    Is $1,700 incl GST a good price on this?

    --
    John B

    John B, Jan 12, 2004

  2. John B

    John B Guest

    Thanks Matthew.

    It's for a small office with 4 computers which are not used extensively -
    perhaps an hour or two per day. Not much load really. 256MB Ram should be
    ok.
    --
    John B

    John B, Jan 12, 2004

  3. John B

    bruce Guest

    microsoft's minimum recommended ram is 256mb, early installs of advanced
    server would not run on less than 256mb, it only highlights how fucked
    hewlett packard is by selling it with 256mb, can you buy a new lapop with
    only 256mb ram?

    do yourself a favour, dont open the software, flog it on trademe, install
    linux and buy more ram with the money from trademe.

    256mb? between hewlett packard & microsoft they've stuffed a prefectly
    good cpu

    bruce, Jan 12, 2004

    Matthew Poole, Jan 12, 2004
  5. In article <WIqMb.16877$>, "John B" <> wrote:
    >Thanks Matthew.
    >
    >It's for a small office with 4 computers which are not used extensively -
    >perhaps an hour or two per day. Not much load really. 256MB Ram should be
    >ok.

    Yes, you should be able to scrape by with 256MB. That's the absolute
    minimum for S2K, and 512MB is highly recommended.
    Luckily RAM's fairly cheap at the moment, so another 256MB should only
    be a couple of hundred dollars.

    Matthew Poole, Jan 12, 2004
  6. John B

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:36:30 +1300, "John B" <>
    wrote:

    >HP TC2120 P4 2.66 with SBS 2003 Server & 5 Clients standard edition
    >
    >Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz CPU, 512kb ECC Cache, ServerWorks GC-SL chipset,
    >40GB HDD
    >256MB PC2100 DDR sdram, expanable to 4GB
    >Compaq NC7760 PCI Gigabit NIC embedded 10/100/1000 wake on Lan
    >4 slots available on SCSI model 4 64bit/33Mhz PCI
    >Integrated ATi Rage XL with 8MB SDRAM video card
    >250 watts PSU, 2 x USB ports, rome setup utility and PXE support
    >Includes Windows 2000 server and 5 client licenses
    >
    >Is $1,700 incl GST a good price on this?

    For what you get it is a good price, although it has to be said the HP
    distributor has just announced big price cuts on HP desktops & servers
    so that $1700 price is just a reflection of those cuts.... would pay
    to confirm availability as they're probably quoting off a price list
    rather than ex-stock.

    Two things to look at....... could do with more RAM, the TC2120 takes
    PC2100 ECC RAM which costs a bit more than standard RAM. Doesn't have
    to be HP branded RAM, just a suitable type from a reputable supplier.
    That model you've been quoted also has an IDE drive & would pay to
    check if it supports IDE RAID... not sure if the TC2120 does or not.
    You really don't want to run a server with just one hard drive.

    They're not a bad server for the price, bit of a hybrid but build
    quality is ok performance is reasonable enough.

    Btw you can't sell the SBS server separate, is an OEM version & if
    it's the same as the OEM Win2k server for the TC2120 it's built into
    the restore CD.

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Jan 12, 2004
  7. John B

    K & S Guest

    Re: Is $1,700 a good price for HP server? NO NO & NO

    Propriety product, locked in Service and Parts..

    Get one made up with normal stock parts..

    K & S, Jan 12, 2004
  8. John B

    John B Guest

    Thanks Gavin,
    Very helpful
    --
    John B

    John B, Jan 12, 2004
  9. John B

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:10:22 +1300, bruce wrote:

    > microsoft's minimum recommended ram is 256mb, early installs of advanced
    > server would not run on less than 256mb, it only highlights how fucked
    > hewlett packard is by selling it with 256mb, can you buy a new lapop
    > with only 256mb ram?

    I've found SBS (haven't tried 2003 yet) to be a very memory hungry OS due
    to it's kitchen sink approach to bundled software.

    I would definitely upgrade the memory to at the very least 512MB unless
    you aren't planning on running Exchange. Generic memory should work ok,
    but if you want more compatibility certainty without paying the official
    HP prices, Kingston will have a part intended for that server model.

