    Sony PLAYSTATION®3 (which plays Blu-ray ) and 3% have the external HD DVD
    drive for the Xbox® 360 (which plays HD DVDs).

    http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/pubs/Harris_Poll_2009_06_18.pdf

    Woger, Jun 23, 2009

  2. Woger

    Mutlley Guest

    Woger <> wrote:

    >While Blu-ray was declared the big "winner" in the high definition format war
    >last year, consumers may be slow to be part of the winning team. In fact,
    >Americans are not jumping on board with any of the high definition DVD
    >players. Just one in ten Americans (11%) own a HD DVD player while 7% own a
    >Blu-ray player. Looking at the other devices for playing HD DVDs, 9% own a
    >Sony PLAYSTATION®3 (which plays Blu-ray ) and 3% have the external HD DVD
    >drive for the Xbox® 360 (which plays HD DVDs).
    >
    >http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/pubs/Harris_Poll_2009_06_18.pdf

    Went to JBHiFi's family and friends sale last nite with the idea of
    looking at Blu-ray players. No specials with these things. The
    cheapest I saw was a Sony for about $830. At those prices BD in NZ
    will not go far. Even in Ozz you can get a BD player for around the
    A$230 area..

    Mind you if you wanted a TV, camera, camcorder, DVD player then there
    were some good bargains..

    Mutlley, Jun 23, 2009

  3. Woger

    Cima Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 08:13:10 +1200, Mutlley <> wrote:

    >Woger <> wrote:
    >

    >>While Blu-ray was declared the big "winner" in the high definition format war
    >>last year, consumers may be slow to be part of the winning team. In fact,
    >>Americans are not jumping on board with any of the high definition DVD
    >>players. Just one in ten Americans (11%) own a HD DVD player while 7% own a
    >>Blu-ray player. Looking at the other devices for playing HD DVDs, 9% own a
    >>Sony PLAYSTATION®3 (which plays Blu-ray ) and 3% have the external HD DVD
    >>drive for the Xbox® 360 (which plays HD DVDs).
    >>
    >>http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/pubs/Harris_Poll_2009_06_18.pdf

    >Went to JBHiFi's family and friends sale last nite with the idea of
    >looking at Blu-ray players. No specials with these things. The
    >cheapest I saw was a Sony for about $830. At those prices BD in NZ
    >will not go far. Even in Ozz you can get a BD player for around the
    >A$230 area..
    >
    >Mind you if you wanted a TV, camera, camcorder, DVD player then there
    >were some good bargains..

    If you go back 10 years, DVD players were around that mark. The cheapo, as in
    <$300, didn't hit until around 2000/01. No doubt Blu-ray players will be a lot
    cheaper down the line.

    Cima, Jun 23, 2009
  4. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 08:13:10 +1200, Mutlley <> wrote:

    >Woger <> wrote:
    >

    >>While Blu-ray was declared the big "winner" in the high definition format war
    >>last year, consumers may be slow to be part of the winning team. In fact,
    >>Americans are not jumping on board with any of the high definition DVD
    >>players. Just one in ten Americans (11%) own a HD DVD player while 7% own a
    >>Blu-ray player. Looking at the other devices for playing HD DVDs, 9% own a
    >>Sony PLAYSTATION®3 (which plays Blu-ray ) and 3% have the external HD DVD
    >>drive for the Xbox® 360 (which plays HD DVDs).
    >>
    >>http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/pubs/Harris_Poll_2009_06_18.pdf

    >Went to JBHiFi's family and friends sale last nite with the idea of
    >looking at Blu-ray players. No specials with these things. The
    >cheapest I saw was a Sony for about $830. At those prices BD in NZ
    >will not go far. Even in Ozz you can get a BD player for around the
    >A$230 area..
    >
    >Mind you if you wanted a TV, camera, camcorder, DVD player then there
    >were some good bargains..

    The LV Martin Sale.??

    Has a Sony for $599.99 and a Panasonic $649.99

    Profit margins on this kind of stuff is around 500% My old boss got a TV
    Cabinet for $160 the list price was $560 but he new the sales man so got it
    for cost..

