    or 60 bucks for something like Norton or can I be in peace with AVG?

    Thanks.

    I'm asking cause I know a lot of you have recommended this program.
    Sseaott, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Sseaott

    lsj7 Guest

    Sseaott wrote:
    > Is this really a complete, virus program to stop all virus's or do I
    > need to worry it's not going to catch something? Do I need to go out
    > and spend 50 or 60 bucks for something like Norton or can I be in
    > peace with AVG?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > I'm asking cause I know a lot of you have recommended this program.

    You are asking for trouble if you put all your eggs in one basket. AVG is
    great, in my ipinion, but I woould advise to use some other on ine scanners
    as back up from time to time. One such good scanner is Housecall from
    TrendMicro. I also use ewido security and asquared as back ups. There are
    others.

    --

    Cherish, therefore, the spirit of our people, and keep alive their
    attention. .If once they become inattentive to the public affairs, you

    _________Jefferson to Carrington 1787

    lsj7
    lsj7, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Sseaott

    °Mike° Guest

    No, it most certainly is not. Whilst no antivirus is
    capable of catching every single virus ever invented,
    AVG falls far short of what you would call a "complete"
    antivirus solution. These are MUCH better, and very
    reasonably priced:

    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:59:13 -0400, in
    <>
    Sseaott scrawled:

    >Is this really a complete, virus program to stop all virus's or do I need to
    >worry it's not going to catch something? Do I need to go out and spend 50
    >or 60 bucks for something like Norton or can I be in peace with AVG?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >I'm asking cause I know a lot of you have recommended this program.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 30, 2004
  4. Sseaott

    Sseaott Guest

    Mike

    I thought you were one of the guys who recommended it a while back? Did you
    change your mind now? heh

    My friend has an extra copy of Norton Anti-Virus 2004 that he got from work
    (they were giving them away because they bought to many boxes for the
    office) and he said he would give me one of em but I thought someone told me
    here once that programs like Norton and McAffe bottle up your system or is
    this not true anymore?

    Sseaott, Jun 30, 2004
  5. Sseaott

    Keith Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:59:13 -0400, Sseaott wrote:

    > Is this really a complete, virus program to stop all virus's or do I need to
    > worry it's not going to catch something? Do I need to go out and spend 50
    > or 60 bucks for something like Norton or can I be in peace with AVG?

    Don't use IE, Outlook, Outlook Express or other Microsoft Internet
    software and you should be safe with AVG.

    --
    Best Regards, Keith http://kilowatt-radio.org/ NW Oregon Radio Page
    Tried of Virus, Spyware, Adware and Popups? Switch To Mozilla Web
    Keith, Jun 30, 2004
  6. Sseaott

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:35:34 -0400, in
    <>
    Sseaott scrawled:

    >Mike
    >
    >I thought you were one of the guys who recommended it a while
    >back? Did you change your mind now? heh

    If you research my posting history, you will see that I have
    advised against AVG for quite some time.

    >My friend has an extra copy of Norton Anti-Virus 2004 that he got
    >from work (they were giving them away because they bought to
    >many boxes for the office) and he said he would give me one of
    >em but I thought someone told me here once that programs like
    >Norton and McAffe bottle up your system or is this not true anymore?

    Yes, it IS true -- stay away from Norton or McAfee bloatware.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 30, 2004
  7. Sseaott

    Mellowed Guest

    I've been lurking around here for a couple years and I don't remember
    Mike ever recommending AVG. I use it myself, but I have been warned
    that it is not complete.

    "Sseaott" <> wrote in message
    : Mike
    :
    : "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    : news:40ed09af.34836750@localhost...
    : > No, it most certainly is not. Whilst no antivirus is
    : > capable of catching every single virus ever invented,
    : > AVG falls far short of what you would call a "complete"
    : > antivirus solution. These are MUCH better, and very
    : > reasonably priced:
    : >
    : > KAV (Kaspersky)
    : > http://www.kaspersky.com/
    : >
    : > eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)
    : > http://www.my-etrust.com/products/Antivirus.cfm
    : >
    : > Sophos
    : > http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/
    : >
    : >
    : > On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:59:13 -0400, in
    : > <>
    : > Sseaott scrawled:
    : >
    : > >Is this really a complete, virus program to stop all virus's or do
    I need
    : > >worry it's not going to catch something? Do I need to go out and
    spend
    : 50
    : > >or 60 bucks for something like Norton or can I be in peace with
    AVG?
    : > >
    : > >Thanks.
    : > >
    : > >I'm asking cause I know a lot of you have recommended this program.
    : > >
    : >
    : > --
    : > Basic computer maintenance
    : > http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    :
    :
    Mellowed, Jun 30, 2004
  8. Sseaott

    Sseaott Guest

    Hum I personally recall you advising me to use AVG, I remember you because
    you have the 'circle' on each side of your name that you go by on here.

    But whatever, it's all good.

    So what your saying is that there is no FREE, anti-virus software out there
    that can easily take the place of buying anti-virus software?

    Sseaott, Jun 30, 2004
  9. Sseaott

    Sseaott Guest

    oh yeah i forogt about that troll, lol, sorry mike:( So your saying e-trust
    is a complete virus program?

    Sseaott, Jun 30, 2004
  10. Sseaott

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, Jun 30, 2004
  11. Sseaott

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:22:06 -0400, in
    <>
    Sseaott scrawled:

    >Hum I personally recall you advising me to use AVG, I remember you because
    >you have the 'circle' on each side of your name that you go by on here.

