Irritating DVD playback problem.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Knut Arvid Keilen, Jan 13, 2007.

  1. I have several DVD packages installed on my computer. Also there are several
    partitions, because I have more than one hard disk.

    I use Windows XP, Home Edition (which by now perhaps beat Windows
    Professional).

    On the older partition that I am on now, I have Windows Media Player,
    RealPlayer and InterActual Player 2.60 installed. Also a link to "Unlock or
    Buy NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder"
    under nVidia Corporation - ForceWare - nStant Media. One software that tries
    hard to get it working is the WinDVD software from InterVideo (not installed
    right here, but I have it).

    Also I have other packages and the hardware is good. Also I have a 5.1 Sound
    System with 5 wall mounted speakers and a bass speaker on my table.

    When I try playing, it won't do so. It comes up with an error message
    telling me that there may be a problem with the (sub) sound system. The
    sound driver may not
    be compatible with DirectX. I should close all DirectSound software that is
    using the sound card.

    The main board is a powerful one having PCI Express cards (I think that is
    the correct name for it), but the sound card (which is my third) may not
    perhaps be totally ideal for it
    (Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS with cable conneted volume control / bass level
    switch or knob).

    In earlier versions of Windows Media Player this actually worked fine. Then
    something was pulled out of the software and it does not do the job anymore.

    So I am asking the following. Please fix this problem. It is a very annoying
    problem.

    Thanks in advance.

    Knut Arvid Keilen
    Norway.

    Knut Arvid Keilen, Jan 13, 2007

  2. Knut Arvid Keilen

    PeeCee Guest

    "Knut Arvid Keilen" <> wrote in message
    >I have several DVD packages installed on my computer. Also there are
    >several partitions, because I have more than one hard disk.
    >
    > I use Windows XP, Home Edition (which by now perhaps beat Windows
    > Professional).
    >
    > On the older partition that I am on now, I have Windows Media Player,
    > RealPlayer and InterActual Player 2.60 installed. Also a link to "Unlock
    > or Buy NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder"
    > under nVidia Corporation - ForceWare - nStant Media. One software that
    > tries hard to get it working is the WinDVD software from InterVideo (not
    > installed right here, but I have it).
    >
    > Also I have other packages and the hardware is good. Also I have a 5.1
    > Sound System with 5 wall mounted speakers and a bass speaker on my table.
    >
    > When I try playing, it won't do so. It comes up with an error message
    > telling me that there may be a problem with the (sub) sound system. The
    > sound driver may not
    > be compatible with DirectX. I should close all DirectSound software that
    > is using the sound card.
    >
    > The main board is a powerful one having PCI Express cards (I think that is
    > the correct name for it), but the sound card (which is my third) may not
    > perhaps be totally ideal for it
    > (Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS with cable conneted volume control / bass level
    > switch or knob).
    >
    > In earlier versions of Windows Media Player this actually worked fine.
    > Then something was pulled out of the software and it does not do the job
    > anymore.
    >
    > So I am asking the following. Please fix this problem. It is a very
    > annoying problem.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Knut Arvid Keilen
    > Norway.

    Knut

    Remove all your sound card applications from 'add/remove programs'.
    Under controlpanel, system, hardware, device manager right click your sound
    card drivers and uninstall what you can.
    Reboot your PC, run the Sound card driver and software install CD.
    Go to Windows Update and check for DirectX 9c download & install.

    best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 13, 2007

  3. Knut Arvid Keilen wrote:

    > When I try playing, it won't do so. It comes up with an error message
    > telling me that there may be a problem with the (sub) sound system. The
    > sound driver may not
    > be compatible with DirectX. I should close all DirectSound software that
    > is using the sound card.
    >
    > The main board is a powerful one having PCI Express cards (I think that is
    > the correct name for it), but the sound card (which is my third) may not
    > perhaps be totally ideal for it
    > (Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS with cable conneted volume control / bass level
    > switch or knob).
    >
    > In earlier versions of Windows Media Player this actually worked fine.
    > Then something was pulled out of the software and it does not do the job
    > anymore.

    Get the previous version of MP again. Maybe the last one is
    DRM-ridden "prepared for vista".

    > So I am asking the following. Please fix this problem. It is a very
    > annoying problem.

    LOL. You should notice you are "posting" to a international world-wide
    USENET newsgroup, not the helldesk of your ISP of Microsoft or whatever you
    might think. Ask wikipedia for the term "usenet", please :)

    Walter Mautner, Jan 13, 2007
  4. Knut Arvid Keilen

    Guest

    "Knut Arvid Keilen" <> wrote in

    > When I try playing, it won't do so. It comes up with an error message
    > telling me that there may be a problem with the (sub) sound system.
    > The sound driver may not
    > be compatible with DirectX. I should close all DirectSound software
    > that is using the sound card.

    You should also use a program like Gspot to see how many codecs you have
    installed. There could be conflicts all over the place between Active X
    drivers and other dll files.

    Have you installed anything like the K-lite Mega Codec pack in addition to
    others? Even if it's K-lite alone, you should use the installer and be
    very selective in your choices by using the custom install feature.

    Once again, MS has dropped the ball by not offering a decent codec pack and
    licensing the top codecs. They charge good dough for their OS, but let
    their customers load the systems up with 3rd party drivers in every OS
    subdirectory.

    Windows is like buying a car and loading it with after market merchandise,
    even where the manufacturer recommends only to use their own brand, except
    that if cars broke down with malware as much as Windows does, no one would
    be on the road or ever get to work on time.

    , Jan 13, 2007