Is 64-bit WinXP faster than 32-bit WinXP?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Man-wai Chang, Apr 22, 2006.

  1. Man-wai Chang, Apr 22, 2006

  2. Man-wai Chang

    Bioboffin Guest

    Bioboffin, Apr 22, 2006

  3. Man-wai Chang, Apr 22, 2006
  4. Man-wai Chang wrote:
    > Bioboffin wrote:
    >> Yes. See discussion here:
    >>
    >> http://www.passmark.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=298

    > 22% only?

    Is that 22% advantage a result of faster clock speed, or really due to
    64-bit addressing and mathematics?

    --
    .~. Might, Courage, Vision. SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
    /( _ )\ (Ubuntu 5.10) Linux 2.6.16.8
    Man-wai Chang, Apr 22, 2006
  5. Man-wai Chang

    Bioboffin Guest

    Man-wai Chang wrote:
    > Bioboffin wrote:
    >> Yes. See discussion here:
    >>
    >> http://www.passmark.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=298

    > 22% only?

    They don't take into account improved preloading into virtual memory
    capabilities which affects how fast applications run. Subjectively, I find
    x64 'feels' a lot faster.
    Bioboffin, Apr 22, 2006
  6. Man-wai Chang

    Bioboffin Guest

    Man-wai Chang wrote:
    > Man-wai Chang wrote:
    >> Bioboffin wrote:
    >>> Yes. See discussion here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.passmark.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=298

    >> 22% only?
    >>

    > Is that 22% advantage a result of faster clock speed, or really due to
    > 64-bit addressing and mathematics?

    As they were comparing a (dual boot) win 32 installation with a win 54
    installation on the same machine, it can't have anything to do with the
    clock speed.
    Bioboffin, Apr 22, 2006
  7. Ah, but 22% is bordering on 'huge'. If people start seing that kind of
    increase from a processor upgrade, everybody starts thinking about having a
    vacation.

    But to really have a figure that means something, you would have to take a
    statistic figure on the performance of your own chip over the duration of
    the sort of excercise you exposed it to, and compare that to the same kind
    of statistic calculated for 'that other' chip over a comparable period after
    you upgrade. Then you could see what kind of benefit you had from the
    upgrade.

    Benchmarks really only compare to themselves, they are really only another
    kind of religion. Someone else running the same BM as you could arrive at a
    different result, and if you run different BM's you can have differing
    results every time.

    But I agree, it feels significantly faster, and I run BM's to, myself - that
    is the important part. If you go out and spend your money and don't feel
    there's a benefit, no matter what the Benchmarks said, you would feel
    cheated. But if the BM agrees with you own experience, then the fun really
    beginns.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 22, 2006
  8. I noticed that Office 2003 installs really fast, Photoshop 7 opens really
    fast, it still boots really fast, so I guess there are some performance
    improvements.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 22, 2006
  9. Man-wai Chang

    DP Guest

    Yup. One thing I've noticed both with a 64-bit amd single core running 32
    bit windows and with a 64-bit dual-core running x64 that programs install
    very quickly. I like that.

    DP, Apr 22, 2006
  10. This is on a AMD Sempron 2600, 1.6 GHz. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 23, 2006
  11. Man-wai Chang, Apr 23, 2006