    Hell, IBM now just uses Kingston memory in their low end servers anyway.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jan 12, 2004
  10. John B

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "John B" <> wrote in message
    > HP TC2120 P4 2.66 with SBS 2003 Server & 5 Clients standard edition
    >
    > Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz CPU, 512kb ECC Cache, ServerWorks GC-SL chipset,
    > 40GB HDD
    > 256MB PC2100 DDR sdram, expanable to 4GB
    > Compaq NC7760 PCI Gigabit NIC embedded 10/100/1000 wake on Lan
    > 4 slots available on SCSI model 4 64bit/33Mhz PCI
    > Integrated ATi Rage XL with 8MB SDRAM video card
    > 250 watts PSU, 2 x USB ports, rome setup utility and PXE support
    > Includes Windows 2000 server and 5 client licenses
    >
    > Is $1,700 incl GST a good price on this?

    The recommended retail for this is $4695, so i would say that if you need
    this kind of server (system) that it's a good deal. The only thing is that
    the RAM for it is a bit pricey - $355 retail for 256MB. Given that it's
    SBS03 i would spec at least another 256/512 at the time of purchase.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    Losers always whine about their 'best'.

    Mr Scebe, Jan 13, 2004
  11. John B

    E. Guest

    Mr Scebe wrote:
    > "John B" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>HP TC2120 P4 2.66 with SBS 2003 Server & 5 Clients standard edition
    >>
    >>Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz CPU, 512kb ECC Cache, ServerWorks GC-SL chipset,
    >>40GB HDD
    >>256MB PC2100 DDR sdram, expanable to 4GB
    >>Compaq NC7760 PCI Gigabit NIC embedded 10/100/1000 wake on Lan
    >>4 slots available on SCSI model 4 64bit/33Mhz PCI
    >>Integrated ATi Rage XL with 8MB SDRAM video card
    >>250 watts PSU, 2 x USB ports, rome setup utility and PXE support
    >>Includes Windows 2000 server and 5 client licenses
    >>
    >>Is $1,700 incl GST a good price on this?

    > The recommended retail for this is $4695, so i would say that if you need
    > this kind of server (system) that it's a good deal. The only thing is that
    > the RAM for it is a bit pricey - $355 retail for 256MB. Given that it's
    > SBS03 i would spec at least another 256/512 at the time of purchase.
    >
    > --
    > Mr Scebe
    > Losers always whine about their 'best'.
    > Winners go home and **** the prom queen".
    > ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    For SBS0x a dual Xeon board would be better, minimum 1Gb ram.
    Bear in mind that you would really need a raid controller (either IDE or
    SCSI), twin disks and a 64 bit PCI SCSI controller for any tape drive if
    you don't get the SCSI option inbuilt (these are more expensive than 32
    bit). You'd also need a 2nd NIC, and the power supply is way underpower
    for anything pretending to be a server.
    E.

    E., Jan 13, 2004
  12. John B

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:40:25 +0000, E. wrote:

    > For SBS0x a dual Xeon board would be better, minimum 1Gb ram. Bear in mind
    > that you would really need a raid controller (either IDE or SCSI), twin
    > disks and a 64 bit PCI SCSI controller for any tape drive if you don't get
    > the SCSI option inbuilt (these are more expensive than 32 bit). You'd also
    > need a 2nd NIC, and the power supply is way underpower for anything
    > pretending to be a server. E.

    Hehe all that for a 4 person office.

    This is were SBS misses the plot IMO. I think MS overestimates how much
    money small businesses like this have to spend.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jan 13, 2004
  13. John B

    John B Guest

    I'm the person who asked the question.

    Well yes, I thought perhaps just keeping their present system (where one of
    their computer acts as the server) is ok in such a small office. It is not a
    computer intensive operation.

    They are an organisation that provides funding for the care of disabled
    people. (My wife is the manager.) They have a database which is kept on one
    computer. Other computers are used by field staff to access the database and
    update details when they come back into the office after being out having
    done assessments.

    The reception staff do use the system quite a lot during the day. Reports,
    client information etc etc.

    Personally, I don't see a need for a dedicated server. But their tech is
    trying to tell them their old server is going to crap out soon. Well, they
    have just recently installed a new HP computer to replace the old one that
    was used as the server. So I think this techie is being a bit dishonest
    here. Also, the price quoted is only available for 1 week. Talk about
    pressure. And if HP have just announced significant price cuts.....well. The
    quoited price of $1,700 was apparently down from $5,300. A bit more
    misleading information, or misinformation methinks.

    I reckon they would be better off getting a better backup system in place
    rather than installing a dedicated server.

    Any ideas/opinions most welcome.

    --
    John B

    John B, Jan 13, 2004
  14. John B

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:12:45 +1300, John B wrote:

    > Personally, I don't see a need for a dedicated server. But their tech is
    > trying to tell them their old server is going to crap out soon. Well, they
    > have just recently installed a new HP computer to replace the old one that
    > was used as the server. So I think this techie is being a bit dishonest
    > here. Also, the price quoted is only available for 1 week. Talk about
    > pressure. And if HP have just announced significant price cuts.....well.
    > The quoited price of $1,700 was apparently down from $5,300. A bit more
    > misleading information, or misinformation methinks.

    I would call bollocks on the $5300. Unless he's comparing apples with
    oranges - ie leaving out the OS cost or installation price etc on the
    $1700.

    I didn't see the storage specs included in those details you listed. The
    base models of most low end servers normally don't include any. The tech
    did include some disks in his price I hope?

    > I reckon they would be better off getting a better backup system in place
    > rather than installing a dedicated server.

    Agreed, also a decent bit of backup hardware (and set of tapes) adds to
    the price quite considerably - especially if you want Veritas or something
    in there as well. I'm going through an anti Vertias phase at the moment :)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jan 14, 2004
  15. John B

    John B Guest

    "AD." <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:12:45 +1300, John B wrote:
    >
    > > Personally, I don't see a need for a dedicated server. But their tech is
    > > trying to tell them their old server is going to crap out soon. Well,

    they
    > > have just recently installed a new HP computer to replace the old one

    that
    > > was used as the server. So I think this techie is being a bit dishonest
    > > here. Also, the price quoted is only available for 1 week. Talk about
    > > pressure. And if HP have just announced significant price cuts.....well.
    > > The quoited price of $1,700 was apparently down from $5,300. A bit more
    > > misleading information, or misinformation methinks.

    > I would call bollocks on the $5300. Unless he's comparing apples with
    > oranges - ie leaving out the OS cost or installation price etc on the
    > $1700.
    >
    > I didn't see the storage specs included in those details you listed. The
    > base models of most low end servers normally don't include any. The tech
    > did include some disks in his price I hope?

    Just a 40GB HDD

    snip

    John B

    John B, Jan 14, 2004
  16. John B

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    wrote:

    >I'm the person who asked the question.
    >
    >Well yes, I thought perhaps just keeping their present system (where one of
    >their computer acts as the server) is ok in such a small office. It is not a
    >computer intensive operation.
    >
    >They are an organisation that provides funding for the care of disabled
    >people. (My wife is the manager.) They have a database which is kept on one
    >computer. Other computers are used by field staff to access the database and
    >update details when they come back into the office after being out having
    >done assessments.
    >
    >The reception staff do use the system quite a lot during the day. Reports,
    >client information etc etc.
    >
    >Personally, I don't see a need for a dedicated server. But their tech is
    >trying to tell them their old server is going to crap out soon. Well, they
    >have just recently installed a new HP computer to replace the old one that
    >was used as the server. So I think this techie is being a bit dishonest
    >here. Also, the price quoted is only available for 1 week. Talk about
    >pressure. And if HP have just announced significant price cuts.....well. The
    >quoited price of $1,700 was apparently down from $5,300. A bit more
    >misleading information, or misinformation methinks.
    >
    >I reckon they would be better off getting a better backup system in place
    >rather than installing a dedicated server.
    >
    >Any ideas/opinions most welcome.

    There is absolutely no question that backups are more important than
    another server... if it came to a choice between the two. If they're
    not backing their data up now then get them started, yesterday is
    preferable.

    The choice of server in a 4-5 user network is really not a huge issue,
    if it's just being used as a file server. Any old (decent) PC will do
    fine it comes down to it, but you just don't get quite the reliability
    of a proper server. Data security is the prime issue, followed by
    availability (downtime)

    I prefer tape for business backups, but DVDRW & CDRW writers are so
    cheap now there really is no excuse for not having a decent backup
    system. Even 250mb Zip drives are fine for small amounts of data, just
    make sure they don't keep using the same disks & have a proper backup
    regime.

    Btw the $5300 SRP is meaningless, that's the old suggested retail.

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Jan 14, 2004
  17. John B

    John B Guest

    Thanks for your input Gavin. Appreciated.

    They are backing up their data with zip. But I might suggest CDRW.

