Is a surge suppresor w/ UL1449, 330V, and 905 Joules rating good enough to protect a 550W (Enermax E

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by noobie win2k, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. noobie win2k

    noobie win2k Guest

    I am concerned about my current surge suppresor's ability to protect a
    550W PSU (as well as the rest of the system). I have several
    questions.

    I read in MM's book that 800 Joules is the minimum amount of
    protection for a system. Is 800 Joules suffiecient for any system?
    No matter what the wattage?

    Is 905 joules an insufficient amount of protection for my 550W power
    supply? If so, why?

    Is there some kind of mathematical formula I can use to calculate a
    joule rating that will be sufficient for a 550W PSU? That is,
    assuming there is some sort of proportional relation between joule
    rating and PSU wattage. Such as a higher PSU wattage requires a
    higher joule rating.

    Is it worth the money to buy a UPS? I was thinking about buying one
    but a UPS with the proper amount of wattage (for my system) will cost
    around ~$150.

    noobie win2k, Jan 7, 2004