Is anyone maintaining a list of x64 software?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jon Grieve, May 17, 2005.

  1. Jon Grieve

    Jon Grieve Guest

    I was thinking of contacting some companies to enquire about x64
    versions of their software. I'm thinking about the likes of WinZip,
    Acrobat Reader, Textpad and others that I use. I expect there are many
    people and many, many applications that could be added to the list.

    I wonder if anyone has thought about maintaining a list, where you could
    check to see if there's any knowledge on the app you're interested in.
    So, you could go check and find out, say, that WinZip *are* planning an
    x64 version, with a Beta starting "Q2 2005" and ship expected around Q3.
    This is just an example.

    I guess it would make sense to allow all parties to register some form
    of interest per-product. The idea is, the site maintainer could say to
    WinZip: "Look, 3000 people are interested, so there is a market for it.
    Also, you can contact these people and invite them to join your beta
    if required."

    Just thinking out loud...

    Jon
    Jon Grieve, May 17, 2005

  2. Jon Grieve

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    I just e-mailed Adobe to find out when they expect to have a 64 bit version
    of Adobe Reader.

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Torrey Lauer, May 17, 2005

  3. You can also check out Exteneded64's applications thread:
    http://www.extended64.com/forums/426/ShowPost.aspx#426
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 17, 2005
  4. Jon Grieve

    M. Murcek Guest

    This one has hardware and software compatibility tracking lists:

    http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/win64compatibility/win64hardlist.htm

    M. Murcek, May 17, 2005
  5. Jon Grieve

    Monster Guest

    A lot of things aren't ready for porting to 64bit just yet. The main 64bit
    compiler visual studio 2005 is still in beta, there is no virtual software
    that supports x64 guest hosts and ms seems to not have bothered to port
    everything, like the JET engine. I'll have a hard time asking people to
    install mssql server just to use my software.

    So, the porting has begun but there are still a few ways to go

    Monster, May 17, 2005
  6. Jon Grieve

    Jon Grieve Guest

    Good point. Although, I'm confused how Microsoft are able to ship a 64-bit
    OS without a 64-bit compiler that's non-beta..?? ;)

    Back to my original post... I got a response from WinZip... here's what it
    says:

    "We at WinZip Computing, Inc., occasionally receive this request.
    However, to date we have not received enough user requests to warrant
    adding this to the program. I will forward your vote for this feature
    to development."

    So, do bother to mail then and let them know, at help @ winzip d0t com,
    m'key

    Jon

    Jon Grieve, May 17, 2005
  7. "Jon Grieve" <me@jongrieve!net> wrote in message
    > Good point. Although, I'm confused how Microsoft are able to ship a
    > 64-bit OS without a 64-bit compiler that's non-beta..?? ;)
    >
    > Back to my original post... I got a response from WinZip... here's what
    > it says:
    >
    > "We at WinZip Computing, Inc., occasionally receive this request.
    > However, to date we have not received enough user requests to warrant
    > adding this to the program. I will forward your vote for this feature
    > to development."
    >
    > So, do bother to mail then and let them know, at help @ winzip d0t com,
    > m'key
    >
    > Jon

    Microsoft didn't use VS to build the OS, they use the Platform SDK and DDK
    compilers which are available since a couple of years now for 64 bit.

    Willy.
    Willy Denoyette [MVP], May 17, 2005
  8. Jon Grieve

    Soma11 Guest