Is Canon EOS Rebel 2000 digital camera the right thing for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Maxime, Sep 7, 2003.

  1. Maxime

    Maxime Guest

    Hi pals

    I plan to get a digital camera soon, but there's so many, I don't wich
    one to look for.

    Right now i've selected 3 cameras wich I think woud fit me the best:

    - Fuji Finepix 3800
    - Fuji Finepix S5000
    - Canon EOS Digital Rebel

    My favorites is the Rebel because of her features and the price.

    So please help find the right camera and don't be shy to give me any
    advices.
     
    Maxime, Sep 7, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "Maxime" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi pals
    >
    > I plan to get a digital camera soon, but there's so many, I don't wich
    > one to look for.
    >
    > Right now i've selected 3 cameras wich I think woud fit me the best:
    >
    > - Fuji Finepix 3800
    > - Fuji Finepix S5000
    > - Canon EOS Digital Rebel
    >
    > My favorites is the Rebel because of her features and the price.
    >
    > So please help find the right camera and don't be shy to give me any
    > advices.


    I am going to buy a Rebel and it will be my fifth purchase of a digital
    camera. I'm not sure that would also be a good choice for you. There is a
    lot to be said for point and shoot cameras as they are best for most people.
    Do you need a lot of control over aperture, exposure time, ISO, etc? Do you
    need several lenses to do what you like to do? Do you want to increase your
    skills and learn more about photography? Do you plan to add an external
    flash? Do you want to select among various focusing modes? Do you want to
    use a histogram display? Do you want to fool around with white balance?
    Are you considering a move to "professional" status?
     
    Charles Schuler, Sep 7, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "Maxime" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Hi pals
    > >
    > > I plan to get a digital camera soon, but there's so many, I don't wich
    > > one to look for.
    > >
    > > Right now i've selected 3 cameras wich I think woud fit me the best:
    > >
    > > - Fuji Finepix 3800
    > > - Fuji Finepix S5000
    > > - Canon EOS Digital Rebel
    > >
    > > My favorites is the Rebel because of her features and the price.
    > >
    > > So please help find the right camera and don't be shy to give me any
    > > advices.

    >
    > I am going to buy a Rebel and it will be my fifth purchase of a digital
    > camera. I'm not sure that would also be a good choice for you. There is

    a
    > lot to be said for point and shoot cameras as they are best for most

    people.
    > Do you need a lot of control over aperture, exposure time, ISO, etc? Do

    you
    > need several lenses to do what you like to do? Do you want to increase

    your
    > skills and learn more about photography? Do you plan to add an external
    > flash? Do you want to select among various focusing modes? Do you want

    to
    > use a histogram display? Do you want to fool around with white balance?
    > Are you considering a move to "professional" status?
    >
    >


    I disagree with you Charles.
    The Digital Rebel is really just a mass market DSLR camera, and I dont see
    any reason why a new user who is willing to pick up a book and learn a thing
    or two shouldnt consider getting the kit to start out with photography.
    Liken it to someone asking whether or not he should get a Rebel 2000 35mm
    camera or a point and shoot elph. You point out several good reasons why
    someone wanting to get into photography would choose the Digital Rebel. you
    CAN add lenses, change ISO settings without worrying about noise, add
    external flashes, and select amongst various focusing modes.
    The fact that you can go crazy and by canon USM IS lenses alone is a reason
    i would go with that camera now over other models in the "Prosumer" class.
    Keep in mind that even if you want to use the camera as a point and shoot,
    you can put it in auto mode and have the camera make all the decisions for
    you... So really there is no reason to not get the digital rebel, but if you
    do get it, you can be sure of two things:

    1. you will be all set if in the future you decide to go into photography in
    depth - you will not feel limited like with a fixed lens camera.
    2. you will be spending more to get a long zoom lens and a macro lens, but
    not much more.

    All the pros outnumber the cons to me, personally.
     
    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Sep 8, 2003
    #3
  4. Maxime

    HRosita Guest

    >Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

    wrote:
    >Keep in mind that even if you want to use the camera as a point and shoot,
    >you can put it in auto mode and have the camera make all the decisions for
    >you.


    Hi,

    I agree 100%. this is why I put my name in line for a 300D.
    I have two film SLRs (one a pro model) and 80% of the time I use auto settings.
    The cameras are programmed so thatyou can get very good pictures (unless you
    are making a living and have a studio).
    I miss the 400mm tele and the 100-300 zoom and the 100mm macro when I shoot
    with my Minolta D7Hi.

