Is 911 phone service really necessary?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Shashay Doofray, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. > BTW, I've only used 911 once. My car broke down on the highway and I
    called
    > 911 on my cell phone for a tow. They never showed up.
    >
    > GP

    In 1998 I was working in Indianapolis, Indiana when a man had an obvious
    heart attack in the elevator. Being the closest office to the elevator the
    man's son came in and asked us to call 911 and then returned to his father's
    side. The 911 operator was very rude to me when I was unable to answer
    questions regarding the man. She asked me things like "how old is the man",
    "what makes you think he is having a heart attack?" etc., Finally, she told
    me to go get the son who could answer her questions so I RAN as fast as I
    could to the elevator and when I returned to the phone, she had hung up on
    me.

    I have NEVER had a good experience with 911 and would call them as an
    absolute last resort for an ambulance. Calling them for the police is a
    joke. If I could "unsubscribe" to 911 service, I sure as hell would.

    SD

    Shashay Doofray, Feb 1, 2004

  2. > The evolution thang, ya know. Can't fight it forever. When
    > civilization fianlly collapses, the pent-up supply of dumb people will be
    > causing accidents all over the place.
    >
    > GP

    They already are, GP. They already are.

    SD

    Shashay Doofray, Feb 1, 2004

  3. I'm thinking of switching to VOIP for phone service but it doesn't offer 911
    emergency calling. This got me thinking about the origins of this expensive
    service.

    It used to be you'd have fire, police and ambulance numbers by your phone or
    programmed into your speed dial. No problemo. You call a number and tell the
    person on the other end what had happened and give them your address.

    But in our degenerating society, you can't count on people actually knowing
    their own addresses, being able to read a phone book or speaking coherent
    English. BTW, the 911 personnel on the other end (usually black women) often
    can't either.

    Thus, as usual, we adapt society to its lowest elements and we are all
    forced, literally, to pay the bill.

    Godzilla Pimp, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Godzilla Pimp wrote:

    > I'm thinking of switching to VOIP for phone service but it doesn't offer 911
    > emergency calling. This got me thinking about the origins of this expensive
    > service.
    >
    > It used to be you'd have fire, police and ambulance numbers by your phone or
    > programmed into your speed dial. No problemo. You call a number and tell the
    > person on the other end what had happened and give them your address.
    >
    > But in our degenerating society, you can't count on people actually knowing
    > their own addresses, being able to read a phone book or speaking coherent
    > English. BTW, the 911 personnel on the other end (usually black women) often
    > can't either.
    >
    > Thus, as usual, we adapt society to its lowest elements and we are all
    > forced, literally, to pay the bill.
    >
    > BTW, I've only used 911 once. My car broke down on the highway and I called
    > 911 on my cell phone for a tow. They never showed up.
    >
    > GP

    Speaking of low intelligence, 911 is not intended for towing your car.
    Why didn't you call the regular 7 digit number? Oh, you were away from home.
    End of argument.

    --
    To reply via e-mail please delete one c from paccbell

    George Grapman, Feb 1, 2004
  5. Godzilla Pimp wrote:

    > I'm thinking of switching to VOIP for phone service but it doesn't offer 911
    > emergency calling. This got me thinking about the origins of this expensive
    > service.
    >
    > It used to be you'd have fire, police and ambulance numbers by your phone or
    > programmed into your speed dial. No problemo. You call a number and tell the
    > person on the other end what had happened and give them your address.
    >
    > But in our degenerating society, you can't count on people actually knowing
    > their own addresses, being able to read a phone book or speaking coherent
    > English. BTW, the 911 personnel on the other end (usually black women) often
    > can't either.

    How about a child reporting an emergency?

    --
    To reply via e-mail please delete one c from paccbell

    George Grapman, Feb 1, 2004
  6. "George Grapman" <> wrote in message

    > Godzilla Pimp wrote:
    >
    > > I'm thinking of switching to VOIP for phone service but it doesn't offer

    911
    > > emergency calling. This got me thinking about the origins of this

    expensive
    > > service.
    > >
    > > It used to be you'd have fire, police and ambulance numbers by your

    phone or
    > > programmed into your speed dial. No problemo. You call a number and tell

    the
    > > person on the other end what had happened and give them your address.
    > >
    > > But in our degenerating society, you can't count on people actually

    knowing
    > > their own addresses, being able to read a phone book or speaking

    coherent
    > > English. BTW, the 911 personnel on the other end (usually black women)

    often
    > > can't either.

    > How about a child reporting an emergency?

