Is a PC vulnerable if wireless is on but not connected to a networ

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?=, Oct 6, 2006.

  1. If a PC with wireless capability has the wireless feature enabled but it's
    "not" connected to any of the wireless networks it can find, is it vulnerable
    to hacking from other wireless PCs within range of it's wireless signal?

    BACKGROUND
    I'm brand new to both networking and wireless. Last week I set up our first
    home network--it's very simple at this point. I have three PCs on the
    network:

    1) A desktop connected via ethernet cable.
    2) A desktop connected via a wireless USB adapter.
    3) A laptop with built in Wifi capability.

    All hardware is WPA-PSK capable, so I enabled WPA-PSK security on my gateway
    (a 2Wire 2700HG, that's a DSL modem/router/firewall/switch/access point
    combo). It's my understanding that any wireless communication taking place
    between my two wireless PCs and my network will be encrypted. But what
    happens if the connection to my network is disabled on either of the wireless
    PCs? If someone elses PC (i.e. A PC that has not been set up on my network)
    is in range of the wirelss signal from the PC that was disconnected from my
    network, will they automatically be able to monitor/access/hack/etc. the PC
    that was disconnected from my network?

    The reason I ask, is my wife and son sometimes disable their connection to
    the network but don't turn off the wireless adapter on the laptop or desktop.
    --
    So much to learn... So little time.
    =?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?=, Oct 6, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?=

    LittleMoo Guest

    Like you said, the computers in question are disconnected from the network,
    therefore disconnected from the internet. Thus, we can conclude that if a
    computer isn't connected to the internet then it isn't susceptible to
    internet based security problems (i.e. "monitor/access/hack/etc."). And
    since you have WPA enabled then people in range of your wireless network
    won't be able to compromise your connection while you are connected to the
    network.

    As with any network though, it is good practice to run a firewall also as
    this will increase security. Windows Firewall isn't recomended if that's
    what you are using. ZoneAlarm is good and fairly easy to set up:
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp
    (just in case you aren't using a firewall, or if you are using Windows
    Firewall).

    -Dan

    LittleMoo, Oct 6, 2006

  3. Hi
    The Wireless communication is done through the Wireless source (Wireless
    Router, Access Point). In a system like yours the client computers are
    configured of infra structure mode and an other would not connect directly
    to another computer. I.e. No one should be able to connect directly to any
    of your computer, they need to go through the Wireless Router. In addition
    if the Wireless Network Stack is disabled it does not matter that the
    physical Radio is On Since the Radio can not connect to the Computer without
    the Network interface.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 6, 2006
  4. Dan and Jack--thanks much for the quick replies--they're very helpful.
    There's something I'm still wondering about though. While browsing the web
    yesterday, I ran across an illustration that showed three laptop PCs
    connecting to each other wirelessly without a router or an internet
    connection. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to relocate the web site, but
    it said two or three laptops with WiFi capability can communicate with each
    other directly--no need for an internet connection, router, or even a
    switch/access point. But it didn't detail how that's done.

    Can anyone explain how that's done (or point me to a web site that does),
    and tell me if there's a way to make sure my WiFi enabled laptop isn't
    available to another laptop that might be seeking it out? (Note: In this
    illustration they were using three laptops, but I would think it could apply
    equally to a WiFi enabled desktop.)

    Regarding a software based firewall, I currently have XP's firewall turned
    off and am using NAV's Internet Worm Protection on all three computers. As I
    understand it, NAV's IWP "is" in affect a firewall. Norton says you
    shouldn't use two firewalls and recommend turning XP's FW off and using NAV's
    IWP instead.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?=, Oct 6, 2006
  5. Hi
    This type of connection is called Ad-Hoc, it is done when there is No
    Wireless source (like a Wireless Router). Computer configured to Ad-Hoc can
    not connect to regular Wireless system (infrastructure) and Vice Versa). If
    all the system is Ad-Hoc and the security set On (Like WEP/WPA), a stranger
    computer would not be able to connect. In addition if the Wireless
    (software) Network connection is disabled, but the Wireless Radio left On,
    no Wireless connection would be possible regardless of any configuration.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 6, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?=

    LittleMoo Guest

    For the connection to occur like that there had to be some other hardware
    installed on the laptops, or it's possible that the diagram you saw was just
    illustrating how wifi enabled computers can "talk" to each other - but just
    didn't include the router in the picture. For example I have an HP laptop
    that utilizes wireless networking and there is no other way for me to
    directly connect to another compter that also has a wireless card. I can
    only connect to routers.

