Is aioe affecting Outlook Express 6 and the Internet?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by geopelia, Aug 3, 2006.

  1. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    This morning as soon as I tried aioe, everything went haywire. Even
    Google had the "page not available"

    I suspected xtra's broadband problem, but no, they said dialup wasn't
    affected.

    The helpful people at xtra checked my settings etc, everything normal,
    except there were 3,000 spam messages in a folder on xtramail, which
    they removed for me. I've changed the setting for that just now so they
    are deleted before they get here. (Where's their picture of the
    skeleton flasher now? They've changed it all again.)

    They thought PC-cillin might have been at fault. (Curses! Hubby didn't
    want another trip down to the computer shop.)
    But after an hour or so, everything worked again, until I tried the
    aioe newsgroups, whereupon the server kept disconnecting, not just for
    aioe, but for all the newsgroups.

    So here I am back on Google. Does anyone here know what aioe is doing?

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Aug 3, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. geopelia

    Keith Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote:
    >This morning as soon as I tried aioe, everything went haywire. Even
    >Google had the "page not available"


    ....snipp...

    >So here I am back on Google. Does anyone here know what aioe is doing?


    The thread four down in Google entitled "AIOE News Server - Connection
    problems over last few days?" might tell you something?
    Keith, Aug 3, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. geopelia

    Mike Dee Guest

    "Keith" <> wrote in
    news:44d16d8a$:

    > "geopelia" <> wrote:


    >>So here I am back on Google. Does anyone here know what aioe is
    >>doing?

    >
    > The thread four down in Google entitled "AIOE News Server -
    > Connection problems over last few days?" might tell you something?


    And I did recommend a more reliable free news server to geopelia a few
    weeks ago, too.
    y' kin lead a horse to water... ;-)

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Aug 3, 2006
    #3
  4. In article <Xns98148A733141Cemteedee@85.227.11.7>, Mike Dee <> wrote:
    >"Keith" <> wrote in
    >news:44d16d8a$:
    >> "geopelia" <> wrote:

    >
    >>>So here I am back on Google. Does anyone here know what aioe is
    >>>doing?

    >>
    >> The thread four down in Google entitled "AIOE News Server -
    >> Connection problems over last few days?" might tell you something?

    >
    >And I did recommend a more reliable free news server to geopelia a few
    >weeks ago, too.
    >y' kin lead a horse to water... ;-)


    Kin ya lead this horse too ... ? I did not see your suggestion. :)

    Thanks
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 3, 2006
    #4
  5. geopelia

    Mike Dee Guest

    z (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote in news:eas2st$52l$:

    >>And I did recommend a more reliable free news server to geopelia a
    >>few weeks ago, too.
    >>y' kin lead a horse to water... ;-)

    >
    > Kin ya lead this horse too ... ? I did not see your suggestion.
    > :)


    You can try to email Henry <> and ask if you can use
    his server - news.henrynet.se

    He has limits on his number of users, and a few weeks ago there was the
    opportunity to get in...

    Still, better to try than not to try :)

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Aug 3, 2006
    #5
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Mike Dee wrote:
    > z (Bruce Sinclair)
    > wrote in news:eas2st$52l$:
    >
    > >>And I did recommend a more reliable free news server to geopelia a
    > >>few weeks ago, too.
    > >>y' kin lead a horse to water... ;-)

    > >
    > > Kin ya lead this horse too ... ? I did not see your suggestion.
    > > :)

    >
    > You can try to email Henry <> and ask if you can use
    > his server - news.henrynet.se
    >
    > He has limits on his number of users, and a few weeks ago there was the
    > opportunity to get in...
    >
    > Still, better to try than not to try :)


    >
    > --
    > dee


    With the large number of people moving to aioe when xtra closed the
    newsgroups, I went along with that one. Until about ten days ago it was
    reasonably good, but since about July 28 the system seems to have
    collapsed.

    Now I wonder if it is aioe that is affecting other programs, and I'm
    staying away from aioe until somebody here says it is working again.

    I do appreciate the advice so many people posted, but I picked the
    wrong one, it seems. I wonder what everyone else with aioe intend to do
    now.

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Aug 3, 2006
    #6
  7. geopelia

    Mike Dee Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Now I wonder if it is aioe that is affecting other programs


    Aioe will be down because it is experiencing internal problems of
    some kind. Aioe cannot affect it's customers news readers. Aioe is
    simply broken right now and is not working.