    You are wrong.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=Sseaott AVG&as_ugroup=24hoursupport.helpdesk&as_uauthors=Mike
    Your search - Sseaott AVG
    group:24hoursupport.helpdesk author:Mike - did not match any documents

    >But whatever, it's all good.
    >
    >So what your saying is that there is no FREE, anti-virus software out there
    >that can easily take the place of buying anti-virus software?

    That's correct. The only free antivirus solution that was
    ever any good was InnoculateIT (now eZ Antivirus).

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 30, 2004
  12. Sseaott

    Boomer Guest

    "Mellowed" <> wrote:

    > I've been lurking around here for a couple years and I don't
    > remember
    > Mike ever recommending AVG. I use it myself, but I have been
    > warned that it is not complete.
    >
    > "Sseaott" <> wrote in message
    >: Mike
    >:
    >: I thought you were one of the guys who recommended it a while
    >: back?

    [big snip]

    You are correct. Mike has never recommended AVG.

    I use it but I use Mozilla too, practice safe hex... yada yada..
    Boomer, Jun 30, 2004
  13. Sseaott

    Boomer Guest

    "Sseaott" <> wrote:

    > oh yeah i forogt about that troll, lol, sorry mike:( So your
    > saying e-trust is a complete virus program?
    >
    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> "Sseaott" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hum I personally recall you advising me to use AVG, I
    >> > remember you because you have the 'circle' on each side of
    >> > your name that you go by on here.

    >> Could have been the troll. Read headers. :)
    >>
    >> > But whatever, it's all good.
    >> >
    >> > So what your saying is that there is no FREE, anti-virus
    >> > software out there that can easily take the place of buying
    >> > anti-virus software?

    >> e-Trust is free for 1 year. You'd have to search this group
    >> for the URL or hope someone has it handy.

    [big snip]

    Corporations use it. It is a 'complete' program.
    Boomer, Jun 30, 2004
  14. Sseaott

    Toolman Tim Guest

    > > > So what your saying is that there is no FREE, anti-virus
    > > > software out there that can easily take the place of buying
    > > > anti-virus software?

    > > e-Trust is free for 1 year. You'd have to search this group for the
    > > URL or hope someone has it handy.

    Here's their "one year free" link:
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jun 30, 2004
  15. Sseaott

    Boomer Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    >> > e-Trust is free for 1 year. You'd have to search this group
    >> > for the URL or hope someone has it handy.
    >> >

    > Here's their "one year free" link:
    > http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    Thank you! :)
    Boomer, Jun 30, 2004
  16. Sseaott

    Ron Martell Guest

    Ron Martell, Jun 30, 2004
  17. Sseaott

    Boomer Guest

    Ron Martell <> wrote:

    > Boomer <> wrote:
    >

    >>I use it but I use Mozilla too, practice safe hex... yada yada..

    > Mozilla is also vulnerable to spyware, especially CoolWebSearch
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=mozilla security pa
    > tch
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    I'm sure it is. Not much is 'safe' anymore! But I prefer a safer
    browser and one I don't have to patch up monthly. :)

    <Knock on wood.>
    I don't wander on the internet much. My roaming days are over.
    <wink> Usenet (non-binary) is what I prefer. :)

    Thanks, Ron.
    Boomer, Jun 30, 2004
  18. Sseaott wrote:

    > Is this really a complete, virus program to stop all virus's or do I need to
    > worry it's not going to catch something? Do I need to go out and spend 50
    > or 60 bucks for something like Norton or can I be in peace with AVG?

    If you want a doublecheck, you can also use the free version of F-Prot.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    New June 23:
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 30, 2004
  19. Sseaott

    DC Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Sseaott wrote:

    >> Is this really a complete, virus program to stop all virus's or do I need to
    >> worry it's not going to catch something? Do I need to go out and spend 50
    >> or 60 bucks for something like Norton or can I be in peace with AVG?

    > If you want a doublecheck, you can also use the free version of F-Prot.

    As long as there is no requirement to scan ntfs volumes. Only works on
    fat32, last I heard.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Free your mind, and your OS will follow...
    DC, Jun 30, 2004
  20. Sseaott

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Sseaott mused:

    | Is this really a complete, virus program to stop all virus's or do I need
    | to worry it's not going to catch something? Do I need to go out and
    | spend 50 or 60 bucks for something like Norton or can I be in peace with
    | AVG?

    Just to add a bit, I switched from Norton to AVG about a year ago, and
    am happy with the results. I use TrendMicro's online scanner from time to
    time as a backup, and my system has remained clean. Occasionally, I have
    downloaded known infected files (sometimes from friends who are running
    Norton or McAfee) and AVG has always detected them.

    Recently, there was a rash of concern from a group I am associated with
    that uses a program called Team Speak. Norton and McAfee suddenly started
    reporting its KeyPress.dll file as being infected with a trojan. AVG did
    not generate an alert with this file. According to the Team Speak site,
    this is a false positive generated by Norton, McAfee, and a few other
    mainstream AV scanners. While a false positive is better than missing a
    true positive, they can cause problems themselves. In this case, it appears
    AVG got it right where Norton and McAfee (and others) got it wrong.

    In short, you may get what you pay for, but you shouldn't rely on any
    one piece of software to protect you. User habits are far more important.
    mhicaoidh, Jun 30, 2004