    Best,

    Jack Barrett
    http://windsurf_2.tripod.com
    Jack Barrett, Aug 22, 2003

  2. Jack Barrett

    Jack Barrett Guest

    Don't Do It? WHY Not?
    You don't give a reason not to!

    Jack Barrett
    http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

    Jack Barrett, Aug 22, 2003

  3. Jack Barrett

    Crazymiclo30 Guest

    I agree with ghost. There is a lot of learning to do and you start out
    really low in salary. Cleaning viruses off a computer and repairing all
    sorts of other problems are different things. Healthcare is the way to go
    right now.

    --
    crazymiclo
    A+, Network+, MCP

    Crazymiclo30, Aug 22, 2003
  4. Jack Barrett

    David Hough Guest

    Oh! You guys are just kids. I'm 59 and got my A+ last year. It is true
    , the boxes are selling at throw away prices. However, a PC may have
    software and files worth many thousands on it. In some cases the
    company that sold your business that $30k package five years ago is no
    longer. You could use a good tech.
    David Hough, Aug 22, 2003
  5. Jack Barrett

    Ghost Guest

    Tampa Bay area... New Port Richey, FL

    Ghost, Aug 23, 2003
  6. Jack Barrett

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, David Hough
    <> wrote:

    > Oh! You guys are just kids. I'm 59 and got my A+ last year. It is true
    > , the boxes are selling at throw away prices. However, a PC may have
    > software and files worth many thousands on it. In some cases the
    > company that sold your business that $30k package five years ago is no
    > longer. You could use a good tech.

    sounds good.. in theory...

    Most small businesses do not have a backup plan, and will not follow a
    backup plan laid out for them. In my area, most of the businesses refuse
    to comply with HIPPA or the Graham, Leach, Bliley acts. This is federal
    legislation (with sharp teeth) mandating certain computing practices for
    certain types of businesses- and few people will comply- despite the
    penalties. They refuse to believe their $60.00 linksys router will not
    protect them from the world!

    When their data is gone due to HDD failure or whatever, and they have no
    recent bakcups, they typically get pissed off- but not enough to offset
    future disaster by installing backup tapes or RAID systems, or even
    burning their data to CDs on a regular basis. And, they will *NOT* pay
    for data recovery (I do data recovery). I have had many businesses cry
    over all their lost data and how disastrous it is, but will not pay more
    than $50 for me to do a cursory look to see if I can recover the data. If
    the recovery is extensive or expensive, they will not do it.

    Larger businesses are learning from 9/11 and other disasters- OFFSITE
    STORAGE! They are keeping all their data in secured offsite server farms-
    if something happens to their PCs, no big deal, they replace them and
    download the data from the offsite locations.

    This was originally just the largest companies doing this- but as prices
    come down, more and more not-as-large businesses are doing this as well.
    Ghost, Aug 23, 2003
  7. Jack Barrett

    Steffi Guest

    I agree with Ghost's view.

    Steffi, Aug 23, 2003
  8. Jack Barrett

    Ghost Guest

    I have a customer right now- have been a steady customer for years...
    Doctor's office with 3 locations...

    I *FINALLY* have him convinced he needs to upgrade his systems- he still
    has 0486 boxes running Novell Netware3 in wo of his offices- with
    proprietary DOS based medical management software.

    He has no concept of HIPPA requirements, although he constantly tells me
    he knows all about it- and his office manager knows everything there is to
    know about HIPPA, computers, medicine, and every other subject under the
    sun.

    I gave them a real decent price on 8 new boxes for workstations. Well,
    his daughter's fiance is a wannabe computer genius (God, the world is
    *FULL* of computer geniuses) who insists he can get a better deal- using
    Dell Optima workstations. well, the Dell systems come top about $200 less
    than my systems- but my systems are very high quality boxes. PLus, the
    proprietary software requires US Robotics internal modems. Dell does not
    sell USR modems. So, after purchasing new modems, and installing them,
    those Dell boxes are no longer 200 less. Oh, and lets nor forget shipping
    charges. The actual difference bewteen my boxes and the modified Dell
    boxes comes to about $25-$50 each now. Then, thsoe Dell boxes still need
    about 100MB of DL each to get the OS up to date. Mine come fuilly
    updated.

    This idiot is going to go with the cheaper boxes. He is saving perhaps
    $200 for all 8 boxes as a package. But wait- this computer genius has to
    then install all the systems and migrate all the data. This doctor is
    going to spend thousands more before he is up and running- and he will
    STILL not be HIPPA compliant. Oh, and he intends on using one of the
    workstations as a server. This is going to be REAL good! He also sees no
    reason not to use a LinkSys BEFSR71 router to control internet access. He
    keeps telling me he wants the cheapest way to go. I keep telling him when
    the feds catch him he will be paying ten of thousands in fines!

    Ghost, Aug 25, 2003
  9. Wow,

    What if he is as knowledgeable as you, or more so? What if the roles were
    reversed? Would he still be an idiot? How much do you know about this
    person? Do you think he's an idiot simply because he isn't you and you
    aren't making the money? There are plenty of competent techs out there, it
    isn't THAT hard. :)

    It does suck though that you did the convincing and won't make the profit,
    necessarily.

    Clint Kennedy, BSCS, MCP

    Clint Kennedy, Aug 25, 2003
  10. Jack Barrett

    Ghost Guest

    Actually Clint, this guy *IS* an idiot... and he is going to cost is
    future father in law a ton of money.

    It seems like everybody that has ever installed a modem thinks they are a
    tech.

    This guy has been talking to the company that makes the proprietary
    medical software that will be installed. They have been telling me just
    what kind of an idiot he is. He knows nothing at all about PCs, or
    netowrks, or servers, or anything else.

    Probably he installed AOL once and it worked- so now he is a knowledgable tech!

    So, no, if someone is knowledgable, I do not dis his/her skillset.
    However, when he sells a package of goods to someone (whether that someone
    is my customer or not) and that package is not up to specifications, and
    he will not be able to even install that package of goods when it comes
    in, then he is a total freaking idiot.

    The fact that he is stealing my customer with that crap he is pushing
    makes me more angry. But then, on the other end, my customer will come
    back to me because this kid will not be able to complete the migration.
    Then I get to charge double- because I will have to undo everything this
    kid does, and then fix it all!

    Ghost, Aug 26, 2003
  11. Jack Barrett

    RussS Guest

    hahaha - at least he isn't marrying into your family ghost :))
    RussS, Aug 26, 2003
  12. Well then look at it this way, he'll probably set it up wrong and you'll
    make more money fixing his mistakes. :)

    Clint

    Clint Kennedy, Aug 26, 2003