    these 110v psu's on 240v, could some expert here tell
    me if I'm correct or am I making a big mistake?

    Pickles
    Pickles, Jun 26, 2005

  2. On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:39:17 +1200, Pickles <>
    wrote in <news:HWlve.10283$>:

    > I had told a friend who had two 110v psu's that he could
    > use them either directly on 240v in NZ or with them both
    > connected in series to the 240v NZ mains. He stated
    > that they were good quality psu's and I believed 240v
    > shouldn't be a problem, but two connected in series to
    > the 240v mains would be less likely to blow the caps etc.
    >
    > Some other expert friend of my friend told him he'd need
    > to buy 240v psu's because the 110v ones won't handle
    > 240v. Before I take the bull by it's horns and try one of
    > these 110v psu's on 240v, could some expert here tell
    > me if I'm correct or am I making a big mistake?
    >
    > Pickles

    *DON'T DO IT!* Doing so would be stupid - Stupid - STUPID - *STUPID*
    You are risking your life and safety, and may possibly cause a fire. And
    that's just the start.

    --
    Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jun 26, 2005

  3. Pickles

    Daver Guest

    You can't use then in series as for a start you can't guarrantee they will
    be handling the same load. Any difference in load is going to result in one
    or other getting more than half. If they are 110v supplies then its also
    unlikely they will survive 230v unless stated. Unlike power supplies
    intended for the international market which may handle 230 down to 110 ones
    that originate in the US tend to be dedicated to 110.

    Daver, Jun 26, 2005
  4. Pickles

    Pickles Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:39:17 +1200, Pickles <>
    > wrote in <news:HWlve.10283$>:

    > *DON'T DO IT!* Doing so would be stupid - Stupid - STUPID - *STUPID*
    > You are risking your life and safety, and may possibly cause a fire. And
    > that's just the start.
    >
    > --
    > Nicolaas

    Why???? Please explain Nicolaas.
    Pickles
    Pickles, Jun 26, 2005
  5. Pickles

    Pickles Guest

    "Daver" <> wrote in message
    > You can't use then in series as for a start you can't guarrantee they
    > will
    > be handling the same load. Any difference in load is going to result in
    > one
    > or other getting more than half. If they are 110v supplies then its also
    > unlikely they will survive 230v unless stated. Unlike power supplies
    > intended for the international market which may handle 230 down to 110
    > ones
    > that originate in the US tend to be dedicated to 110.

    But there should be similar impedance into either psu if they are the same
    make/model and if the components such as capacitors are at least the
    specified rating, one on it's own, or both in series should work ok.
    Surely?

    Pickles
    Pickles, Jun 26, 2005
  6. Pickles

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:58:58 +1200, Pickles wrote:

    > "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:39:17 +1200, Pickles <>
    >> wrote in <news:HWlve.10283$>:

    >> *DON'T DO IT!* Doing so would be stupid - Stupid - STUPID - *STUPID*
    >> You are risking your life and safety, and may possibly cause a fire. And
    >> that's just the start.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Nicolaas

    > Why???? Please explain Nicolaas.
    > Pickles

    If the PSU has been designed specifically for 110V, then the components
    will have been selected with maximum ratings that give a safety margin
    according to the rated input.

    The designer will never have intended that input limit to be exceeded.
    If he did, then the PSU would be rated for 110/220/230V or for a maximum
    of 230V.

    Also, by ignoring the voltage limit, you may be invalidating your
    insurance.
    Murray Symon, Jun 26, 2005
  7. Pickles

    Pickles Guest

    "Murray Symon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:58:58 +1200, Pickles wrote:
    >

    >> "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:39:17 +1200, Pickles <>
    >>> wrote in <news:HWlve.10283$>:

    >>> *DON'T DO IT!* Doing so would be stupid - Stupid - STUPID - *STUPID*
    >>> You are risking your life and safety, and may possibly cause a fire.
    >>> And
    >>> that's just the start.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Nicolaas

    >> Why???? Please explain Nicolaas.
    >> Pickles

    > If the PSU has been designed specifically for 110V, then the components
    > will have been selected with maximum ratings that give a safety margin
    > according to the rated input.
    >
    > The designer will never have intended that input limit to be exceeded.
    > If he did, then the PSU would be rated for 110/220/230V or for a maximum
    > of 230V.
    >
    > Also, by ignoring the voltage limit, you may be invalidating your
    > insurance.

