    As far as I can tell, it is a VOIP client for mobile phones. But is it
    yet another propretary system like Skype, MSN et al, or is it based on
    something standard like SIP ?
    Salvador Freemanson, Mar 5, 2007

  2. Salvador Freemanson

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 16:55:14 +0100, Salvador Freemanson
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I've just come accross Barablu. But their web site is full of PR hype
    >with no real tech info.
    >As far as I can tell, it is a VOIP client for mobile phones. But is it
    >yet another propretary system like Skype, MSN et al, or is it based on
    >something standard like SIP ?

    Afaik it is a Skype style service.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 5, 2007

  3. Brian A wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 16:55:14 +0100, Salvador Freemanson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >> I've just come accross Barablu. But their web site is full of PR hype
    >> with no real tech info.
    >> As far as I can tell, it is a VOIP client for mobile phones. But is it
    >> yet another propretary system like Skype, MSN et al, or is it based on
    >> something standard like SIP ?

    > Afaik it is a Skype style service.
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    So is it compatible with Skype. Or would I only be able to call other
    people with Barablu software (plus the Barablu equivalent of Skype Out)?
    Salvador Freemanson, Mar 5, 2007
  4. Salvador Freemanson

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 22:52:17 +0100, Salvador Freemanson
    <> wrote:

    >Brian A wrote:
    >> On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 16:55:14 +0100, Salvador Freemanson
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>> I've just come accross Barablu. But their web site is full of PR hype
    >>> with no real tech info.
    >>> As far as I can tell, it is a VOIP client for mobile phones. But is it
    >>> yet another propretary system like Skype, MSN et al, or is it based on
    >>> something standard like SIP ?

    >> Afaik it is a Skype style service.
    >> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    >So is it compatible with Skype. Or would I only be able to call other
    >people with Barablu software (plus the Barablu equivalent of Skype Out)?

    No. I didn't say it was compatible with Skype just that I THINK it is
    Skype style. Skype is a proprietary system of their own. I suspect
    that Barablu has their own incompatible system also but I am not sure
    about this. They only talk, on the site, about instant messaging Skype
    users.
    You can call standard phones, see here:
    http://www.barablu.com/sh_features/my_number_rates_us.asp
    However, unless you are compelled, by your connection, to use a PC to
    make your calls why would you want to do that?
    If you have a WiFi phone you can usually use that to connect to SIP,
    ask on here and uk.telecom.mobile for information on SIP
    compatibility of your phone. SIP gives you a choice of hundreds of
    providers who can offer you cheaper calls than Barablu.
    You can do all with SIP that you can do with Barablu. If you wish you
    can have a softphone for your computer or a SIP phone or ATA to
    operate on an internet connection WITHOUT any PC.
    IMHO iff you are starting up then you should go for SIP, don't tie
    yourself to one operator, you'll have much more choice and cheaper
    calls.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 6, 2007