    Usually when it goes down badly like this it lasts a few days and
    then gets up and running again, and most people are happy or
    complacement about the arrangement. It's a free service run by one
    person after all.

    Here's the newest post to aioe.news.helpdesk - I had to go to
    http://news.aioe.org/webnews.php?zz=x&tipo=thread.php&group=aioe.news.helpdesk
    to reach aioe

    > Subject: Posts making it to the outside world.
    > From: (mindseye)
    > Newsgroups: aioe.news.helpdesk
    > Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server
    > Date: Aug 03 2006 03:50:15
    >
    > Seems to be happening now, although not all posts are making it
    > here yet.


    Perhaps it won't be too long now before it's back.

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Aug 3, 2006
    #7
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Mike Dee wrote:
    > "geopelia" <> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    > > Now I wonder if it is aioe that is affecting other programs

    >
    > Aioe will be down because it is experiencing internal problems of
    > some kind. Aioe cannot affect it's customers news readers. Aioe is
    > simply broken right now and is not working.
    >
    > Usually when it goes down badly like this it lasts a few days and
    > then gets up and running again, and most people are happy or
    > complacement about the arrangement. It's a free service run by one
    > person after all.
    >
    > Here's the newest post to aioe.news.helpdesk - I had to go to
    > http://news.aioe.org/webnews.php?zz=x&tipo=thread.php&group=aioe.news.helpdesk
    > to reach aioe
    >
    > > Subject: Posts making it to the outside world.
    > > From: (mindseye)
    > > Newsgroups: aioe.news.helpdesk
    > > Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server
    > > Date: Aug 03 2006 03:50:15
    > >
    > > Seems to be happening now, although not all posts are making it
    > > here yet.

    >
    > Perhaps it won't be too long now before it's back.
    >
    > --
    > dee


    I tried that website and got something about "not a valid stream
    resource".
    Geopelia
    geopelia, Aug 4, 2006
    #8
  9. geopelia

    Mike Dee Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in
    news::

    >> Here's the newest post to aioe.news.helpdesk - I had to go to
    >> http://news.aioe.org/webnews.php?zz=x&tipo=thread.php&group=aioe.n
    >> ews.helpdesk to reach aioe

    [...]
    > I tried that website and got something about "not a valid stream
    > resource".
    > Geopelia


    Grrr... aioe's flakey dynamic web pages....

    Try http://news.aioe.org/index.php and click "Local groups" link on
    left side of page, take it from there see if you can find your way to
    aioe.news.helpdesk via the web links.

    Nope, I just did. It looks as though this way of getting to aioe.org is
    down too.

    Sorry geo, sigh.

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Aug 4, 2006
    #9
  10. geopelia

    Malcolm Guest

    Mike Dee wrote:

    > "geopelia" <> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    >>> Here's the newest post to aioe.news.helpdesk - I had to go to
    >>> http://news.aioe.org/webnews.php?zz=x&tipo=thread.php&group=aioe.n
    >>> ews.helpdesk to reach aioe

    > [...]
    >> I tried that website and got something about "not a valid stream
    >> resource".
    >> Geopelia

    >
    > Grrr... aioe's flakey dynamic web pages....
    >
    > Try http://news.aioe.org/index.php and click "Local groups" link on
    > left side of page, take it from there see if you can find your way
    > to aioe.news.helpdesk via the web links.
    >
    > Nope, I just did. It looks as though this way of getting to aioe.org
    > is down too.
    >
    > Sorry geo, sigh.
    >

    Hi
    Try the nntp2.aioe.org server running a bit better that the other

    http://news.aioe.org/cgi-bin/systat.pl

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿°
    SUSE 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.13-15.10-smp
    up 2 days 0:08, 4 users, load average: 0.08, 0.07, 0.09
    Malcolm, Aug 4, 2006
    #10
  11. geopelia

    Mike Dee Guest

    Malcolm <> wrote in news:HTyAg.35540
    $:

    > Hi
    > Try the nntp2.aioe.org server running a bit better that the other
    >
    > http://news.aioe.org/cgi-bin/systat.pl


    I tried nntp2.aioe.org earlier too, Malcolm. Although it loads, there
    don't seem to be posts in any NG made later than June 06 :-(

    I test posted via nntp2.aioe.org to a test NG. It seemed to post OK but
    where it went I cannot say. It certainly hasn't propagated, nor does it
    show up even at nntp2.aioe.org

    I get this when I launch into the server:
    200 paola.aioe.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.3 (20050407
    prerelease) ready (posting ok).