    Hello Murray, *smile*
    I doubt whether a blown 240v fuse on the household fuse board
    would have much impact on anyones insurance policy, and I'm sure
    most atx psu's these days are built using components that will handle
    well in excess of their rated voltage. (Unless the psu in question is of
    poor quality and low cost)

    Pickles

    Pickles, Jun 26, 2005
  8. Hi there,

    Pickles wrote:
    > I had told a friend who had two 110v psu's that he could
    > use them either directly on 240v in NZ or with them both
    > connected in series to the 240v NZ mains. He stated
    > that they were good quality psu's and I believed 240v
    > shouldn't be a problem, but two connected in series to
    > the 240v mains would be less likely to blow the caps etc.
    >
    > Some other expert friend of my friend told him he'd need
    > to buy 240v psu's because the 110v ones won't handle
    > 240v. Before I take the bull by it's horns and try one of
    > these 110v psu's on 240v, could some expert here tell
    > me if I'm correct or am I making a big mistake?

    Holy **** dude! Listen to your expert friend! The results
    of plugging a 110V PSU into 240V mains power would not only
    be spectacular, but dangerous! Unless the PSU has 110/240V
    switch on the back forget the idea!

    http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/220v.mpg

    Thats what happens when 110V appliances try to breathe in
    220V/240V mains power...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 26, 2005
  9. Pickles

    Pickles Guest

    "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Holy **** dude! Listen to your expert friend! The results
    > of plugging a 110V PSU into 240V mains power would not only
    > be spectacular, but dangerous! Unless the PSU has 110/240V
    > switch on the back forget the idea!
    >
    > http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/220v.mpg
    >
    > Thats what happens when 110V appliances try to breathe in
    > 220V/240V mains power...
    >
    > --
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    > Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
    > spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u
    >
    > Software patents are killing YOUR freedom, STOP THEM NOW!
    > http://swpat.ffii.org/ http://nosoftwarepatents.com/

    Chris buddy *smile*,
    I don't think the "appliance" in your mpg had a switchmode psu did it?
    Here's a circuit you might like to look at and then tell me what part of
    the input section, which is what we are discussing here, would behave
    in the manner shown in your mpg.
    http://www.pavouk.comp.cz/hw/en_atxps.html

    Pickles
    Pickles, Jun 26, 2005
  10. Pickles

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:15:23 +1200, Pickles wrote:

    > "Murray Symon" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:58:58 +1200, Pickles wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message

    >>> Why???? Please explain Nicolaas.
    >>> Pickles

    >> If the PSU has been designed specifically for 110V, then the components
    >> will have been selected with maximum ratings that give a safety margin
    >> according to the rated input.
    >>
    >> The designer will never have intended that input limit to be exceeded.
    >> If he did, then the PSU would be rated for 110/220/230V or for a maximum
    >> of 230V.
    >>
    >> Also, by ignoring the voltage limit, you may be invalidating your
    >> insurance.
    >>

    > Hello Murray, *smile*
    > I doubt whether a blown 240v fuse on the household fuse board
    > would have much impact on anyones insurance policy, and I'm sure
    > most atx psu's these days are built using components that will handle
    > well in excess of their rated voltage. (Unless the psu in question is of
    > poor quality and low cost)
    >
    > Pickles

    No, they're built to minimise cost - so the cheapest, lowest-spec parts
    that will meet the design specificiations will be used.
    Also, you cannot consider all PSU's as being designed and/or built the
    same. What you may get away with for one model may cause another to
    fail catastrophically.

    As Nicolaas has pointed out, you shouldn't be considering such things.

    That is, unless you are a qualified engineer with experience in such
    circuits - but then you wouldn't have had to ask the question in the
    first place, would you?
    Murray Symon, Jun 26, 2005
  11. Pickles

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:33:04 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Pickles wrote:
    >> I had told a friend who had two 110v psu's that he could
    >> use them either directly on 240v in NZ or with them both
    >> connected in series to the 240v NZ mains. He stated
    >> that they were good quality psu's and I believed 240v
    >> shouldn't be a problem, but two connected in series to
    >> the 240v mains would be less likely to blow the caps etc.
    >>
    >> Some other expert friend of my friend told him he'd need
    >> to buy 240v psu's because the 110v ones won't handle
    >> 240v. Before I take the bull by it's horns and try one of
    >> these 110v psu's on 240v, could some expert here tell
    >> me if I'm correct or am I making a big mistake?

