Irritating background noise with Sipgate/X-lite

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Lobster, Jan 3, 2010.

  1. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    2nd of 2 (entirely unrelated! queries on this setup:

    Just been setting up Sipgate on my daughter's uni laptop while it's home
    for Xmas, using the latest free download of X-Lite. After some faffing
    about, it's working, but am finding that the person calling in (ie via
    landline/mobile phone) is consistently getting an annoying pulsating
    white noise in the background (it pulses about twice per second). The
    person on using the voip phone hears none of this; their audio quality
    is fine. Any ideas please?

    (In case it's relevant - initially the third party couldn't hear
    anything from the person on the voip phone, so I implemented the fix
    described here (changing a codec I think!?): http://tinyurl.com/yc3e8os (or
    <http://forums.counterpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=11370&sid=2885b5846383450196d5384875190535>)

    Furthermore, it makes no difference whether I'm using X-lite on the
    laptop's built-in mic/speakers, or via a USB phone.

    Thanks for any advice

    David
    Lobster, Jan 3, 2010

  2. Lobster

    alexd Guest

    Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, R. Mark
    Clayton chose the tried and tested strategy of:

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    22:44:24 up 37 days, 2:39, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    alexd, Jan 3, 2010