    Go to the Web sites of the main shops, yes I know that LV. Martin is only in
    Wellington, but all the other main shops have web site, but H.N. and the
    100% shop does not from memory

    Woger, Jun 24, 2009
  5. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:02:34 +1200, Cima <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 08:13:10 +1200, Mutlley <> wrote:
    >
    >>Woger <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>While Blu-ray was declared the big "winner" in the high definition format war
    >>>last year, consumers may be slow to be part of the winning team. In fact,
    >>>Americans are not jumping on board with any of the high definition DVD
    >>>players. Just one in ten Americans (11%) own a HD DVD player while 7% own a
    >>>Blu-ray player. Looking at the other devices for playing HD DVDs, 9% own a
    >>>Sony PLAYSTATION®3 (which plays Blu-ray ) and 3% have the external HD DVD
    >>>drive for the Xbox® 360 (which plays HD DVDs).
    >>>
    >>>http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/pubs/Harris_Poll_2009_06_18.pdf

    >>Went to JBHiFi's family and friends sale last nite with the idea of
    >>looking at Blu-ray players. No specials with these things. The
    >>cheapest I saw was a Sony for about $830. At those prices BD in NZ
    >>will not go far. Even in Ozz you can get a BD player for around the
    >>A$230 area..
    >>
    >>Mind you if you wanted a TV, camera, camcorder, DVD player then there
    >>were some good bargains..

    >If you go back 10 years, DVD players were around that mark. The cheapo, as in
    ><$300, didn't hit until around 2000/01. No doubt Blu-ray players will be a lot
    >cheaper down the line.

    But still a upscaling DVD player is far far cheaper $100 and gives near
    Blu-ray quality

    Woger, Jun 24, 2009
  6. Woger

    Richard Guest

    Woger wrote:

    > But still a upscaling DVD player is far far cheaper $100 and gives near
    > Blu-ray quality

    No it doesnt, it gives a shoody image with excessive sharpness and in
    the case of one I looked at bad ringing on any edges when outputting
    1080. Infact it looked about as bad as turning the sharpness on my old
    crap tv up to maximum...

    Richard, Jun 24, 2009
  7. In article <>, Mutlley <> wrote:
    >Woger <> wrote:
    >

    >>While Blu-ray was declared the big "winner" in the high definition format war
    >>last year, consumers may be slow to be part of the winning team. In fact,
    >>Americans are not jumping on board with any of the high definition DVD
    >>players. Just one in ten Americans (11%) own a HD DVD player while 7% own a
    >>Blu-ray player. Looking at the other devices for playing HD DVDs, 9% own a
    >>Sony PLAYSTATION®3 (which plays Blu-ray ) and 3% have the external HD DVD
    >>drive for the Xbox® 360 (which plays HD DVDs).
    >>
    >>http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/pubs/Harris_Poll_2009_06_18.pdf

    >Went to JBHiFi's family and friends sale last nite with the idea of
    >looking at Blu-ray players. No specials with these things. The
    >cheapest I saw was a Sony for about $830. At those prices BD in NZ
    >will not go far. Even in Ozz you can get a BD player for around the
    >A$230 area..

    :) I looked at blu ray last year. No recorders. That decided me that it was
    a lame duck ... apart from the price of course. :)
    It feels dead to me ... but who knows ... wasn't that what they said about
    <insert name of still alive thing like vinyl here> :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 24, 2009
  8. Woger

    Me Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Woger wrote:
    >

    >> But still a upscaling DVD player is far far cheaper $100 and gives near
    >> Blu-ray quality

    > No it doesnt, it gives a shoody image with excessive sharpness and in
    > the case of one I looked at bad ringing on any edges when outputting
    > 1080. Infact it looked about as bad as turning the sharpness on my old
    > crap tv up to maximum...

    Now that's true, but OTOH, No movie I've disliked would I have liked had
    I seen it in HD, and the range of blu ray titles at my local video store
    truly sucks.

    Me, Jun 24, 2009
  9. In message <>, Woger wrote:

    > But still a upscaling DVD player is far far cheaper $100 and gives near
    > Blu-ray quality

    You cannot put back fine detail that the image simply doesn't have.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 24, 2009
  10. In message <>, Cima wrote:

    > If you go back 10 years, DVD players were around that mark.

    The difference is that they offered a noticeable step up in quality from VHS
    for the price. Nowadays, a lot of people can't even tell whether they're
    watching an SD or an HD image, which is why they've been so slow to embrace
    Blu-Ray.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 24, 2009
  11. Woger

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:03:23 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Woger wrote:
    >

    >> But still a upscaling DVD player is far far cheaper $100 and gives near
    >> Blu-ray quality

    >No it doesnt, it gives a shoody image with excessive sharpness and in
    >the case of one I looked at bad ringing on any edges when outputting
    >1080. Infact it looked about as bad as turning the sharpness on my old
    >crap tv up to maximum...

