    with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
    the program controls on the other?
    Thanks!
    Rich, Mar 25, 2007

  2. Rich

    Just D Guest

    "Rich"
    > If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
    > with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
    > the program controls on the other?

    I use it every day, but only with two monitors. There are a lot of different
    configurations now with more monitors like this:

    http://digitaltigers.com/zenview.shtml?gclid=CJHe-ZD7josCFRVkYAodDAxySw

    Actually you can google for it:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=triple monitor

    This one is interesting...)

    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripher...ps-good-enough-to-catch-terrorists-237892.php

    Just D.
    Just D, Mar 25, 2007

  3. Rich wrote:

    > If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
    > with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
    > the program controls on the other?
    > Thanks!

    Doesn't everyone use two monitors? As for photo editing, use the cheapest
    dual head video card you can find, as it's really not important to have the
    latest and greatest unless you are a gamer. Yes.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Mar 25, 2007
  4. Rich

    Eddie Guest

    After serious thinking Rich wrote :
    > If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
    > with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
    > the program controls on the other?
    > Thanks!

    I use two LCD displays. I used to have an ATI card but switched to a
    Nvidia card. I like the software much better on Nvidia for dual
    setups. I also get much fewer crashes.
    Eddie, Mar 25, 2007
  5. Rich

    Good Man Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in news:1174789831.318704.274100
    @l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

    > If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
    > with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
    > the program controls on the other?
    > Thanks!

    More importantly, what monitors are people here using for photo work... and
    is your photo work web based, print based, or both?
    Good Man, Mar 25, 2007
  6. Rich

    Mark² Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
    > with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
    > the program controls on the other?
    > Thanks!

    Ya. I use two (though one of my monitors died recently...).
    And yes...you can very easily set Photoshop up to keep tools on one monitor,
    and images on the other. If you're using Windows, you simply go to display
    properties (right click on the desktop) and select "extend desktop onto this
    monitor." (Windows XP).

    Then you just drag tool-bars over...or...you can drag only image over to
    another monitor, and keep all menus and toolbars on the other. Then save
    your desktop scheme in Photoshop...for easy selection later if you use the
    same set-up. You can save various desktop arrangements.

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Mar 25, 2007
  7. Rich

    Mark² Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    >> If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
    >> with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
    >> the program controls on the other?
    >> Thanks!

    > Ya. I use two (though one of my monitors died recently...).
    > And yes...you can very easily set Photoshop up to keep tools on one
    > monitor, and images on the other. If you're using Windows, you
    > simply go to display properties (right click on the desktop) and
    > select "extend desktop onto this monitor." (Windows XP).
    >
    > Then you just drag tool-bars over...or...you can drag only image over
    > to another monitor, and keep all menus and toolbars on the other. Then
    > save your desktop scheme in Photoshop...for easy selection later
    > if you use the same set-up. You can save various desktop
    > arrangements.

    I use ATI video cards, but others such as Nvidia and numerous others are
    fine...assuming they support two monitors. Many systems will support two
    separate video cards, such as PCI Express Cross-Fire cards by ATI.

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Mar 25, 2007
  8. Rich

    timeOday Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

    > Doesn't everyone use two monitors?

    I really don't see a need for two monitors any more. Many of my
    co-workers have switched over to the 30" Apple display. It has more
    pixels than a pair of 1600x1200 displays side by side. It verges on
    being *too* big, as I'd rather work with a stack of windows than show
    them all at once but have to swivel my head around to see different
    parts of the screen.
    timeOday, Mar 25, 2007
  9. Rich

    Mark² Guest

    timeOday wrote:
    > Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Doesn't everyone use two monitors?

    > I really don't see a need for two monitors any more. Many of my
    > co-workers have switched over to the 30" Apple display. It has more
    > pixels than a pair of 1600x1200 displays side by side. It verges on
    > being *too* big, as I'd rather work with a stack of windows than show
    > them all at once but have to swivel my head around to see different
    > parts of the screen.

