    a trojan one time but that's been taken care of. Everything seemed to
    happen after installing AVAST. Does AVAST slow you down cause if it does
    I'm thinking of removing it. Thanks.

    Bud Light, Mar 13, 2005

  2. Bud Light

    kenny Guest

    How fast is your CPU and how much ram do you have?

    Kenny

    kenny, Mar 13, 2005

  3. Bud Light

    Bud Light Guest

    I have an AMD 1700+ and 512 ram. I'm also running AVG at the same time.

    Bud Light, Mar 13, 2005
  4. Bud Light

    Dave Lear Guest

    Dave Lear, Mar 13, 2005
  5. Bud Light

    kenny Guest

    remove AVG, avast is good by itself and your pc is fast enough to handle
    avast with no problem. Avast is the best free antivirus in my opinion.

    Kenny

    kenny, Mar 13, 2005
  6. Bud Light

    Bud Light Guest

    Really? I thought I was just being extra careful....OK....which one should
    I keep?

    "Dave Lear" <> wrote in message
    > "Bud Light" wrote in message news:p
    >
    > > I'm also running AVG at the same time.

    > You're running AVG and Avast at the same time and wondering why your PC is
    > slow? Running more than one anti-virus program concurrently is a bad

    idea...

    Bud Light, Mar 13, 2005
  7. Bud Light

    Bud Light Guest

    Avast it is....thanks.

    Bud Light, Mar 13, 2005
  8. Bud Light

    Vanguard Guest

    "Bud Light" <> wrote in message
    > Really? I thought I was just being extra careful....OK....which one
    > should
    > I keep?
    >

    > "Dave Lear" <> wrote in message
    >> "Bud Light" wrote in message news:p
    >>
    >> > I'm also running AVG at the same time.

    >> You're running AVG and Avast at the same time and wondering why your
    >> PC is
    >> slow? Running more than one anti-virus program concurrently is a bad

    > idea...
    >> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2000031316555206

    You have can both installed, but do NOT have both of their on-access (or
    real-time) scanners enabled. You are then having multiple file
    interceptors interrogating the data stream for your file. You can both
    installed and use their on-demand scanners to look for infections
    manually or with scheduled runs (but don't run them at the same time).

    Visit http://www.virusbulletin.com/vb100/archives/products.xml to see
    which AV product has historically passed muster. Avast passed 11 times
    out of 30 tests (37%). AVG passed 7 out of 27 tests (26%). This does
    not tell you how many viruses, trojans, spyware, or other malware gets
    caught by the latest version of each. It only tells you how the
    products did historically. http://www.av-comparatives.org/ lists how
    each product does for coverage within several test categories but they
    never include AVG. If you intend to keep only one, I would think you
    are in the best position to compare the two regarding their feature sets
    as to which is better for you.

    Avast will scan the ADS (alternate data stream) of files but only if you
    enable its option to scan archive (unpacking) is turned on. They treat
    the ADS as a special type of packed file. As I recall the reply from
    Grisoft, AVG does not scan the ADS. See
    http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs-multi­ple.htm on what is the ADS. Ad-Aware, in
    their new SE version, just started scanning the ADS. Spybot and MSAS do
    not scan the ADS.

    Vanguard, Mar 13, 2005
  9. Bud Light

    Bud Light Guest

    "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo_header> wrote in message
    > "Bud Light" <> wrote in message
    > > Really? I thought I was just being extra careful....OK....which one
    > > should
    > > I keep?
    > >

    > > "Dave Lear" <> wrote in message

    > >> You're running AVG and Avast at the same time and wondering why your
    > >> PC is
    > >> slow? Running more than one anti-virus program concurrently is a bad

    > > idea...
    > >> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2000031316555206

    > You have can both installed, but do NOT have both of their on-access (or
    > real-time) scanners enabled. You are then having multiple file
    > interceptors interrogating the data stream for your file. You can both
    > installed and use their on-demand scanners to look for infections
    > manually or with scheduled runs (but don't run them at the same time).
    >
    > Visit http://www.virusbulletin.com/vb100/archives/products.xml to see
    > which AV product has historically passed muster. Avast passed 11 times
    > out of 30 tests (37%). AVG passed 7 out of 27 tests (26%). This does
    > not tell you how many viruses, trojans, spyware, or other malware gets
    > caught by the latest version of each. It only tells you how the
    > products did historically. http://www.av-comparatives.org/ lists how
    > each product does for coverage within several test categories but they
    > never include AVG. If you intend to keep only one, I would think you
    > are in the best position to compare the two regarding their feature sets
    > as to which is better for you.
    >
    > Avast will scan the ADS (alternate data stream) of files but only if you
    > enable its option to scan archive (unpacking) is turned on. They treat
    > the ADS as a special type of packed file. As I recall the reply from
    > Grisoft, AVG does not scan the ADS. See
    > http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs-multi­ple.htm on what is the ADS. Ad-Aware, in
    > their new SE version, just started scanning the ADS. Spybot and MSAS do
    > not scan the ADS.

    Thanks for the response. I'll look into this further.

    Bud Light, Mar 13, 2005
  10. Bud Light

    dhwhite

    Joined: