    look back on their website I see that the VoIP link points to
    voipcheap. What's the situation regarding those who registered VoIP at
    1899.com - can they still use 1899 VoIP or is that no longer valid?

    Al, Nov 12, 2005

  2. Al

    Stickems. Guest

    It doesn't work any more.

    Stickems., Nov 13, 2005

  3. Al

    Stickems. Guest

    CORRECTION - It does work today I just tried it. It was down (not out) when
    I tried it the other day.

    Stickems., Nov 13, 2005
  4. Thus spaketh Stickems.:
    > CORRECTION - It does work today I just tried it. It was down (not
    > out) when I tried it the other day.
    >

    > "Stickems." <> wrote in message
    >> It doesn't work any more.
    >>

    >> "Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> I recall a while ago I registered at 1899.com for VoIP. Now when I
    >>> look back on their website I see that the VoIP link points to
    >>> voipcheap. What's the situation regarding those who registered VoIP
    >>> at 1899.com - can they still use 1899 VoIP or is that no longer
    >>> valid?

    18866 VoIP is alive too.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Nov 13, 2005
  5. Al

    Al Guest

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 12:51:29 -0000, Stickems. wrote:

    >CORRECTION - It does work today I just tried it. It was down (not out) when
    >I tried it the other day.

    What are the charges for UK landline calls on 1899 voip and can you
    still use an ATA or are you restricted to using their own software?

    Al, Nov 13, 2005
  6. Al

    Stickems. Guest

    I have been paying 3p connection charge for UK 01 and 02 with 0.00 PPM until
    Friday last. Haven't used them over the weekend as OneTel are free. They
    have just increased the rate to 0.05 PPM. I don't know about using an ATA
    with 1899.

    Stickems., Nov 13, 2005
  7. Al

    Al Guest

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:37:27 -0000, Stickems. wrote:

    >I have been paying 3p connection charge for UK 01 and 02 with 0.00 PPM until
    >Friday last.

    In that case I see no point in using 1899 voip as it's the same price
    as calling from PSTN. For me the only reason for using VoIP is that it
    must be cheaper than making the equivalent call using PSTN.

    Al, Nov 13, 2005
  8. Al

    Mark BR Guest

    "Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:37:27 -0000, Stickems. wrote:
    >
    >>I have been paying 3p connection charge for UK 01 and 02 with 0.00 PPM
    >>until
    >>Friday last.

    > In that case I see no point in using 1899 voip as it's the same price
    > as calling from PSTN. For me the only reason for using VoIP is that it
    > must be cheaper than making the equivalent call using PSTN.

    What if you are outside the UK and want to call a UK number, one of the
    major selling points of VoIP.

    Mark BR

    Mark BR, Nov 14, 2005
  9. Thus spaketh Mark BR:
    > "Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:37:27 -0000, Stickems. wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have been paying 3p connection charge for UK 01 and 02 with 0.00
    >>> PPM until
    >>> Friday last.

    >> In that case I see no point in using 1899 voip as it's the same price
    >> as calling from PSTN. For me the only reason for using VoIP is that
    >> it must be cheaper than making the equivalent call using PSTN.
    >>

    > What if you are outside the UK and want to call a UK number, one of
    > the major selling points of VoIP.
    >
    > Mark BR

    Or people like myself who no longer have a landline and rely on VoIP.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Nov 14, 2005
  10. Al

    Al Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 06:54:06 GMT, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

    >Or people like myself who no longer have a landline and rely on VoIP.

    You have my deepest sympathy.

    Al, Nov 14, 2005
  11. Al

    Mark BR Guest

    > Thus spaketh Mark BR:

    >> What if you are outside the UK and want to call a UK number, one of
    >> the major selling points of VoIP.
    >>
    >> Mark BR

    > Or people like myself who no longer have a landline and rely on VoIP.

    Never quite understand that.

    How do you have Internet without some form of landline being attached to the
    system?

    Mark BR

    Mark BR, Nov 14, 2005
  12. Thus spaketh Mark BR:
    > "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:iwWdf.7556$...
    >> Thus spaketh Mark BR:

    >>> What if you are outside the UK and want to call a UK number, one of
    >>> the major selling points of VoIP.
    >>>
    >>> Mark BR

    >> Or people like myself who no longer have a landline and rely on
    >> VoIP. Never quite understand that.

    > How do you have Internet without some form of landline being attached
    > to the system?
    >
    > Mark BR

    Telewest broadband.

    Have recently dumped my BT landline once I had VoIP running to my
    satisfaction.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Nov 14, 2005
  13. Al

    Mark BR Guest

    > Thus spaketh Mark BR:
    >> "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in
    >> message news:iwWdf.7556$...
    >>> Thus spaketh Mark BR:

    >>> Or people like myself who no longer have a landline and rely on
    >>> VoIP. Never quite understand that.

