    made him mad-- but he told me he'd take $650-700 for it.

    Should I do it?

    Dan'l.
    Daniel Dravot, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Daniel Dravot

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "Daniel Dravot" <> wrote in message
    news:2jWIc.7895$...
    > My neighbor bought one new in the spring but decided he doesn't like

    digital
    > photography and said he was going to get rid of it. It looks like it just
    > came out of the box and even still has that "new electronics" smell.
    >
    > The local camera store where he got it offered him only $500 for it, which
    > made him mad-- but he told me he'd take $650-700 for it.
    >
    > Should I do it?

    Given that he's your neighbor and could probably be persuaded to send it in
    for warranty work if that was necessary, that sounds like a reasonable deal
    (what's included -- body only? Kit lens? CF cards? )

    Mark
    Mark Weaver, Jul 13, 2004

  3. Daniel Dravot

    Sabineellen Guest

    >My neighbor bought one new in the spring but decided he doesn't like digital
    >photography and said he was going to get rid of it. It looks like it just
    >came out of the box and even still has that "new electronics" smell.
    >
    >The local camera store where he got it offered him only $500 for it, which
    >made him mad-- but he told me he'd take $650-700 for it.
    >
    >Should I do it?
    >
    >Dan'l.

    If you're going to be a good neighbour you'd tell him to put it on ebay, where
    it'd get him more, and you'd get yourself one from elsewhere. Transactions
    between relationship/friends/neighbours are something that I generally avoid
    and can sour things unnecessarily.
    Sabineellen, Jul 13, 2004
  4. Daniel Dravot

    Sabineellen Guest

    That said though, if he's happy with 650-700, i think it's a fair and
    reasonable price. If he puts it on ebay, make sure he puts a reserve on it.
    Sabineellen, Jul 13, 2004
  5. "Sabineellen" <> wrote in message

    > That said though, if he's happy with 650-700, i think it's a fair and
    > reasonable price. If he puts it on ebay, make sure he puts a reserve on

    it.

    You certainly are your brother's keeper, aren't you;-)

    Dan'l.
    Daniel Dravot, Jul 13, 2004
  6. Daniel Dravot

    Skip M Guest

    > My neighbor bought one new in the spring but decided he doesn't like

    digital
    > photography and said he was going to get rid of it. It looks like it just
    > came out of the box and even still has that "new electronics" smell.
    >
    > The local camera store where he got it offered him only $500 for it, which
    > made him mad-- but he told me he'd take $650-700 for it.
    >
    > Should I do it?
    >
    > Dan'l.

    That seems to be a fair price, if you can, get the receipts and warrantee
    card (hopefully, he hasn't filled it out...)
    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Jul 13, 2004
  7. Daniel Dravot

    Sabineellen Guest

    >You certainly are your brother's keeper, aren't you;-)
    >
    >Dan'l.

    "Cain said to Abel his brother, 'Let us go out to the field.' And when they
    were in the field, Cain rose up against his brother Abel and killed him. Then
    the Lord said to Cain, 'Where is Abel your brother?' He said, 'I do not know,
    am I my brother's keeper?'

    the Book of Genesis
    Sabineellen, Jul 13, 2004
  8. Daniel Dravot

    Your-nice Guest

    just orded one here in the uk its a us inport and £650 thats $1200 .yours
    seems a good deal if it has a lens with it.

    Your-nice, Jul 13, 2004
  9. Daniel Dravot

    Blad Nut Guest

    $700 for a DRebel in good shape is a good deal, as long as it has not been
    abused. i do not mean on purpose, but a novice to digital photography, who is
    not familiar with digital cameras can do damage accidentally. You should make
    sure that it is in good working shape, there has not been alot of dust
    accumilation on the sensor. In the DREBEL it would take a moderate amount of
    dust to even be visible in any images, thanks to the sensor type and camera
    design. As others have said, check out the warranty situation, and if possible
    have a camera repairman or knowledgeable clerk in a camera store look over it,
    if you are not confident in your ability to do so. This is a great camera for
    novice or expert and am surprised that your neighbor has decided it is not for
    him. His loss, maybe your gain :). It also responds well to the best L lenses
    very well.......good luck and enjoy it if you buy it.
    Blad Nut, Jul 14, 2004
  10. Daniel Dravot

    Alan D Guest

    I found newegg to have one of the best deals on a digital rebel with
    ($879.95) and without ($818) the kit lens along with free shipping. It is
    up to you whether you think that is a good deal versus buying a new one. He
    is going to give you a 1 GB compact flash and some other lenses for that
    price? :) Also, has if the battery has been abused, that would be a
    concern and might need replacing. Abuse could be as simple as not using it
    and leaving it in a fully discharged state.

    Alan D.

    Alan D, Jul 14, 2004