    John B, Jan 14, 2004
  18. John B

    E. Guest

    AD. wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:40:25 +0000, E. wrote:
    >

    >>For SBS0x a dual Xeon board would be better, minimum 1Gb ram. Bear in mind
    >>that you would really need a raid controller (either IDE or SCSI), twin
    >>disks and a 64 bit PCI SCSI controller for any tape drive if you don't get
    >>the SCSI option inbuilt (these are more expensive than 32 bit). You'd also
    >>need a 2nd NIC, and the power supply is way underpower for anything
    >>pretending to be a server. E.

    > Hehe all that for a 4 person office.
    >
    > This is were SBS misses the plot IMO. I think MS overestimates how much
    > money small businesses like this have to spend.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    SBS has always been a very good product (once you get used to its
    foibles), but SBS 2k +03 are pretty hardware hungry. Plus running your
    domain controller on the same box as IIS / RAS has never been pretty.
    E.

    E., Jan 14, 2004
  19. John B

    E. Guest

    John B wrote:

    > I'm the person who asked the question.
    >
    > Well yes, I thought perhaps just keeping their present system (where one of
    > their computer acts as the server) is ok in such a small office. It is not a
    > computer intensive operation.

    SBS0x is a pretty good product. You get fully licensed Ms prods for a
    fractionj of the normal retails (SQL, Exchange, ISA etc), but that comes
    with a shitload of follow on costs including;
    -implementation,
    -Exchange compatible backup software,
    -Exchange compatible antivirus software
    Don't expect much change from 10K if you go the SBS path.
    You also get some cool stuff to play with like VPN and OWA.

    That price also doesn't include mirrored drives.

    > They are an organisation that provides funding for the care of disabled
    > people. (My wife is the manager.) They have a database which is kept on one
    > computer. Other computers are used by field staff to access the database and
    > update details when they come back into the office after being out having
    > done assessments.
    >
    > The reception staff do use the system quite a lot during the day. Reports,
    > client information etc etc.
    >
    > Personally, I don't see a need for a dedicated server. But their tech is
    > trying to tell them their old server is going to crap out soon. Well, they
    > have just recently installed a new HP computer to replace the old one that
    > was used as the server. So I think this techie is being a bit dishonest
    > here. Also, the price quoted is only available for 1 week. Talk about
    > pressure. And if HP have just announced significant price cuts.....well. The
    > quoited price of $1,700 was apparently down from $5,300. A bit more
    > misleading information, or misinformation methinks.

    W2k and XP pro cannot support up to 10 client connections. If you aren't
    going to go over that many desktops I wouldn't bother with a server OS
    for the environment you describe unless you have some must-have app that
    requires it.
    I think your techie just wants a server to play with....

    > I reckon they would be better off getting a better backup system in place
    > rather than installing a dedicated server.
    >
    > Any ideas/opinions most welcome.
    >
    > --
    > John B

    You would be better off with a couple of hard disks (current backup size
    * 5 + 30%), a couple of external USB cases and a copy of Stomp! Backup
    myPc (formerly veritas backup)
    Set up 5 jobs writing to 5 different files on the USB drive (monday,
    tuesday etc). that way you get a total of 10 backups, low ongoing costs
    and you can rotate the USB drives offsite weekly, providing some
    redundancy in event of fire, theft etc
    E.

    E., Jan 14, 2004
  20. John B

    E. Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:

    > In article <>, "E." <> wrote:
    >
    >>John B wrote:

    > *SNIP*
    >
    >>W2k and XP pro cannot support up to 10 client connections. If you aren't
    >>going to go over that many desktops I wouldn't bother with a server OS
    >>for the environment you describe unless you have some must-have app that
    >>requires it.

    > You mean "can support up to", and that's the desktop variants.

    You're right! that's exactly what I meant. Glad one of use is awake.
    It's amazing what the fingers can do when the brain isn't looking.....

    > Also, each connection is counted, not just each workstation. So a
    > connection to Exchange plus two mapped drives is three connections, even
    > if it's from the same computer.

    Actually it doesn't work that way with MS server OS's. 1 ws client is 1
    ws client, irrespective of how many individual connections a client has.
    Having 4 mapped drives does not mean 4 licenses are needed.

    >>I think your techie just wants a server to play with....

    > *SNIP*
    > Possibly. But they've picked a nice, cheap one in that case.

    .... that cannot function as server without some serious upgrades to get
    it to an even halfway decent 'server'
    In what the poster stated, they could buy a fairly decent ws for less
    and be better off.
    E.

    E., Jan 14, 2004