    As for NAV Internet Worm Protection:
    http://review.zdnet.com/Norton_AntiVirus_2005/4505-3681_16-30998882-4.html
    From this site it says that it's not a full-fledged firewall. If I were you
    I would get ZoneAlarm - that way you'll be sure to have FULL protection.
    Also stated in the article, it doesn't give outbound protection like a
    full-fledged firewall does - which you'll want.

    -Dan

    LittleMoo, Oct 6, 2006
  7. RE: Is a PC vulnerable if wireless is on but not connected to a ne

    Thanks again guys!

    Dan, I wish I could relocate the web site so I could provide the URL of the
    site that was giving the example of the direct PC to PC communication. The
    point they were making was that there is a way to do that without a network.
    I'll keep looking, but for whatever reason, I can't find it in my IE history
    and I haven't been able to relocate it with any searches.

    Jack, I'm guessing the web site was probably demonstrating the Ad-Hoc
    approach that you mentioned. I'll do a search on that.

    Again--thanks to both of you for your help!!!

    =?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?=, Oct 6, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?=

    LittleMoo Guest

    Re: Is a PC vulnerable if wireless is on but not connected to a ne

    I've never dealt with an Ad-Hoc network before, so that is new to me also.
    Live and learn.

    -Dan

    LittleMoo, Oct 6, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?=

    Lem Guest

    Roughneck wrote:
    > Thanks again guys!
    >
    > Dan, I wish I could relocate the web site so I could provide the URL of the
    > site that was giving the example of the direct PC to PC communication. The
    > point they were making was that there is a way to do that without a network.
    > I'll keep looking, but for whatever reason, I can't find it in my IE history
    > and I haven't been able to relocate it with any searches.
    >
    > Jack, I'm guessing the web site was probably demonstrating the Ad-Hoc
    > approach that you mentioned. I'll do a search on that.
    >
    > Again--thanks to both of you for your help!!!

    This
    (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx)
    is a good article on how to set up ad-hoc wifi in Win-XP. It's from
    April 2002, so it's a bit out of date (talks about 802.11(b) and is pre
    SP2), but the basic principles are the same.

    This
    (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx)
    describes how to share a single Internet connection among several
    wireless-enabled computers using ad-hoc connections, but I strongly
    suggest that you buy a router instead of using Internet Connection
    Sharing. Most home routers available today include both NAT and a
    hardware firewall.

    Also, IIRC, WinXP sp2 does not permit any encryption other than WEP for
    ad-hoc connections. That's another reason to get a router -- these
    days, WEP can rather easily be defeated.

    --
    Lem -- To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    MS-MVP
    Lem, Oct 6, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?=

    LittleMoo Guest

    Re: Is a PC vulnerable if wireless is on but not connected to a ne

    Thanks Lem.
    This will be useful if I'm ever in a pinch when my internet connection goes
    down.

    -Dan

    LittleMoo, Oct 6, 2006
  11. Re: Is a PC vulnerable if wireless is on but not connected to a ne

    Thanks for the links, Lem. I'll check them out. But as you suggested, we
    are using a router, firewall, and WPA-PSK, which is the best encryption
    available with our hardware. I guess it's not as good as WPA2, but hopefully
    none of our otherwise friendly names will turn out to be hackers cracking our
    WPA encryption.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?=, Oct 6, 2006
  12. Re: Is a PC vulnerable if wireless is on but not connected to a ne

    Ooops! Not sure how to edit a post. In my last one, I meant to say...
    "hopefully none of our otherwise friendly NEIGHBORS will turn out to be

    =?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?=, Oct 6, 2006
  13. Re: Is a PC vulnerable if wireless is on but not connected to a ne

    =?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?=, Oct 6, 2006
  14. Re: Is a PC vulnerable if wireless is on but not connected to a ne

    =?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?=, Oct 6, 2006