    Even though that message seems normal, nntp2.aioe.org really seems to
    be non-functioning at this point in time. Marginally better than
    nntp.aioe.org but not working all the same.

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Aug 4, 2006
    #11
  12. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    geopelia wrote:
    >
    > I suspected xtra's broadband problem, but no, they said dialup wasn't
    > affected.
    >

    And you believed them?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Aug 4, 2006
    #12
  13. geopelia

    Peter Guest

    geopelia wrote:
    > This morning as soon as I tried aioe, everything went haywire. Even
    > Google had the "page not available"
    > I suspected xtra's broadband problem, but no, they said dialup wasn't
    > affected.


    Seems there is trouble at aioe ...
    http://news.aioe.org/cgi-bin/systat.pl
    System status: system offline or really slow


    > The helpful people at xtra checked my settings etc,


    Sounds like the xtra folk were wide of the mark.
    Peter, Aug 4, 2006
    #13
  14. geopelia

    Crash Guest

    geopelia wrote:
    >[snip]
    > With the large number of people moving to aioe when xtra closed the
    > newsgroups, I went along with that one. Until about ten days ago it was
    > reasonably good, but since about July 28 the system seems to have
    > collapsed.
    >

    AIOE is a free service and as such you wonder why - after all its difficult to
    pay the bills with no income. I saw a suggestion once that AIOE was free
    because it was a site using test software. That sounds plausible to me.

    I am one of those Xtra customers you speak of. I used AIOE as an interim
    solution while investigating other ISP broadband offerings (including their
    commitment to nntp servers as part-and-parcel of what you pay for).

    > Now I wonder if it is aioe that is affecting other programs, and I'm
    > staying away from aioe until somebody here says it is working again.
    >

    It is very hard to understand how this could be true. You use Outlook Express
    to communicate with the AIOE site using the nntp protocol.

    > I do appreciate the advice so many people posted, but I picked the
    > wrong one, it seems. I wonder what everyone else with aioe intend to do
    > now.


    The solution is to move to an ISP that offers an nntp service. Orcon qualify
    very well in this respect but you would need to evaluate their dial-up plans
    against your needs.

    Crash.
    Crash, Aug 5, 2006
    #14
  15. geopelia

    Mike Dee Guest

    Crash <> wrote in
    news:44d42938$:

    > AIOE is a free service and as such you wonder why - after all its
    > difficult to pay the bills with no income. I saw a suggestion
    > once that AIOE was free because it was a site using test software.
    > That sounds plausible to me.


    It's using test software to limit spammers and flooders. But it's not
    free because of that. It's not 100% free either, the sysop is pefectly
    happy for any donations that can help fund his project/hobby.

    It's the height of summer in Italy, aioe does not have air conditioning
    (one of their past complaints/excuses when breaking down) Similar
    outages for aioe happened about this time last year.

    [...]
    >> Now I wonder if it is aioe that is affecting other programs, and
    >> I'm staying away from aioe until somebody here says it is working
    >> again.
    >>

    > It is very hard to understand how this could be true.


    Dammed near impossible, I would say.

    > The solution is to move to an ISP that offers an nntp service.
    > Orcon qualify very well in this respect but you would need to
    > evaluate their dial-up plans against your needs.


    Voting with one's feet is always the better option (he says, posting
    this reply via aioe.org) :-D

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Aug 5, 2006
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?S0c2R0ZR?=

    firewall/ICS service problems affecting wireless?

    =?Utf-8?B?S0c2R0ZR?=, Jan 25, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,830
  2. ccs
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    493
  3. Richard Lefebvre

    Changes to QoS for VoIP is affecting NFS

    Richard Lefebvre, Jan 14, 2005, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    669
    Richard Lefebvre
    Jan 14, 2005
  4. Christine Geary

    SoBig Virus affecting Windows ME

    Christine Geary, Aug 24, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    653
  5. Marc
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,610
    John Holmes
    Aug 22, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page