to translate our sentences.
    >> "I cannot understand English" translates into "a
    >> language, it does not know well" (the first person
    >> is not referred to as "I" or "am", but "it,
    >> or she, or he").

    > So, you got yerself one of those mail-order Chinese whores
    > for a "bride" up there in moose-fucker land, prolly because
    > you can't make a white woman happy... Don't worry, she'll
    > leave you soon enough, after she learns enough to figure you.
    >
    > For the record, "I cannot understand English" translates into
    > "I cannot understand English" when properly translated, you
    > fucking ignorant faggot!

    PUBLIC HEALTH WARNING : You COULD get lead-poisoning from
    applying cunnilingus to your mail-order Chinese bride.
    They are not necessarily FDA inspected, especially in
    other ****-trees. Is Canada even a cuntree? NO, it's
    an asylum for litte-dick assholes with big ideations.

    "I cannot understand English" translates into "Oh God, Oh God"
    when I sex your Chinese mail-order bride real proper and right.

    #77 - "Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know
    what you're gonna get; unless you order a Chinese whore
    from the catalouge." -- Forrest Gump's Mamma

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAQsxjPHDg0

    Bucky Breeder, Apr 26, 2008
  10. catchme Guest

    Bucky Breeder wrote:
    > catchme <> wrote in
    >
    >> when my wife could speak but little english, we had
    >> to use google to translate our sentences.
    >> "I cannot understand English" translates into "a
    >> language, it does not know well" (the first person
    >> is not referred to as "I" or "am", but "it,
    >> or she, or he").

    > So, you got yerself one of those mail-order Chinese whores
    > for a "bride" up there in moose-fucker land, prolly because
    > you can't make a white woman happy... Don't worry, she'll
    > leave you soon enough, after she learns enough to figure you.
    >
    > For the record, "I cannot understand English" translates into
    > "I cannot understand English" when properly translated, you
    > fucking ignorant faggot!

    are you always so irritable?
    i find a good strong cup of dark coffee helps....
    mebbe yew be o' Skottish leanings,...foshore ye ahr one quik ta provoke,
    i ken ye.
    but ah be willing ta settle wit ya fer a few pints and tall boasts
    rather than put up swords wit ya.

    catchme, Apr 26, 2008
  11. catchme <> wrote in

    > are you always so irritable?

    Nope.

    --

    I *am* Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and *I* approve this message!

    Whereas, I can *NOT* tell a lie : *it* *was* *I*
    who put the "Bomp" in the "Bomp Bah Bomp Bah Bomp"
    then put the "Ram" in the "Rama Lama Ding Dong"
    and remain unabashedly unapologetic and unrepentant!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85DUPbkDXT0

    Bucky Breeder, Apr 28, 2008