    While quite a few people on this newsgroup prefer manual settings,
    I prefer the programmed modes and prefer to do some editing with Photoshop if
    need be.
    Rosita
     
    HRosita, Sep 8, 2003
    #4
  5. "HRosita" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > >Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

    >
    > wrote:
    > >Keep in mind that even if you want to use the camera as a point and

    shoot,
    > >you can put it in auto mode and have the camera make all the decisions

    for
    > >you.

    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I agree 100%. this is why I put my name in line for a 300D.
    > I have two film SLRs (one a pro model) and 80% of the time I use auto

    settings.
    > The cameras are programmed so thatyou can get very good pictures (unless

    you
    > are making a living and have a studio).
    > I miss the 400mm tele and the 100-300 zoom and the 100mm macro when I

    shoot
    > with my Minolta D7Hi.
    >
    > While quite a few people on this newsgroup prefer manual settings,
    > I prefer the programmed modes and prefer to do some editing with Photoshop

    if
    > need be.
    > Rosita
    >
    >


    Thanks Rosita,

    Now dont get me wrong, i really appreciate the manual override mode on my
    current digital camera (the sony F717), but i think that the point to which
    some people take manual vs auto are just plain stupid.
    You know, if you want to go out with a telephoto lens and shoot sports, good
    luck adjusting shutter and aperture faster than you lenses and camera are
    able to...
    Again though, i wouldnt really recommend a camera to most people that didnt
    offer a manual mode, simply because one never knows if they will need to
    override the auto settings to get a good exposure once in a while.

    I dont live in auto mode personally, but its nice to have an aperture and
    shutter priority when i need it.
     
    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Sep 8, 2003
    #5
  6. Maxime

    Rudy Smith Guest

    "Maxime" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi pals
    >
    > I plan to get a digital camera soon, but there's so many, I don't wich
    > one to look for.
    >
    > Right now i've selected 3 cameras wich I think woud fit me the best:
    >
    > - Fuji Finepix 3800
    > - Fuji Finepix S5000
    > - Canon EOS Digital Rebel
    >
    > My favorites is the Rebel because of her features and the price.
    >
    > So please help find the right camera and don't be shy to give me any
    > advices.


    Wow now i know why i liked the rebel as well. Its a *her*. How do you tell
    the sex in a camera? I would have to guess anything that comes with just a
    hole would be a her.......and anything with a pop out lens would be a
    him.......just pulling your chain max, i am going with the rebel. I have 3
    boys guess its time for a girl camera.
     
    Rudy Smith, Sep 8, 2003
    #6
  7. Maxime

    Ed E. Guest


    > Wow now i know why i liked the rebel as well. Its a *her*. How do you

    tell
    > the sex in a camera?


    Many lenses can be 'mated' with her, provided they are of compatible size
    and can speak nicely to her.
     
    Ed E., Sep 8, 2003
    #7
  8. Maxime

    Ms. Jaime Guest

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 00:51:23 GMT, "Steven C \(Doktersteve\)"
    <> wrote:


    >Huh? Check out vistek in toronto, they have some good 75-300mm canon USM
    >lenses for a few hundred dollars.


    I'll bet Camtech in Hamilton has them too.
     
    Ms. Jaime, Sep 9, 2003
    #8
  9. Maxime

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <fu97b.73686$kW.15547@edtnps84>, Steven C (Doktersteve) wrote:

    > Huh? Check out vistek in toronto, they have some good 75-300mm canon USM
    > lenses for a few hundred dollars. You CAN spend a ton on lenses, but if you
    > need a wide angle and a zoom lens, just by them and stick with them, no need
    > to get more lenses than you need, and perhaps you were looking at image
    > stabalization lenses? this is what i would imagine.


    As I said, you *can* spend twice on the lens what you spent on the camera.
    For instance, the ~20-70 f1.8 USM (I don't remember the exact range), and
    some others.

    --
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Mike Graham | Metalworker, rustic, part-time zealot.
    mike 'at' metalmangler.com |
    <http://www.metalmangler.com>| Caledon, Ontario, Canada

    Lousy photographer with a really nice camera - Olympus C3020Zoom.
    <http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>
     
    Mike Graham, Sep 9, 2003
    #9
  10. If you do buy the digital Rebel, buy the body only and the 1.4 50mm
    USM lens as your first lens. Do not buy that slow, piece of shit kit
    lens that comes with the Rebel kit. It truly sucks my twat.