    Frankly, I think it might be better if their trailer or housing project
    burned down. The evolution thang, ya know. Can't fight it forever. When

    Godzilla Pimp, Feb 1, 2004
  7. Shashay Doofray

    ben Guest

    George Grapman wrote:

    > Godzilla Pimp wrote:
    >

    >>I'm thinking of switching to VOIP for phone service but it doesn't offer 911
    >>emergency calling. This got me thinking about the origins of this expensive
    >>service.
    >>
    >>It used to be you'd have fire, police and ambulance numbers by your phone or
    >>programmed into your speed dial. No problemo. You call a number and tell the
    >>person on the other end what had happened and give them your address.
    >>

    > How about a child reporting an emergency?

    So if a person had clear preprogrammed and labeled buttons on their
    phone for "fire", "police" etc. that they could teach to a child then it
    wouldn't be necessary to have 911?

    regards,
    Ben

    --
    "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"

    Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite (http://www.onesuite.com).
    2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No monthly or
    connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643 for 20 free minutes.

    ben, Feb 1, 2004
  8. Shashay Doofray

    lgreene Guest

    why are you all feeding the troll?

    lgreene, Feb 1, 2004
  9. Shashay Doofray

    Slinky Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 19:16:03 GMT, "Godzilla Pimp" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm thinking of switching to VOIP for phone service but it doesn't offer 911
    >emergency calling. This got me thinking about the origins of this expensive
    >service.

    We keep the landline so that if, all the heathen gods forbid,
    something happens to either my husband or myself and we're home alone
    with the kiddo, he can dial 911 and not be required to recite his
    address during an emergency. Of course I don't expect this to happen,
    but we've drilled our son on doing this (using a dead phone), as well
    as on other emergency prodedures such as what to do if there's a fire
    in the house.

    Slinky, Feb 1, 2004
  10. "Godzilla Pimp" <> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking of switching to VOIP for phone service but it doesn't offer

    911
    > emergency calling. This got me thinking about the origins of this

    expensive
    > service.
    >
    > It used to be you'd have fire, police and ambulance numbers by your phone

    or
    > programmed into your speed dial. No problemo. You call a number and tell

    the
    > person on the other end what had happened and give them your address.

    Years ago one could dial "0" and tell the operator what you needed, in fact
    I once reported our barn on fire in just this manner. Today, however, the
    phone companies have cut back the use of live operators to the point that
    something else was needed. 911 seems to answer the need.

    David Hartung, Feb 1, 2004
  11. Godzilla Pimp wrote:

    > Frankly, I think it might be better if their trailer or housing project
    > burned down. The evolution thang, ya know. Can't fight it forever. When
    > civilization fianlly collapses, the pent-up supply of dumb people will be
    > causing accidents all over the place.

    This from someone who thinks a car breaking down is a 9/11 emergency,

    --
    To reply via e-mail please delete one c from paccbell

    George Grapman, Feb 1, 2004
  12. Shashay Doofray

    Mogie Guest

    911 is for emergencies only and not trivial things like calling for a tow
    truck. Those types of calls are one reason 911 costs as much as it does.

    Mogie, Feb 1, 2004
  13. GP

    Respons in comp.dcom.voice-over-ip only

    Professionally I do software for handling 112 calls in Denmark (like
    911).
    Our software uses as much information as it can get right from the call
    itself.
    Correct A-number handling is important. Large companies, with multiple
    addresses, are expected to be calling 112 from a fixed (pstn) line on
    each site, otherwise a call could be send to the wrong site/branch
    office.

    Information stands with intercoms in public places (train stations...)
    but looking like phones, are requested to have 112 capability.
    I would personally like to be sure I could diall 112 on any phone
    looking like a phone, no matter if it is a home, ISDN, pots, VoIP or a
    company phone.

    Read more about the European effords on
    http://www.eena.org/pages-en/index_en.htm

    And BTW, car troubles are also handled by 112 calls in Denmark.
    That is some, not all. If your or others safety are in danger like on
    bridges etc, you use 112.

    --
    Christen Fihl
    http://www.innovative.dk/

    Christen Fihl, Feb 1, 2004
  14. "George Grapman" <> wrote in message

    > Godzilla Pimp wrote:
    >
    > > Frankly, I think it might be better if their trailer or housing project
    > > burned down. The evolution thang, ya know. Can't fight it forever. When
    > > civilization fianlly collapses, the pent-up supply of dumb people will

    be
    > > causing accidents all over the place.
    > >

    > This from someone who thinks a car breaking down is a 9/11 emergency,

    ad hominem...i win

    Godzilla Pimp, Feb 1, 2004
  15. In article <AKfTb.5935$>, Godzilla Pimp wrote:

    > "George Grapman" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Godzilla Pimp wrote:
    >>
    >> > Frankly, I think it might be better if their trailer or housing project
    >> > burned down. The evolution thang, ya know. Can't fight it forever. When
    >> > civilization fianlly collapses, the pent-up supply of dumb people will

    > be
    >> > causing accidents all over the place.
    >> >

    >> This from someone who thinks a car breaking down is a 9/11 emergency,

    > ad hominem...i win

    Sorry, if ad hominem disqualified you, your previous response already
    would have caused you to forfeit.

