    mechanical problems to the bearings in the long term?

    Thanks
    TJ
    TJ, Aug 22, 2006

  2. TJ

    FML Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > Advice please.
    >
    > It's too complicated to remove the old HDD and there's no room to
    > install the new drive horizontally without pulling everything to pieces
    > either. But it is easy to stand the new Maxtor drive on its side and
    > secure it on the base of the case.
    >
    > Will turning the HDD shaft from the normal vertical position to the
    > horizontal axis it will be on if the unit stands on its side, cause
    > mechanical problems to the bearings in the long term?
    >
    > Thanks
    > TJ

    Based on personal experience it isn't a problem. As a matter of fact, I
    have several USB External drives that are designed to be vertical.
    FML, Aug 22, 2006

  3. TJ

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 22 Aug 2006 12:20:19 -0700, "TJ" <> wrote:

    >Advice please.
    >
    >It's too complicated to remove the old HDD and there's no room to
    >install the new drive horizontally without pulling everything to pieces
    >either. But it is easy to stand the new Maxtor drive on its side and
    >secure it on the base of the case.
    >
    >Will turning the HDD shaft from the normal vertical position to the
    >horizontal axis it will be on if the unit stands on its side, cause
    >mechanical problems to the bearings in the long term?

    You run the risk of the data falling off.

    Yes, vertical is fine.
    Evan Platt, Aug 22, 2006
  4. TJ

    philo Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in message
    > Advice please.
    >
    > It's too complicated to remove the old HDD and there's no room to
    > install the new drive horizontally without pulling everything to pieces
    > either. But it is easy to stand the new Maxtor drive on its side and
    > secure it on the base of the case.
    >
    > Will turning the HDD shaft from the normal vertical position to the
    > horizontal axis it will be on if the unit stands on its side, cause
    > mechanical problems to the bearings in the long term?

    they will work in any positon with no problems
    philo, Aug 22, 2006
  5. TJ

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:57:00 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:

    >"TJ" <> wrote in message
    >> Advice please.
    >>
    >> It's too complicated to remove the old HDD and there's no room to
    >> install the new drive horizontally without pulling everything to pieces
    >> either. But it is easy to stand the new Maxtor drive on its side and
    >> secure it on the base of the case.
    >>
    >> Will turning the HDD shaft from the normal vertical position to the
    >> horizontal axis it will be on if the unit stands on its side, cause
    >> mechanical problems to the bearings in the long term?
    >>

    >they will work in any positon with no problems

    Never any problems? Wow, I think I will put my HD's in the any position.
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Aug 22, 2006
  6. TJ

    Martik Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in message
    > Advice please.
    >
    > It's too complicated to remove the old HDD and there's no room to
    > install the new drive horizontally without pulling everything to pieces
    > either. But it is easy to stand the new Maxtor drive on its side and
    > secure it on the base of the case.
    >
    > Will turning the HDD shaft from the normal vertical position to the
    > horizontal axis it will be on if the unit stands on its side, cause
    > mechanical problems to the bearings in the long term?
    >
    > Thanks
    > TJ

    I frequently have a HD or two hanging by the ide or power cable outside the
    case.
    Martik, Aug 22, 2006
  7. TJ

    TJ Guest

    > I frequently have a HD or two hanging by the ide or power cable outside the
    > case.

    THANKS, GUYS!

    I also set them up vertical side by side, master & slave, outside the
    case to mirror a back up drive copy with Maxblast 4.

    If anything, vertical drives should run cooler as the airflow is over a
    vertical hot surface and gets a convection current moving if there is
    no forced airflow in the case.

    Thanks again
    TJ
    TJ, Aug 22, 2006
  8. TJ

    philo Guest

    > >they will work in any positon with no problems
    > >

    > Never any problems? Wow, I think I will put my HD's in the any position.

    At least no problems concering the position of the drives :)
    philo, Aug 22, 2006
  9. TJ

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Martik wrote:
    > "TJ" <> wrote in message
    >> Advice please.
    >>
    >> It's too complicated to remove the old HDD and there's no room to
    >> install the new drive horizontally without pulling everything to
    >> pieces either. But it is easy to stand the new Maxtor drive on its
    >> side and secure it on the base of the case.
    >>
    >> Will turning the HDD shaft from the normal vertical position to the
    >> horizontal axis it will be on if the unit stands on its side, cause
    >> mechanical problems to the bearings in the long term?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> TJ
    >>

    > I frequently have a HD or two hanging by the ide or power cable
    > outside the case.

    LOL! I thought I was the only one who did that ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Aug 23, 2006
  10. TJ

    Plato Guest

    TJ wrote:

    > It's too complicated to remove the old HDD and there's no room to
    > install the new drive horizontally without pulling everything to pieces
    > either. But it is easy to stand the new Maxtor drive on its side and
    > secure it on the base of the case.
    >
    > Will turning the HDD shaft from the normal vertical position to the
    > horizontal axis it will be on if the unit stands on its side, cause
    > mechanical problems to the bearings in the long term?

    It doesn't matter what position the hard drive is in. It is designed to
    work on any axis.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 23, 2006
  11. TJ

    Plato Guest

    TJ wrote:

    > Advice please.
    >
    > It's too complicated to remove the old HDD and there's no room to
    > install the new drive horizontally without pulling everything to pieces
    > either. But it is easy to stand the new Maxtor drive on its side and
    > secure it on the base of the case.
    >
    > Will turning the HDD shaft from the normal vertical position to the
    > horizontal axis it will be on if the unit stands on its side, cause
    > mechanical problems to the bearings in the long term?

    No, no problem at all.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 23, 2006
  12. TJ

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>, TJ
    says...

    > > I frequently have a HD or two hanging by the ide or power cable outside the
    > > case.

    > THANKS, GUYS!
    >
    > I also set them up vertical side by side, master & slave, outside the
    > case to mirror a back up drive copy with Maxblast 4.
    >
    > If anything, vertical drives should run cooler as the airflow is over a
    > vertical hot surface and gets a convection current moving if there is
    > no forced airflow in the case.
    >
    > Thanks again
    > TJ

    I've seen quite a few desktops with factory installed HDs which are
    vertical to save space. It's not a problem

    FR
    Flying Rat, Aug 23, 2006
  13. TJ

    Martik Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Martik wrote:
    >> "TJ" <> wrote in message
    >>> Advice please.
    >>>
    >>> It's too complicated to remove the old HDD and there's no room to
    >>> install the new drive horizontally without pulling everything to
    >>> pieces either. But it is easy to stand the new Maxtor drive on its
    >>> side and secure it on the base of the case.
    >>>
    >>> Will turning the HDD shaft from the normal vertical position to the
    >>> horizontal axis it will be on if the unit stands on its side, cause
    >>> mechanical problems to the bearings in the long term?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> TJ
    >>>

    >> I frequently have a HD or two hanging by the ide or power cable
    >> outside the case.

    > LOL! I thought I was the only one who did that ;o)

    You don't qualify as a computer nerd unless you do!
    Martik, Aug 24, 2006