    it and the A70 were aluminum-bodied. What gives? Are there two
    versions?

    Ben

    Ben, Jan 18, 2004

  2. "Ben" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I was all set to buy an A80, until I saw one up close for the first
    > time and realized its body was 100% plastic. Suddenly, I didn't want
    > to pay so much for it anymore. In more than one place, I'd read that
    > it and the A70 were aluminum-bodied. What gives? Are there two
    > versions?
    >
    > Ben

    Why does the body being plastic turn you off so much? Are you planning on
    really being hard on it?
    The only reason I ask is because I had a plastic cased a40, and it is/was a
    great camera, which I still take out sometimes.
    The build is quite solid.

    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Jan 18, 2004

  3. Ben

    Brian Guest

    "Steven C (Doktersteve)" <> wrote in message

    > "Ben" <> wrote in message
    > > I was all set to buy an A80, until I saw one up close for the first
    > > time and realized its body was 100% plastic. Suddenly, I didn't want
    > > to pay so much for it anymore. In more than one place, I'd read that
    > > it and the A70 were aluminum-bodied. What gives? Are there two
    > > versions?
    > >
    > > Ben

    > Why does the body being plastic turn you off so much? Are you planning on
    > really being hard on it?
    > The only reason I ask is because I had a plastic cased a40, and it is/was

    > great camera, which I still take out sometimes.
    > The build is quite solid.

    I second that. I have an A40 (plastic) and it looks fine. I take it
    everywhere and it is holding up very well. B.

    Brian, Jan 18, 2004
  4. Kim/Dreamspinner3, Jan 18, 2004
  5. Ben

    Bob Galvin Guest

    I agree with the other posters. I have owned an A20 and now an A70 and was
    very pleased with the build quality of both. They are some of the most
    solid feeling digital cameras out there. They appear to be metal cases to
    me as is also stated on the Canon website. In any case, metal or plastic, I
    think you'll be happy with the way they feel and perform.

    http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/a70-60/index.html

    Bob Galvin, Jan 18, 2004
  6. Ben

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Brian wrote:

    > "Steven C (Doktersteve)" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Ben" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I was all set to buy an A80, until I saw one up close for the first
    >>>time and realized its body was 100% plastic. Suddenly, I didn't want
    >>>to pay so much for it anymore. In more than one place, I'd read that
    >>>it and the A70 were aluminum-bodied. What gives? Are there two
    >>>versions?
    >>>
    >>>Ben

    >>Why does the body being plastic turn you off so much? Are you planning on
    >>really being hard on it?
    >>The only reason I ask is because I had a plastic cased a40, and it is/was

    >>great camera, which I still take out sometimes.
    >>The build is quite solid.
    >>

    > I second that. I have an A40 (plastic) and it looks fine. I take it
    > everywhere and it is holding up very well. B.

    I suspect that some people would rather spend their money for something
    that LOOKS good, rather than something with good sensors, good optics,
    and a good user interface. It's their money.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 18, 2004
  7. Ben

    Mark B. Guest

    "Ben" <> wrote in message
    > I was all set to buy an A80, until I saw one up close for the first
    > time and realized its body was 100% plastic. Suddenly, I didn't want
    > to pay so much for it anymore. In more than one place, I'd read that
    > it and the A70 were aluminum-bodied. What gives? Are there two
    > versions?
    >
    > Ben

    So what if it is plastic? Plastic actually absorbs shock better than
    metal - metal will dent. Not to mention it makes a portable cam heavier,
    not a reason most people buy a portable digicam.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jan 18, 2004
  8. Ben

    Freemale Guest

    The A80 is not plastic. Most of it is metal. Build quality is A1 with the
    exception of the card door, which seems to be a problem on most cameras.
    I bought one Xmas and it is great. Full man controls etc. Great quality
    images. Nothing in the price range comes near it.