    (Maxime) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi pals
    >
    > I plan to get a digital camera soon, but there's so many, I don't wich
    > one to look for.
    >
    > Right now i've selected 3 cameras wich I think woud fit me the best:
    >
    > - Fuji Finepix 3800
    > - Fuji Finepix S5000
    > - Canon EOS Digital Rebel
    >
    > My favorites is the Rebel because of her features and the price.
    >
    > So please help find the right camera and don't be shy to give me any
    > advices.
     
    Monica Krowley, Sep 9, 2003
    #10
  11. Maxime

    Mark B. Guest

    "Rudy Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:qxR6b.1423$...

    >
    > Wow now i know why i liked the rebel as well. Its a *her*. How do you

    tell
    > the sex in a camera? I would have to guess anything that comes with just a
    > hole would be a her.......and anything with a pop out lens would be a
    > him.......just pulling your chain max, i am going with the rebel. I have 3
    > boys guess its time for a girl camera.
    >
    >


    Well, it must be a "her" because of the sexual relations the lens is having
    with Monica Krowley.

    Mark
     
    Mark B., Sep 10, 2003
    #11
  12. Maxime

    Guest

    In message <fu97b.73686$kW.15547@edtnps84>,
    "Steven C \(Doktersteve\)" <> wrote:

    >Huh? Check out vistek in toronto, they have some good 75-300mm canon USM
    >lenses for a few hundred dollars. You CAN spend a ton on lenses, but if you
    >need a wide angle and a zoom lens, just by them and stick with them, no need
    >to get more lenses than you need, and perhaps you were looking at image
    >stabalization lenses? this is what i would imagine.


    You'd be surprised how fast a honeymoon with a lens can end, though. I
    bought a Canon 75-300mm IS right after I bought the 10D, and kept it
    past my 2-week window of refund opportunity because I was in love with
    the IS. It turns out that just about everything else about the lens is
    disappointing to me, though. It's not particularly sharp at 300mm. The
    flash often fails with this lens attached (and with no other lenses),
    and the auto-focus is only good at 300mm under bright light. It is very
    painful to use with a rotating filter (polarizer or graduated
    neutral-density), because the lens thread rotates with both the zoom and
    the focusing. It has no focusing info on the lens, so you can't set a
    hyper-focal distance by number.

    My employer decided to stage a state-of-emergency for 4 weeks from the
    end of july to the end of august, forcing me to work 12 hours a day, 7
    days a week. Of course, I had to buy myself something nice with the
    heightened income.
    I bought the Canon 300mm f4L IS a couple of weeks ago, and what a
    difference. It was like the 75-300 IS was reducing my 6.3 megapixels to
    about 2 or 3; it just doesn't resolve enough detail for the sensor, and
    doesn't even get close unless you stop way down. The 300mm f4L IS
    saturates the sensor with detail wide open, and can get even more with
    two tele-converters stacked. I keep the 1.4x Canon TC attached
    permanently to the lens; it is like a sharp 420mm f5.6 lens. Even
    adding my Tamron 2x converter resolves even more subject detail on the
    sensor (although you can see that it is not fully saturating the sensor
    anymore).
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
     
    , Sep 13, 2003
    #12
  13. Re: Is Canon EOS Rebel 2000 digital camera the right thing for abeginner?

    writes:

    > I bought the Canon 300mm f4L IS a couple of weeks ago, and what a
    > difference. It was like the 75-300 IS was reducing my 6.3
    > megapixels to about 2 or 3; it just doesn't resolve enough detail
    > for the sensor, and doesn't even get close unless you stop way down.
    > The 300mm f4L IS saturates the sensor with detail wide open, and can
    > get even more with


    From the 75-300 to a 300 f4L, well thats almost as extreme a change you
    could make!

    Borrow a film body and shoot a roll of TP or good colour film. Digital
    can't match the full quality of those lenses.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
    West Australia 6076
    comp.os.vms,- The Older, Grumpier Slashdot
    Raw, Cooked or Well-done, it's all half baked.
    EPIC, The Architecture of the future, always has been, always will be.
     
    Paul Repacholi, Sep 14, 2003
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Moe
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    2,408
    Povl H. Pedersen
    Jan 3, 2004
  2. BPO
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    6,203
  3. Michael P Gabriel

    An available book for, "Canon EOS REBEL 2000 35mm

    Michael P Gabriel, Jun 17, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    299
    Michael P Gabriel
    Jun 17, 2004
  4. fatboybrando

    EOS 300D & EOS 300D Rebel

    fatboybrando, Mar 26, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    468
    fatboybrando
    Mar 26, 2005
  5. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,010
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page