    >Holy **** dude! Listen to your expert friend! The results
    >of plugging a 110V PSU into 240V mains power would not only
    >be spectacular, but dangerous! Unless the PSU has 110/240V
    >switch on the back forget the idea!
    >
    >http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/220v.mpg
    >
    >Thats what happens when 110V appliances try to breathe in
    >220V/240V mains power...

    How come it keeps sparking after the plug is removed?
    Bret, Jun 26, 2005
  12. Pickles

    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:15:23 +1200, Pickles wrote:
    >

    >> "Murray Symon" <> wrote in message

    >>> If the PSU has been designed specifically for 110V, then the components
    >>> will have been selected with maximum ratings that give a safety margin
    >>> according to the rated input.
    >>>
    >>> The designer will never have intended that input limit to be exceeded.
    >>> If he did, then the PSU would be rated for 110/220/230V or for a maximum
    >>> of 230V.
    >>>
    >>> Also, by ignoring the voltage limit, you may be invalidating your
    >>> insurance.
    >>>

    >> Hello Murray, *smile*
    >> I doubt whether a blown 240v fuse on the household fuse board
    >> would have much impact on anyones insurance policy, and I'm sure
    >> most atx psu's these days are built using components that will handle
    >> well in excess of their rated voltage. (Unless the psu in question is of
    >> poor quality and low cost)
    >>
    >> Pickles
    >>>

    > No, they're built to minimise cost - so the cheapest, lowest-spec parts
    > that will meet the design specificiations will be used.
    > Also, you cannot consider all PSU's as being designed and/or built the
    > same. What you may get away with for one model may cause another to
    > fail catastrophically.
    >
    > As Nicolaas has pointed out, you shouldn't be considering such things.
    >
    > That is, unless you are a qualified engineer with experience in such
    > circuits - but then you wouldn't have had to ask the question in the
    > first place, would you?

    *smile*
    You are onto my game Murray.....heh
    But it's good fun to get the reactions of certain know it all fools
    on a cold Sunday morning.

    Pickles
    Pickles, Jun 26, 2005
  13. Pickles

    Pickles Guest

    "Bret" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:33:04 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    > <> wrote:

    > How come it keeps sparking after the plug is removed?

    Good question Bret.
    What's the answer Chris? heh heh

    Pickles
    Pickles, Jun 26, 2005
  14. On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:09:06 +1200, Pickles <>
    wrote in <news:Dmmve.10289$>:

    > "Daver" <> wrote in message
    >> You can't use then in series as for a start you can't guarrantee they
    >> will
    >> be handling the same load. Any difference in load is going to result in
    >> one
    >> or other getting more than half. If they are 110v supplies then its also
    >> unlikely they will survive 230v unless stated. Unlike power supplies
    >> intended for the international market which may handle 230 down to 110
    >> ones
    >> that originate in the US tend to be dedicated to 110.

    > But there should be similar impedance into either psu if they are the same
    > make/model and if the components such as capacitors are at least the
    > specified rating, one on it's own, or both in series should work ok.
    > Surely?
    >
    > Pickles

    No. And I'm getting the impression you are simply trolling.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    .... One often gets much more than one asks for - not all of it necessarily
    good.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jun 26, 2005
  15. On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:58:58 +1200, Pickles <>
    wrote in <news:8dmve.10287$>:

    > "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:39:17 +1200, Pickles <>
    >> wrote in <news:HWlve.10283$>:

    >> *DON'T DO IT!* Doing so would be stupid - Stupid - STUPID - *STUPID*
    >> You are risking your life and safety, and may possibly cause a fire. And
    >> that's just the start.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Nicolaas

    > Why???? Please explain Nicolaas.
    > Pickles

    Keeping it simple, for the same sorts of reasons that you wouldn't plug
    your car's 12-volt stereo straight into a bloody great 24-volt Kenworth
    truck. Simply isn't designed to withstand the extra voltage.
    I'll leave others to fill you in with more detailed information once they
    are satisfied you aren't just trolling. I'm not.

    --
    Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jun 26, 2005
  16. TROLL: DO NOT FEED Re: Is A 110v PSU Ok On 240v

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:48:49 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins <>
    wrote in <news:zlojdozmxqtm$>:

    >> Some other expert friend of my friend told him he'd need
    >> to buy 240v psu's because the 110v ones won't handle
    >> 240v. Before I take the bull by it's horns and try one of
    >> these 110v psu's on 240v, could some expert here tell
    >> me if I'm correct or am I making a big mistake?
    >>
    >> Pickles

    > *DON'T DO IT!* Doing so would be stupid - Stupid - STUPID - *STUPID*
    > You are risking your life and safety, and may possibly cause a fire. And
    > that's just the start.