    Perhaps you have a bad DVD player. DVD players are not all equal.
    Also, not all DVDs are equal either. Some are just awful, but some
    are sublime. Are you using HDMI? Upscaling DVD players only upscale
    through HDMI, otherwise the upscaling is done in the TV and some TVs
    are better than others at upscaling. BTW you don't need to buy an
    expensive brand-name HDMI cable to get good quality. HDMI is pure
    digital and is not subject to ghosting and interference. The Canadian
    Broadcasting Company tested a range of cables and found no difference
    in signal output:
    http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2008/02/20/packing_the_deal/ Get an
    HDMI 1.3b cable if upscaling to 1080p to be on the safe side.

    I have a full HD 42" Panasonic plasma TV and a Panasonic EH58 250GB
    HDD DVD recorder (made region free), connected via a Economy Gold HDMI
    Cable from http://www.rapalloav.co.nz/products.php?cat=27&sub=32 which
    cost me $25 plus freight at the time (I got two) but they are on
    special now. At a viewing distance of about 2.8m the following DVDs
    play with superb quality, making me wonder why anyone would need
    Blu-Ray :

    The Last of the Mohicans, The Flight of the Phoenix (not the remake),
    the Bill Murray movie The Man Who Knew Too Little, The Secret Garden,
    My Father the Hero, and many more.

    But these ones are abyssmal: Shout at the Devil, The Rise and Fall of
    the Roman Empire, Overboard, Zulu Dawn, early version of Zulu (which
    originally appeared at $10), the R4 version of Walkabout, and others.

    Nighthawk, Jun 24, 2009
  12. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:03:23 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Woger wrote:
    >

    >> But still a upscaling DVD player is far far cheaper $100 and gives near
    >> Blu-ray quality

    >No it doesnt, it gives a shoody image with excessive sharpness and in
    >the case of one I looked at bad ringing on any edges when outputting
    >1080. Infact it looked about as bad as turning the sharpness on my old
    >crap tv up to maximum...

    Totally untrue you must have Crap gear.

    Plus plenty of comments on this on the Net so its just not me stating this..

    Woger, Jun 24, 2009
  13. Woger

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:47:11 +1200, Woger <> wrote:

    >While Blu-ray was declared the big "winner" in the high definition format war
    >last year, consumers may be slow to be part of the winning team. In fact,
    >Americans are not jumping on board with any of the high definition DVD
    >players. Just one in ten Americans (11%) own a HD DVD player while 7% own a
    >Blu-ray player. Looking at the other devices for playing HD DVDs, 9% own a
    >Sony PLAYSTATION®3 (which plays Blu-ray ) and 3% have the external HD DVD
    >drive for the Xbox® 360 (which plays HD DVDs).
    >
    >http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/pubs/Harris_Poll_2009_06_18.pdf

    I think most people are satisfied with the quality of DVD. Blu-Ray is
    mainly beneficial if you are close enough to the TV to actually see
    the extra detail. My sister has a very big lounge and some years ago
    bought a 42" plasma TV that was only 1024x768 pixel resolution. Given
    the large viewing distance (7m+) the picture looks fine, even through
    a composite connection, and you would be hard pressed to differentiate
    between DVD and Blu-Ray at that distance. I also have a 42" plasma,
    but it is full HD 1920x1080. I watch at 2.8m and find it the optimum
    distance for detail and being able to see the whole picture.

    The other problem with Blu-Ray, apart from the cost of the players, is
    the lack of titles. There is very little available on Blu-Ray that I
    would be interested in. Blu-Ray is mainly suitable for modern movies
    that were produced on 1080p. Few modern movies interest me.

    Nighthawk, Jun 24, 2009
  14. In message <4a41b456$0$1090$4all.se>, Bruce Sinclair
    wrote:

    > It feels dead to me ... but who knows ... wasn't that what they said about
    > <insert name of still alive thing like vinyl here> :)

    Vinyl is alive the same way horse-drawn transport is still alive.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 24, 2009
  15. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:02:17 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Woger wrote:
    >
    >> But still a upscaling DVD player is far far cheaper $100 and gives near
    >> Blu-ray quality

    >You cannot put back fine detail that the image simply doesn't have.

    Go read the NET, its the way to do it and saves you Lots of money..

    Woger, Jun 24, 2009
  16. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:36:08 +1200, Nighthawk <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:03:23 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>Woger wrote:
    >>

    >>> But still a upscaling DVD player is far far cheaper $100 and gives near
    >>> Blu-ray quality

    >>No it doesnt, it gives a shoody image with excessive sharpness and in
    >>the case of one I looked at bad ringing on any edges when outputting
    >>1080. Infact it looked about as bad as turning the sharpness on my old
    >>crap tv up to maximum...

