    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 14, 2005

  2. MarkH

    Stu Fleming Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all UBS
    > connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into with
    > VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

    There's an Open Source solution using VNC and SSH that doesn't require a
    static IP, and no ingress firewall changes.

    Stu Fleming, Oct 14, 2005

  3. "Stu Fleming" <> wrote in message
    > MarkH wrote:
    >> Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all
    >> UBS connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into
    >> with VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

    Yes. Orcon UBS get Static IP Addresses

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Oct 14, 2005
  4. MarkH

    Not Dave Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:20:02 +1300, Stu Fleming <>
    growled these words from under a rock:

    >MarkH wrote:
    >> Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all UBS
    >> connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into with
    >> VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

    >There's an Open Source solution using VNC and SSH that doesn't require a
    >static IP, and no ingress firewall changes.

    Um, feeling like sharing?

    Not Dave, Oct 14, 2005
  5. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    Stu Fleming <> wrote in news:434f6a2f$:

    > MarkH wrote:
    >> Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with
    >> all UBS connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote
    >> into with VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

    > There's an Open Source solution using VNC and SSH that doesn't require
    > a static IP, and no ingress firewall changes.

    So how does my PC find the other PC then?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 14, 2005
  6. MarkH

    Stu Fleming Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Stu Fleming <> wrote in news:434f6a2f$:
    >

    >>MarkH wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with
    >>>all UBS connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote
    >>>into with VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

    >>There's an Open Source solution using VNC and SSH that doesn't require
    >>a static IP, and no ingress firewall changes.

    > So how does my PC find the other PC then?

    Open a secure tunnel from the other PC to a relay server running SSHD,
    open a secure tunnel from your PC to the relay server, enable port
    forwarding in SSH. Relay server can be on your PC, so IP address is
    known. Only drawback is that the remote user has to open the tunnel
    from their end.

    It might not be exactly suitable for your situation, but we use that
    technique a lot for remote stuff to ADSL clients. E-mail me and I'll
    send you a link with the details.

    Stu Fleming, Oct 14, 2005
  7. MarkH

    Murray Symon Guest

    Dynamic DNS ... http://www.dydns.com

    Murray Symon, Oct 15, 2005
  8. MarkH

    steve Guest

    MarkH wrote:

    > Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all
    > UBS
    > connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into with
    > VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

    I have a static IP with Orcon via UBS.

    I asked for it and they assured me it was static.

    Maybe you're having firewall troubles at the other end?

    steve, Oct 15, 2005
  9. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    steve <> wrote in

    > MarkH wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all
    >> UBS
    >> connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into with
    >> VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

    > I have a static IP with Orcon via UBS.
    >
    > I asked for it and they assured me it was static.
    >
    > Maybe you're having firewall troubles at the other end?

    It turns out that there was a problem with the PC and it was not logged in.
    This is a friends PC that is located at another location, so it is not
    readily accessible by me or my friend.

    The IP number had definitely not changed and it is all working well now.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 15, 2005