    At the risk of being accused of talking to myself:

    *DON'T FEED THE TROLL*

    --
    Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jun 26, 2005
  17. Pickles

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Pickles wrote:
    >> I had told a friend who had two 110v psu's that he could
    >> use them either directly on 240v in NZ or with them both
    >> connected in series to the 240v NZ mains. He stated
    >> that they were good quality psu's and I believed 240v
    >> shouldn't be a problem, but two connected in series to
    >> the 240v mains would be less likely to blow the caps etc.
    >>
    >> Some other expert friend of my friend told him he'd need
    >> to buy 240v psu's because the 110v ones won't handle
    >> 240v. Before I take the bull by it's horns and try one of
    >> these 110v psu's on 240v, could some expert here tell
    >> me if I'm correct or am I making a big mistake?

    > Holy **** dude! Listen to your expert friend! The results
    > of plugging a 110V PSU into 240V mains power would not only
    > be spectacular, but dangerous! Unless the PSU has 110/240V
    > switch on the back forget the idea!
    >
    > http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/220v.mpg
    >
    > Thats what happens when 110V appliances try to breathe in
    > 220V/240V mains power...

    Now why did you have to show him that? You are interfering with evolution
    you know. That's like fucking with God.

    Pickles, "take the bull by it's horns" man!!! Not many people die at the
    running of the bulls, you and your family, if you have one, *may* be Ok. If
    not? **** it. Intelligent people could be using the resources that you are
    using. Do the planet a favour, go with your instincts. Don't listen to
    experts, ask strangers on usenet who may or may not know what they're
    talking about.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jun 26, 2005
  18. Pickles

    Pickles Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Pickles, "take the bull by it's horns" man!!! Not many people die at the
    > running of the bulls, you and your family, if you have one, *may* be Ok.
    > If
    > not? **** it. Intelligent people could be using the resources that you are
    > using. Do the planet a favour, go with your instincts. Don't listen to
    > experts, ask strangers on usenet who may or may not know what they're
    > talking about.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Poor poor misfit. The screen name sums you up.
    Nothing to add to this thread but keen to take part.
    For a fellow on a benefit, with a crook back, driving
    an old car, with a WELDED seat. Do the country a
    favour, get a job lad.
    Pickles, Jun 26, 2005
  19. Pickles

    > No. And I'm getting the impression you are simply trolling.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Nicolaas

    I have the impression you simply don't know what you are
    talking about laddy.

    Pickles
    Pickles, Jun 26, 2005
  20. Pickles

    BTMO Guest

    "Pickles" <> wrote

    >I had told a friend who had two 110v psu's that he could
    > use them either directly on 240v in NZ or with them both
    > connected in series to the 240v NZ mains. He stated
    > that they were good quality psu's and I believed 240v
    > shouldn't be a problem, but two connected in series to
    > the 240v mains would be less likely to blow the caps etc.
    >
    > Some other expert friend of my friend told him he'd need
    > to buy 240v psu's because the 110v ones won't handle
    > 240v. Before I take the bull by it's horns and try one of
    > these 110v psu's on 240v, could some expert here tell
    > me if I'm correct or am I making a big mistake?

    The most likely thing that will happen is that you will simply burn out the
    primary of the transformer in the power supply, and nothing will happen
    after that. They will simply stop working.

    You *shouldn't* get a fire, and I would be surprised if you blow the house
    fuses (yes, I have read through the thread).

    However, it is a *really* bad idea to try this, because as others have
    pointed out, consumer electronics are made to a price, not a standard. What
    you have in your hands are the two cheapest power supplies (regardless of
    what they cost) that could be made to meet the need they were designed for.
    They *might* catch fire - they will certainly get hot - however, if the
    windings in the transformer get hot enough quickly enough, the wire will
    simply burn through. End of problems.

    If they don't get hot enough quickly enough, the plastic surrounding the
    wire may indeed get hot enough to burn - then you have a problem.
    Potentially a very dangerous one.

    Don't do it.

    Spend the 20 bucks or whatever these things cost now from DSE to get a power
    supply that runs on 240.
    BTMO, Jun 26, 2005