    Soon I'll add a 24" screen that runs at 1920x1200. To me, this is just
    about right, as it will allow room for Photoshop toolbars and images, yet
    leave enough for a large image view.

    Ideally, I'd still like to find a very small LCD...perhaps 12" in portrait
    mode...just for tools. This would allow me to use the full screen for the
    photo, and use the tiny screen for tools, menus, etc.

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Mar 25, 2007
  10. Rich wrote:
    > If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
    > with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
    > the program controls on the other?
    > Thanks!

    I have a PC with an ATI Radeon X1300 PRO video card, which happily drives
    two monitors, as does my other PC with an ATI Radeon X300/X550 series
    card. I tend to use Paint Shop Pro for image editing, but leave the
    second monitor free for other programs.

    David
    David J Taylor, Mar 25, 2007
  11. Rich

    Bucky Guest

    On Mar 24, 9:58 pm, timeOday <> wrote:
    > I really don't see a need for two monitors any more. Many of my
    > co-workers have switched over to the 30" Apple display. It has more
    > pixels than a pair of 1600x1200 displays side by side.

    um... cost? a 30" lcd is about $1500! a pair of 1600x1200 would cost
    about $700.
    Bucky, Mar 25, 2007
  12. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Mar 25, 2:08 am, "David J Taylor" <-this-
    bit.nor-this-part.co.uk> wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    > > If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
    > > with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
    > > the program controls on the other?
    > > Thanks!

    > I have a PC with an ATI Radeon X1300 PRO video card, which happily drives
    > two monitors, as does my other PC with an ATI Radeon X300/X550 series
    > card. I tend to use Paint Shop Pro for image editing, but leave the
    > second monitor free for other programs.
    >
    > David

    I found myself more and more switching to full screen view in PSP
    because even with a 20" monitor, there isn't much desktop left once
    toolbars, thumbnails, etc, are factored in.
    Rich, Mar 25, 2007
  13. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Mar 24, 11:13 pm, Good Man <> wrote:
    > "Rich" <> wrote in news:1174789831.318704.274100
    > @l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
    > > with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
    > > the program controls on the other?
    > > Thanks!

    > More importantly, what monitors are people here using for photo work... and
    > is your photo work web based, print based, or both?

    Right now, a 19" CRT set at 1600x1200. But I've got a couple 17"
    monitors that would serve for the control side of things.
    I've hesitated to go LCD because of the look of some of them, but I
    haven't investigated them to any major extent.
    Anyone know why you don't see plasma computer monitors?
    Rich, Mar 25, 2007
  14. ? "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> ???a?e st? µ???µa
    > Rich wrote:
    >
    > > If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
    > > with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
    > > the program controls on the other?
    > > Thanks!

    > Doesn't everyone use two monitors? As for photo editing, use the cheapest
    > dual head video card you can find, as it's really not important to have

    the
    > latest and greatest unless you are a gamer. Yes.

    It's not important to have the latest and greatest even if you are a
    gamer.If you use msconfig to disable all trash...I play doom 3, quake 4,
    half life 2, world of warcraft in a celeron 2.4, 512 megs, geforce 4 mx 440
    64 MB, 17"crt ,QDI 848 p4, 80 GB Hitachi IDE...I also use it for editing
    DVDs,for autocad drawings, for managing all my digital photo stuff...To
    digitize analog sound...

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Mar 25, 2007
  15. Rich

    Roy G Guest

    "timeOday" <> wrote in message
    > Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Doesn't everyone use two monitors?

    > I really don't see a need for two monitors any more. Many of my
    > co-workers have switched over to the 30" Apple display. It has more
    > pixels than a pair of 1600x1200 displays side by side. It verges on being
    > *too* big, as I'd rather work with a stack of windows than show them all
    > at once but have to swivel my head around to see different parts of the
    > screen.

    Yes.

    But some of us would rather buy a new car.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Mar 25, 2007
  16. Rich

    Guest

    > If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
    > with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
    > the program controls on the other?
    > Thanks!

