Is Canon Powershot A520 a decent camera? Alternatives-for 15 year old....

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pattyjamas@hotmail.com, Feb 27, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Read a few reviews here and there on Canon, Kodak, Sony, etc...

    This would be for a 15 year old. I would like a point and shoot camera
    that is fairly easy to use. Looks like the Canon Powershot A520 might
    fit the bill. While only 4MP and some red eye issues, it appears to be
    a good value for the money (and a beginner).

    *****Any thoughts on this camera and price range (up to$200 without
    recharger and memory card/case, etc..) versus perhaps another
    brand/model that would be as compact 4 or hopefully 5 megapixels, ease
    of use, rugged enough not to break easily, etc...??

    My neighbor has a Sony which I like but everyone has their opinion.

    ****Also their computer is running Windows ME so I am not sure it can
    support whatever software may come with certain cameras. Any knowledge
    appreciated on this.

    Thank you

    Patty

    , Feb 27, 2006

  2. Mark² Guest

    wrote:
    > Read a few reviews here and there on Canon, Kodak, Sony, etc...
    >
    > This would be for a 15 year old. I would like a point and shoot camera
    > that is fairly easy to use. Looks like the Canon Powershot A520 might
    > fit the bill. While only 4MP and some red eye issues, it appears to be
    > a good value for the money (and a beginner).
    >
    > *****Any thoughts on this camera and price range (up to$200 without
    > recharger and memory card/case, etc..) versus perhaps another
    > brand/model that would be as compact 4 or hopefully 5 megapixels, ease
    > of use, rugged enough not to break easily, etc...??
    >
    > My neighbor has a Sony which I like but everyone has their opinion.
    >

    > ****Also their computer is running Windows ME so I am not sure it can
    > support whatever software may come with certain cameras. Any knowledge
    > appreciated on this.
    >

    > Thank you
    >
    > Patty

    The 520 is a slam dunk in the value-for-money realm, and also in the
    not-risking-a-lot-of-money-to-a-young-teen realm.
    :)

    I have recommended that exact camera to no less than 3 families in your same
    boat that I personally know, and all have been pleased. Costco used to sell
    them for $169, which is a great deal for a very decent little camera.

    -Mark

    Mark², Feb 27, 2006

  3. SMS Guest

    Re: Is Canon Powershot A520 a decent camera? Alternatives-for 15year old....

    wrote:
    > Read a few reviews here and there on Canon, Kodak, Sony, etc...
    >
    > This would be for a 15 year old. I would like a point and shoot camera
    > that is fairly easy to use. Looks like the Canon Powershot A520 might
    > fit the bill. While only 4MP and some red eye issues, it appears to be
    > a good value for the money (and a beginner).
    >
    > *****Any thoughts on this camera and price range (up to$200 without
    > recharger and memory card/case, etc..) versus perhaps another
    > brand/model that would be as compact 4 or hopefully 5 megapixels, ease
    > of use, rugged enough not to break easily, etc...??

    There are no other models in the sub-$200 price range that are
    recommended. Canon has this segment all to themselves.

    SMS, Feb 27, 2006
  4. salgud Guest

    wrote:
    > Read a few reviews here and there on Canon, Kodak, Sony, etc...
    >
    > This would be for a 15 year old. I would like a point and shoot camera
    > that is fairly easy to use. Looks like the Canon Powershot A520 might
    > fit the bill. While only 4MP and some red eye issues, it appears to be
    > a good value for the money (and a beginner).
    >
    > *****Any thoughts on this camera and price range (up to$200 without
    > recharger and memory card/case, etc..) versus perhaps another
    > brand/model that would be as compact 4 or hopefully 5 megapixels, ease
    > of use, rugged enough not to break easily, etc...??
    >
    > My neighbor has a Sony which I like but everyone has their opinion.
    >

    > ****Also their computer is running Windows ME so I am not sure it can
    > support whatever software may come with certain cameras. Any knowledge
    > appreciated on this.
    >

    > Thank you
    >
    > Patty

    I bought an A520 last Oct because I was going to Costa Rica this month
    and wanted a verstatile, compact digital camera with lots of manual
    options that yields good quality pix. I couldn't be much happier with
    the Canon. I just got back from CR Saturday and reviewed my pix on my
    computer yesterday. They're great! Well, at least the ones with no
    operator errors involved.
    I strongly reccommend this camera for a kid who'd interested in
    photography. He can go full auto it he is content that way, and get
    good pix, or get more involved and learn about photography and have
    full manual control of the camera. Great learning tool!
    Hope this helps in your world.

    salgud, Feb 27, 2006
  5. Guest

    Thanks all. I see a530 coming out but not till April and am sure the
    price will be higher as it is 5mp and uses DIGIC II processing.

    Thanks again
    Patty

    , Feb 27, 2006

  7. SMS Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks all. I see a530 coming out but not till April and am sure the
    > price will be higher as it is 5mp and uses DIGIC II processing.

    I predict that it'll be less than $200, which is still a good deal. The
    A520 is $158 from Buydig. No way that the A530 will be more than $40 or
    so more.

    SMS, Feb 27, 2006