    Could I call my Mum's VOIP line free from X-Lite etc?

    All the best ..

    T i m
    T i m, Jun 27, 2007

  2. T i m

    Wispa Guest

    On 27 Jun, 11:50, T i m <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was just wondering, pre getting a SIP compatible router here at
    > home, if BT's VOIP offering as comes with their Home Hub offering is
    > SIP compatible?
    >
    > Could I call my Mum's VOIP line free from X-Lite etc?
    >
    > All the best ..
    >
    > T i m

    Hi Tim,

    The Internet phone service that comes with BT Broadband is SIP.
    However, it is a closed network and unlike many other SIP networks you
    can not connect to it using X-Lite etc. The only softphone currently
    supported is BT's own which incidently was written by the same people
    that developed X-Lite.

    Many other SIP networks like wispa, sipgate, gizmo provide the ability
    to talk to SIP users for free. For example a wispa user can talk to
    other wispa users and gizmo users for free using either a softphone or
    hardphone. Using BT's SIP network you can call other BT SIP users for
    free softphone to softphone but pay for calls when using their
    hardphone unless calls are made during the evening or weekend.

    In summary it is a SIP network but not all SIP networks are equal and
    in my opinion, BT's network is less equal from the consumers
    perspective than many others available on the market.

    Regards
    Graeme
    Wispa - developers of Skype and SIP application services
    www.wispa.it
    Wispa, Jun 27, 2007

  3. T i m

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:41:40 -0700, Wispa
    <> wrote:

    >On 27 Jun, 11:50, T i m <> wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I was just wondering, pre getting a SIP compatible router here at
    >> home, if BT's VOIP offering as comes with their Home Hub offering is
    >> SIP compatible?
    >>
    >> Could I call my Mum's VOIP line free from X-Lite etc?
    >>
    >> All the best ..
    >>
    >> T i m

    >Hi Tim,
    >
    >The Internet phone service that comes with BT Broadband is SIP.
    >However, it is a closed network and unlike many other SIP networks you
    >can not connect to it using X-Lite etc. The only softphone currently
    >supported is BT's own which incidently was written by the same people
    >that developed X-Lite.
    >
    >Many other SIP networks like wispa, sipgate, gizmo provide the ability
    >to talk to SIP users for free. For example a wispa user can talk to
    >other wispa users and gizmo users for free using either a softphone or
    >hardphone. Using BT's SIP network you can call other BT SIP users for
    >free softphone to softphone but pay for calls when using their
    >hardphone unless calls are made during the evening or weekend.
    >
    >In summary it is a SIP network but not all SIP networks are equal and
    >in my opinion, BT's network is less equal from the consumers
    >perspective than many others available on the market.
    >
    >Regards
    >Graeme
    >Wispa - developers of Skype and SIP application services
    >www.wispa.it

    ....and, am I not right in saying, that they block the use of other
    operators' voip services?

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Get your friends to sign too!
    TV.
    ---
    Brian A, Jun 27, 2007
  4. T i m

    T i m Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On 27 Jun, 11:50, T i m <> wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I was just wondering, pre getting a SIP compatible router here at
    >> home, if BT's VOIP offering as comes with their Home Hub offering is
    >> SIP compatible?
    >>
    >> Could I call my Mum's VOIP line free from X-Lite etc?
    >>
    >> All the best ..
    >>
    >> T i m

    >Hi Tim,

    Hi Graeme,

    >The Internet phone service that comes with BT Broadband is SIP.

    Ok ..

    >However, it is a closed network and unlike many other SIP networks you
    >can not connect to it using X-Lite etc. The only softphone currently
    >supported is BT's own which incidently was written by the same people
    >that developed X-Lite.

    Typical .. ;-)

    >Many other SIP networks like wispa, sipgate, gizmo provide the ability
    >to talk to SIP users for free.

    I have a Sipgate account but thought I read somewhere it has also
    recently shut it's doors to outsider SIP networks?

    > For example a wispa user can talk to
    >other wispa users and gizmo users for free using either a softphone or
    >hardphone.

    So are there some SIP networks that *do* allow x-network chat or would
    they be an exception at the moment?

    > Using BT's SIP network you can call other BT SIP users for
    >free softphone to softphone but pay for calls when using their
    >hardphone unless calls are made during the evening or weekend.

    Understood.

    >In summary it is a SIP network but not all SIP networks are equal and
    >in my opinion, BT's network is less equal from the consumers
    >perspective than many others available on the market.

    ;-)

    Thanks very much for the info Graeme.

    All the best ..

    T i m
    T i m, Jun 27, 2007
  5. T i m

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "T i m" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > I have a Sipgate account but thought I read somewhere it
    > has also recently shut it's doors to outsider SIP
    > networks?

    Only those without a peering agreement. Gradwell for example to Sipgate
    works fine.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 28, 2007
  6. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 00:35:13 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"T i m" <> wrote in message
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> I have a Sipgate account but thought I read somewhere it
    >> has also recently shut it's doors to outsider SIP
    >> networks?

    >Only those without a peering agreement. Gradwell for example to Sipgate
    >works fine.

    Ah, thanks Ivor.

    What about DrayTel (as I now know one mate has an older DrayTek router
    and uses the VoIP features)?

    Is there a table of the providers that have such an agreement out
    there do you know please?

    All the best ..

    T i m
    T i m, Jun 28, 2007
  7. T i m

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "T i m" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Ah, thanks Ivor.
    >
    > What about DrayTel (as I now know one mate has an older
    > DrayTek router and uses the VoIP features)?
    >
    > Is there a table of the providers that have such an
    > agreement out there do you know please?

    Sipgate's website has a list but not sure how up to date it is.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 28, 2007
  8. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:20:08 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"T i m" <> wrote in message
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> Ah, thanks Ivor.
    >>
    >> What about DrayTel (as I now know one mate has an older
    >> DrayTek router and uses the VoIP features)?
    >>
    >> Is there a table of the providers that have such an
    >> agreement out there do you know please?

    >Sipgate's website has a list but not sure how up to date it is.

    Thanks for that Ivor, I'll check it out.

    All the best ..

    T i m
    T i m, Jun 28, 2007
  9. "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:41:40 -0700, Wispa
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 27 Jun, 11:50, T i m <> wrote:
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I was just wondering, pre getting a SIP compatible router here at
    >>> home, if BT's VOIP offering as comes with their Home Hub offering is
    >>> SIP compatible?
    >>>
    >>> Could I call my Mum's VOIP line free from X-Lite etc?
    >>>
    >>> All the best ..
    >>>
    >>> T i m

    >>Hi Tim,
    >>
    >>The Internet phone service that comes with BT Broadband is SIP.
    >>However, it is a closed network and unlike many other SIP networks you
    >>can not connect to it using X-Lite etc. The only softphone currently
    >>supported is BT's own which incidently was written by the same people
    >>that developed X-Lite.

    So can you overlay another SIP service through a BT router or will it block
    calls?

    R. Mark Clayton, Jun 29, 2007