    >> How do you have Internet without some form of landline being attached
    >> to the system?
    >>
    >> Mark BR

    > Telewest broadband.
    >
    > Have recently dumped my BT landline once I had VoIP running to my
    > satisfaction.

    Ah - thought that a cable automatically gave you the telephone, didn't know
    you could just have the broadband part. No cable near us!

    Mark BR

    Mark BR, Nov 14, 2005
  14. On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:59:36 +0700, Mark BR <> wrote:

    > "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Thus spaketh Mark BR:
    >>> "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in
    >>> message news:iwWdf.7556$...

    >>> How do you have Internet without some form of landline being attached
    >>> to the system?
    >>>
    >>> Mark BR

    >> Telewest broadband.

    Hi,

    did you have to push them for this or is it a standard cable option?

    do you have to get things like TV bundled in? all I want is 1mbps
    broadband. full stop!

    I live in Westminster but there is no NTL there so I am stuck with BT.
    I'd love to get rid of my landline.

    ben.

    --
    Registered Linux user number 339435

    Ben Fitzgerald, Nov 19, 2005
  15. Thus spaketh Ben Fitzgerald:
    > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:59:36 +0700, Mark BR <>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in
    >> message news:xGXdf.7569$...
    >>> Thus spaketh Mark BR:

    >>> Telewest broadband.

    > Hi,
    >
    > did you have to push them for this or is it a standard cable option?
    >
    > do you have to get things like TV bundled in? all I want is 1mbps
    > broadband. full stop!
    >
    > I live in Westminster but there is no NTL there so I am stuck with BT.
    > I'd love to get rid of my landline.
    >
    > ben.

    With Telewest, you can just have the broadband, unlike over a BT line which
    ADSL requires a phone line, cable broadband is delivered via co-ox, completely
    separately from the phone.

    However it was £25/month for 1mb broadband only or £19.99/month for 1mb
    broadband and (free) starter TV for 12 months, so I thought why not save
    myself £5/month and have the broadband with free TV, even though I have Sky
    Digital (won't drop for cable, cable TV not good enough yet) and Freeview, and
    multi-sat.

    The offer has changed, and you no longer get free TV.

    My friends and relatives just have the broadband, once my 12months of free TV
    is up I will drop the TV side.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Nov 19, 2005
  16. Al

    Victor Delta Guest

    "Stickems." <> wrote in message
    >I have been paying 3p connection charge for UK 01 and 02 with 0.00 PPM
    >until
    > Friday last. Haven't used them over the weekend as OneTel are free. They
    > have just increased the rate to 0.05 PPM. I don't know about using an ATA
    > with 1899.

    I had X-Lite set up to use 18866's own VOIP service but I find that is now
    1ppm for UK calls.

    Didn't realise 1899 VOIP was still accessible. Presumably I could
    reconfigure X-Lite for that - does anyone know the appropriate settings
    please (I have a username and password for 1899)?

    Thanks

    Victor Delta, Nov 25, 2005
  17. Thus spaketh Victor Delta:
    > "Stickems." <> wrote in message
    >> I have been paying 3p connection charge for UK 01 and 02 with 0.00
    >> PPM until
    >> Friday last. Haven't used them over the weekend as OneTel are free.
    >> They have just increased the rate to 0.05 PPM. I don't know about
    >> using an ATA with 1899.

    > I had X-Lite set up to use 18866's own VOIP service but I find that
    > is now 1ppm for UK calls.
    >
    > Didn't realise 1899 VOIP was still accessible. Presumably I could
    > reconfigure X-Lite for that - does anyone know the appropriate
    > settings please (I have a username and password for 1899)?
    >
    > Thanks

    Configuring SIP or IAX SoftPhones in order to call with 1899

    Configure a SIP softphone as follows:

    User Name:
    1899 + your phonenumber

    Password:
    your 1899 customer number

    Domain/Realm (optional):
    1899.com

    SIP Proxy/registrar:
    sip.1899.com

    SIP Outbound Proxy (optional):
    sip.1899.com

    STUN server (optional):
    stun.1899.com

    Configure an IAX softphone as follows:

    User Name:
    1899 + your phonenumber

    Password:
    your 1899 customer number

    IAX Server:
    iax.1899.com

    Codecs you can use

    G.729 (8 kbps ANNEX A & B)
    G.723 (5.3, 6.3 kbps)
    G.726 (16, 24, 32 kbps
    GSM (13.2 kbps)
    G.711 (64 kbps)

    For half (£25) of my bonus (£50) when referred to Telewest or £5 when
    referred to easyMobile contact me via above site.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Nov 25, 2005