    Freemale, Jan 18, 2004
  9. Ron Hunter <> writes:

    >I suspect that some people would rather spend their money for something
    >that LOOKS good, rather than something with good sensors, good optics,
    >and a good user interface. It's their money.

    It even makes sense if they treat the camera as more of a fashion
    accessory than an image-making instrument. Some manufacturers are
    explicitly catering to this; for example the Canon SD-10 is available in
    4 different colours!

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jan 18, 2004
  10. > It even makes sense if they treat the camera as more of a fashion
    > accessory than an image-making instrument. Some manufacturers are
    > explicitly catering to this; for example the Canon SD-10 is available in
    > 4 different colours!
    >
    > Dave

    ... used to be able to get either "silver" or "black" bodies for some
    expensive SLRs, as I recall.... Probably not P.C. today!

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 18, 2004
  11. Ben

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:0lBOb.3183$ "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit> wrote:

    > .. used to be able to get either "silver" or "black" bodies for some
    > expensive SLRs, as I recall.... Probably not P.C. today!

    The black bodies were supposedly for "professionals", ostensibly because
    they'd attract less attention than a chrome camera body.

    In fact, they were so unusual (until they became something of a fashion
    statement of their own) that they stood out like a sore thumb and probably
    got more stares than otherwise.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Jan 18, 2004
  12. Ben

    Ben Guest

    > I suspect that some people would rather spend their money for something
    > that LOOKS good, rather than something with good sensors, good optics,
    > and a good user interface. It's their money.

    FYI, I WOULD much rather spend my money on something with good
    sensors, etc., which is what it sounds like the A-series is. I was
    just curious about why it didn't appear to have the described metal
    casing, that's all (Perhaps it just LOOKS like plastic, although the
    guys in the store said that yes, it was plastic). I guess one reason
    I'm wary of plastic is because one has to be a lot more conscious of
    what's on their hands (i.e: Bug repellant, etc.) when touching it.

    Ben

    Ben, Jan 18, 2004
  13. Ben

    y_p_w Guest

    Ben wrote:

    >>I suspect that some people would rather spend their money for something
    >>that LOOKS good, rather than something with good sensors, good optics,
    >>and a good user interface. It's their money.

    > FYI, I WOULD much rather spend my money on something with good
    > sensors, etc., which is what it sounds like the A-series is. I was
    > just curious about why it didn't appear to have the described metal
    > casing, that's all (Perhaps it just LOOKS like plastic, although the
    > guys in the store said that yes, it was plastic). I guess one reason
    > I'm wary of plastic is because one has to be a lot more conscious of
    > what's on their hands (i.e: Bug repellant, etc.) when touching it.

    The Digital ELPHs (IXUS?) have magnesium bodies, and look like it.

    I wear sunscreens during the summer, and some of them have ingredients
    absolutely eats through polystyrene or ABS (the "S" stands for styrene)
    plastics. I have one bottle of sunscreen - with a polystyrene cap
    that now looks like the Elephant Man. My Walkman was permanently
    damaged by another brand of sunscreen (they were both in my pocket).
    Always be careful handling CD jewel cases.

    y_p_w, Jan 19, 2004
  14. Ben

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ben wrote:

    >>I suspect that some people would rather spend their money for something
    >>that LOOKS good, rather than something with good sensors, good optics,
    >>and a good user interface. It's their money.

    > FYI, I WOULD much rather spend my money on something with good
    > sensors, etc., which is what it sounds like the A-series is. I was
    > just curious about why it didn't appear to have the described metal
    > casing, that's all (Perhaps it just LOOKS like plastic, although the
    > guys in the store said that yes, it was plastic). I guess one reason
    > I'm wary of plastic is because one has to be a lot more conscious of
    > what's on their hands (i.e: Bug repellant, etc.) when touching it.
    >
    > Ben

    My camera body seems to be Lexan. Not too much that is going to damage
    it that wouldn't also run right through aluminum, or magnesium.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 19, 2004