    Mark

    Mark VandeWettering, Feb 2, 2004
  16. "Godzilla Pimp" <> wrote in message

    > "George Grapman" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Godzilla Pimp wrote:
    > >
    > > > Frankly, I think it might be better if their trailer or housing

    project
    > > > burned down. The evolution thang, ya know. Can't fight it forever.

    When
    > > > civilization fianlly collapses, the pent-up supply of dumb people will

    > be
    > > > causing accidents all over the place.
    > > >

    > > This from someone who thinks a car breaking down is a 9/11 emergency,

    > ad hominem...i win

    No, George is correct, 911 is not designed for people who break down and
    want a tow truck, it is for people like my wife who, years ago, was home
    with 4 small children and someone tried to break into the house. The 911
    operator stayed on the phone with my wife until the police were at the front
    door. I have much respect for the Jackson Ms, Hinds County 911 service.

    David Hartung, Feb 2, 2004
  17. Shashay Doofray

    The Real Bev Guest

    Slinky wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 19:16:03 GMT, "Godzilla Pimp" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'm thinking of switching to VOIP for phone service but it doesn't offer 911
    > >emergency calling. This got me thinking about the origins of this expensive
    > >service.

    > We keep the landline so that if, all the heathen gods forbid,
    > something happens to either my husband or myself and we're home alone
    > with the kiddo, he can dial 911 and not be required to recite his
    > address during an emergency. Of course I don't expect this to happen,
    > but we've drilled our son on doing this (using a dead phone), as well
    > as on other emergency prodedures such as what to do if there's a fire
    > in the house.

    Note: if you have disconnected your normal landline but still have the
    phone and wiring hooked up, you can still call 911 on it.

    My son just switched to a $20/month VOIP service (can't remember which)
    and is quite happy with it. It's busier in the evening and the voice
    quality is less, but the free LD enables his wife to chat with her
    sister on the other side of the counry as much as they want.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    The Real Bev, Feb 2, 2004
  18. David Hartung wrote:

    > No, George is correct, 911 is not designed for people who break down and
    > want a tow truck, it is for people like my wife who, years ago, was home
    > with 4 small children and someone tried to break into the house. The 911
    > operator stayed on the phone with my wife until the police were at the front
    > door. I have much respect for the Jackson Ms, Hinds County 911 service.

    Another reason for 9/11: Many people have Caller ID blocked when they make
    calls. Dial the 7 digit number and they won't know who is calling ,but one
    person here thinks that a 5 year old unable to give that information deserves to
    die.

    --
    To reply via e-mail please delete one c from paccbell

    George Grapman, Feb 2, 2004
  19. The Real Bev wrote:

    > Slinky wrote:
    > >
    > > On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 19:16:03 GMT, "Godzilla Pimp" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I'm thinking of switching to VOIP for phone service but it doesn't offer 911
    > > >emergency calling. This got me thinking about the origins of this expensive
    > > >service.

    > > We keep the landline so that if, all the heathen gods forbid,
    > > something happens to either my husband or myself and we're home alone
    > > with the kiddo, he can dial 911 and not be required to recite his
    > > address during an emergency. Of course I don't expect this to happen,
    > > but we've drilled our son on doing this (using a dead phone), as well
    > > as on other emergency prodedures such as what to do if there's a fire
    > > in the house.

    > Note: if you have disconnected your normal landline but still have the
    > phone and wiring hooked up, you can still call 911 on it.
    >
    > My son just switched to a $20/month VOIP service (can't remember which)
    > and is quite happy with it. It's busier in the evening and the voice
    > quality is less, but the free LD enables his wife to chat with her
    > sister on the other side of the counry as much as they want.

    I California if you call 9/11 from a cell it gets you the regional CHP center
    which will not have your location and may or may not have your phone number. This
    is changing so they will know the location of the nearest cell but nothing else.
    By the way, 911 added 28 cents to my last phone bill.

    --
    To reply via e-mail please delete one c from paccbell

    George Grapman, Feb 2, 2004
  20. Shashay Doofray

    Bob Ward Guest

    wrote:

    >BTW, I've only used 911 once. My car broke down on the highway and I called
    >911 on my cell phone for a tow. They never showed up.

    No wonder. 911 isn't for road service.

    Bob Ward, Feb 2, 2004