    Mine's an nVidea, but I don't play computer games, so it's really not
    that important. Photoshop doesn't put very much pressure on the video
    system, it's mostly CPU bound. More important is what monitors, and I
    can't recommend wide-screen enough.

    You would have to have Photoshop not maximized to do what you want,
    and drag its borders to cover both monitors.
    , Mar 26, 2007
  17. Rich

    Mark² Guest

    wrote:
    >> If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
    >> with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
    >> the program controls on the other?
    >> Thanks!

    > Mine's an nVidea, but I don't play computer games, so it's really not
    > that important. Photoshop doesn't put very much pressure on the video
    > system, it's mostly CPU bound. More important is what monitors, and I
    > can't recommend wide-screen enough.
    >
    > You would have to have Photoshop not maximized to do what you want,
    > and drag its borders to cover both monitors.

    Actually, it would be better to simply maximize Photoshop's main window on
    one monitor, and then drag the photo's window to the other monitor.
    Photoshop can be instructed to save this arrangement, meaning you won't have
    to keep dragging on subsequent sessions. You can also save any number of
    screen layouts from the Window menu in PS, and recall them at any time,
    should you want to use, for example, one of your monitors (or both) in
    portrait mode (rotate the monitor 90 degrees). This is a great option for
    working with portrait orientation images.

    Mark²

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Mar 26, 2007
  18. Rich

    John Turco Guest

    Rich wrote:

    > On Mar 24, 11:13 pm, Good Man <> wrote:
    > > "Rich" <> wrote in news:1174789831.318704.274100
    > > @l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:
    > >
    > > > If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
    > > > with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
    > > > the program controls on the other?
    > > > Thanks!

    > > More importantly, what monitors are people here using for photo work... and
    > > is your photo work web based, print based, or both?

    > Right now, a 19" CRT set at 1600x1200. But I've got a couple 17"
    > monitors that would serve for the control side of things.
    > I've hesitated to go LCD because of the look of some of them, but I
    > haven't investigated them to any major extent.
    > Anyone know why you don't see plasma computer monitors?

    Hello, Rich:

    Plasma sets are highly susceptible to screen burn-in, and hence,
    would be rather unsuitable for PC monitor uses.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Mar 27, 2007
  19. Rich

    Ron Hunter Guest

    John Turco wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    >> On Mar 24, 11:13 pm, Good Man <> wrote:
    >>> "Rich" <> wrote in news:1174789831.318704.274100
    >>> @l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

    >>> More importantly, what monitors are people here using for photo work... and
    >>> is your photo work web based, print based, or both?

    >> Right now, a 19" CRT set at 1600x1200. But I've got a couple 17"
    >> monitors that would serve for the control side of things.
    >> I've hesitated to go LCD because of the look of some of them, but I
    >> haven't investigated them to any major extent.
    >> Anyone know why you don't see plasma computer monitors?

    > Hello, Rich:
    >
    > Plasma sets are highly susceptible to screen burn-in, and hence,
    > would be rather unsuitable for PC monitor uses.
    >

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    ?? I seem to remember using a plasma monitor way back when. It was on
    all the time, and the only 'burn in' was some loss of brightness over
    several years, but the bright orange print was pretty hard on the eyes.
    Ron Hunter, Mar 27, 2007
  20. Rich

    John Turco Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > John Turco wrote:

    <edited, for brevity>

    > > Plasma sets are highly susceptible to screen burn-in, and hence,
    > > would be rather unsuitable for PC monitor uses.
    > >

    > > Cordially,
    > > John Turco <>

    > ?? I seem to remember using a plasma monitor way back when. It was on
    > all the time, and the only 'burn in' was some loss of brightness over
    > several years, but the bright orange print was pretty hard on the eyes.

    Hello, Ron:

    Did plasma monitors even exist, "way back when?" <g> In any event, I've
    always heard (and read) that plasma TV sets are prone to burn-in.

    No concern of mine, though, as I'm an incorrigible CRT man. ;-)

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Mar 29, 2007