    >Perhaps you have a bad DVD player. DVD players are not all equal.
    >Also, not all DVDs are equal either. Some are just awful, but some
    >are sublime. Are you using HDMI? Upscaling DVD players only upscale
    >through HDMI, otherwise the upscaling is done in the TV and some TVs
    >are better than others at upscaling. BTW you don't need to buy an
    >expensive brand-name HDMI cable to get good quality. HDMI is pure
    >digital and is not subject to ghosting and interference. The Canadian
    >Broadcasting Company tested a range of cables and found no difference
    >in signal output:
    >http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2008/02/20/packing_the_deal/ Get an
    >HDMI 1.3b cable if upscaling to 1080p to be on the safe side.
    >
    >I have a full HD 42" Panasonic plasma TV and a Panasonic EH58 250GB
    >HDD DVD recorder (made region free), connected via a Economy Gold HDMI
    >Cable from http://www.rapalloav.co.nz/products.php?cat=27&sub=32 which
    >cost me $25 plus freight at the time (I got two) but they are on
    >special now. At a viewing distance of about 2.8m the following DVDs
    >play with superb quality, making me wonder why anyone would need
    >Blu-Ray :
    >
    >The Last of the Mohicans, The Flight of the Phoenix (not the remake),
    >the Bill Murray movie The Man Who Knew Too Little, The Secret Garden,
    >My Father the Hero, and many more.
    >
    >But these ones are abyssmal: Shout at the Devil, The Rise and Fall of
    >the Roman Empire, Overboard, Zulu Dawn, early version of Zulu (which
    >originally appeared at $10), the R4 version of Walkabout, and others.

    I have very similar Panasonic equipments and the DVD look great, the last one
    that I have been playing is the DVD of Wild China and the quantity is
    fantastic..

    Some HS Recorder as you but a 37" Panasonic LCD with built in Freeview

    I have seen many many post on the net regarding that Upscaling is the way to
    go, Blu-ray had very little improvements for the outlay of cash..

    Plus you can play you can play you current collection of DVD's in near
    Blu-ray quality

    Woger, Jun 24, 2009
  17. Woger

    Logo Guest

    On Jun 24, 2:29 pm, Woger <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 08:13:10 +1200, Mutlley <> wrote:
    > >Woger <> wrote:

    > >>While Blu-ray was declared the big "winner" in the high definition format war
    > >>last year, consumers may be slow to be part of the winning team. In fact,
    > >>Americans are not jumping on board with any of the high definition DVD
    > >>players. Just one in ten Americans (11%) own a HD DVD player while 7% own a
    > >>Blu-ray player. Looking at the other devices for playing HD DVDs, 9% own a
    > >>Sony PLAYSTATION®3 (which plays Blu-ray ) and 3% have the external HD DVD
    > >>drive for the Xbox® 360 (which plays HD DVDs).

    > >>http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/pubs/Harris_Poll_2009_06....

    > >Went to JBHiFi's family and friends sale last nite with the idea of
    > >looking at Blu-ray players.  No specials with these  things.  The
    > >cheapest I saw was a Sony for about $830.  At those prices  BD in NZ
    > >will not go far.  Even in Ozz you can get a BD player for around the
    > >A$230  area..

    > >Mind you if you wanted a TV, camera, camcorder, DVD player  then there
    > >were some good bargains..

    > The LV Martin Sale.??
    >
    > Has a Sony for $599.99  and a Panasonic $649.99
    >
    > Profit margins on this kind of stuff is around 500%   My old boss got a TV
    > Cabinet for $160  the list price was $560  but he new the sales man so got it
    > for cost..

    The tv cabinets are like the extended warranties - huge markups but
    you'll find the actual electronics have much much smaller markups

    Its a bit like fish & chip shops and their packs - they always throw
    in potato fritters as they cost bugger all to make but have a big
    markup but they don't have the same markup on the fish.

    Logo, Jun 24, 2009

    <http://tech2.in.com/india/topstuff/home-theater-systems/home-theater-myths-part-one/56962/0>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 24, 2009
  19. In message <>, Woger wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:03:23 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>Woger wrote:
    >>>
    >>> But still a upscaling DVD player is far far cheaper $100 and gives near
    >>> Blu-ray quality

    >>No it doesnt, it gives a shoody image with excessive sharpness and in
    >>the case of one I looked at bad ringing on any edges when outputting
    >>1080. Infact it looked about as bad as turning the sharpness on my old
    >>crap tv up to maximum...

    > Totally untrue you must have Crap gear.

    A lot of people can't actually tell whether they're watching HD material or
    not.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 24, 2009
  20. On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:02:07 +1200, Woger <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:36:08 +1200, Nighthawk <> wrote:

    >>>No it doesnt, it gives a shoody image with excessive sharpness and in
    >>>the case of one I looked at bad ringing on any edges when outputting
    >>>1080. Infact it looked about as bad as turning the sharpness on my old
    >>>crap tv up to maximum...

    >>Perhaps you have a bad DVD player. DVD players are not all equal.
    >>Also, not all DVDs are equal either. Some are just awful, but some
    >>are sublime. Are you using HDMI? Upscaling DVD players only upscale
    >>through HDMI, otherwise the upscaling is done in the TV and some TVs
    >>are better than others at upscaling. BTW you don't need to buy an
    >>expensive brand-name HDMI cable to get good quality. HDMI is pure
    >>digital and is not subject to ghosting and interference. The Canadian
    >>Broadcasting Company tested a range of cables and found no difference
    >>in signal output:
    >>http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2008/02/20/packing_the_deal/ Get an
    >>HDMI 1.3b cable if upscaling to 1080p to be on the safe side.
    >>
    >>I have a full HD 42" Panasonic plasma TV and a Panasonic EH58 250GB
    >>HDD DVD recorder (made region free), connected via a Economy Gold HDMI
    >>Cable from http://www.rapalloav.co.nz/products.php?cat=27&sub=32 which
    >>cost me $25 plus freight at the time (I got two) but they are on
    >>special now. At a viewing distance of about 2.8m the following DVDs
    >>play with superb quality, making me wonder why anyone would need
    >>Blu-Ray :
    >>
    >>The Last of the Mohicans, The Flight of the Phoenix (not the remake),
    >>the Bill Murray movie The Man Who Knew Too Little, The Secret Garden,
    >>My Father the Hero, and many more.
    >>
    >>But these ones are abyssmal: Shout at the Devil, The Rise and Fall of
    >>the Roman Empire, Overboard, Zulu Dawn, early version of Zulu (which
    >>originally appeared at $10), the R4 version of Walkabout, and others.

    >I have very similar Panasonic equipments and the DVD look great, the last one
    >that I have been playing is the DVD of Wild China and the quantity is
    >fantastic..
    >
    >Some HS Recorder as you but a 37" Panasonic LCD with built in Freeview
    >

    >I have seen many many post on the net regarding that Upscaling is the way to
    >go, Blu-ray had very little improvements for the outlay of cash..
    >

    >Plus you can play you can play you current collection of DVD's in near
    >Blu-ray quality

    Upscaling can never increase the quality of the source DVD. It can
    only keep it near the same, or degrade it. That is fundamental
    physics - you can not add information to a signal by reprocessing it.
    But you can remove information if the processing is done badly. To
    see the difference between an upscaled DVD and a real Blu-Ray one, you
    actually need to have a Blu-Ray one to compare it with. Have you done
    that? If not, then you really can not say you have a clue about the
    difference.

    I do not have a Blu-Ray drive, but I do have FreeviewHD and the high
    quality 1080i programs on TV3 are really impressive at times. There
    is an incredible level of detail in the pictures that I love. I think
    that 1080p from a Blu-Ray disk would be even better, except that my
    current TV only does 1080i.

    There have always been good and bad quality DVDs. Good ones will
    likely look good also when upscaled (but not nearly as good as a true
    1080p version). Bad ones may be OK on an older TV but will not look
    so good when upscaled. There will likely be good and bad Blu-Ray
    disks as well.

    On HDMI cables: Any HDMI cable you buy should be able to transport the
    HDMI signal perfectly from one end to the other. If it does not, then
    it does not live up to its advertising claims of being an HDMI cable
    and should be replaced under the CGA. Digital signals either work, or
    they do not. There is not much middle ground! I would expect a more
    expensive cable to be a bit more robust, and hence last a bit longer.
    But any HDMI cable should do the job until it wears out. And there
    should be no discernable difference in picture quality between HDMI
    cables - if they transport the bits to the other end, the bits will be
    the same and produce the same picture. If they do not properly
    transport the bits to the other end, then the cable is faulty and
    needs replacing.

    Stephen Worthington, Jun 24, 2009