IRQ shared/conflict problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Hambonz, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Hambonz

    Hambonz Guest

    Hi,

    I've just reinstalled a WIN98 onto an 'oldish' PC, and the Adaptec
    SCSI card is showing a conflict on IRQ3 , which is also used by
    SoundBlaster and "IRQ Holder for PCI Steering" <?>.

    The system is running fine, but without the PCI SCSI card I have no CD
    re-writer and no external SCSI interface to my DAT drive :(

    I have tried changing the IRQ within Windows, but it says it is not
    allowed on any of the 3 devices sharing the IRQ.

    I am about to go looking into the software/drivers (websites) for
    SoundBlaster and Adaptec to see if I can change the IRQ for the
    devices.

    Question: does the physical PCI slot used by a card affect the IRQ ?

    Any help appreciated.

    HambonZ
    Hambonz, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Hambonz

    °Mike° Guest

    If you are using a PS/2 or USB (not likely) mouse, disable
    one of the COM1/2 ports in the BIOS. This will free up an
    IRQ for you. You can also disable any unused IDE channels,
    or any unused IDE ports on your sound card, if applicable.

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:06:36 +0000, in
    <>
    Hambonz scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Hambonz

    ICee Guest

    Hambonz wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just reinstalled a WIN98 onto an 'oldish' PC, and the Adaptec
    > SCSI card is showing a conflict on IRQ3 , which is also used by
    > SoundBlaster and "IRQ Holder for PCI Steering" <?>.

    IRQ holder for PCI steering is something you will see with each PCI
    device. It does not 'use' a IRQ.

    > The system is running fine, but without the PCI SCSI card I have no CD
    > re-writer and no external SCSI interface to my DAT drive :(
    >
    > I have tried changing the IRQ within Windows, but it says it is not
    > allowed on any of the 3 devices sharing the IRQ.
    >
    > I am about to go looking into the software/drivers (websites) for
    > SoundBlaster and Adaptec to see if I can change the IRQ for the
    > devices.
    >
    > Question: does the physical PCI slot used by a card affect the IRQ ?

    Yes, depending on the MB and BIOS. You can try moving the card(s) to
    different PCI slots and the IRQ used will usually change. Be sure to
    uninstall the device first in device manager before moving. When in the
    new slot, Windows will 'see' it and reinstall it. Also, as °Mike°
    mentioned, disable anything you aren't using, such as serial ports,
    which use IRQ 3 and 4, if memory serves.

    --
    "Infinity is just so big that by comparison,
    bigness itself looks really titchy."
    ICee, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Hambonz

    Rob K Guest

    Hambonz wrote:
    <snip>

    > HambonZ

    Just two eurocents in addition to the earlier replies:

    I'd uninstall the SB, get everything (notably the SCSI card) working,
    and then add the SB ....

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    Rob K, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Hambonz

    DE Guest

    Hambonz wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just reinstalled a WIN98 onto an 'oldish' PC, and the Adaptec
    > SCSI card is showing a conflict on IRQ3 , which is also used by
    > SoundBlaster and "IRQ Holder for PCI Steering" <?>.
    >
    > The system is running fine, but without the PCI SCSI card I have no CD
    > re-writer and no external SCSI interface to my DAT drive :(
    >
    > I have tried changing the IRQ within Windows, but it says it is not
    > allowed on any of the 3 devices sharing the IRQ.
    >
    > I am about to go looking into the software/drivers (websites) for
    > SoundBlaster and Adaptec to see if I can change the IRQ for the
    > devices.
    >
    > Question: does the physical PCI slot used by a card affect the IRQ ?
    >

    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > HambonZ

    You want to set the SB to not use IRQ3; if it has jumpers, use those,
    otherwise it is normally set in the BIOS by slot number. The SB will
    typically use IRQ5 and/or 10. The Adaptec should be left at IRQ3 but you
    have to disable COM2 as others have explained (2nd serial port) to free up
    that IRQ.

    You cannot do this through windows; you do it through the CMOS setup.
    Windows just picks up whatever is set through the hardware etc.

    Keep in mind that there are only IRQs 0-15 on this system you have, and
    that most are allocated and therefore unusable to you. One that you
    *might* be able to take advantage of is 15, which normally is a second IDE
    channel but you mention the SCSI is for CD so perhaps you only use the
    first IDE channel (on IRQ14.)

    With older systems like this, you play a juggling game to find free IRQs
    for all the devices. You might find also that an IR port is enabled and
    is using an IRQ you could use.

    You'll *also* have to be sure, with this older system, that you don't set
    the SB to use a DMA channel that's used for anything else (such as printing).

    BTW, here are the likely "available" IRQs that you can play with:

    IRQ3 2nd serial port (COM2/COM4) used by modem or SCSI card
    IRQ4 1st serial port (COM1/COM3) used by modem or mouse
    IRQ5 2nd parallel port, often used by SB
    IRQ7 1st parallel port, needed for printer on LPT1:
    IRQ9 *Sometimes* available but often used for disk cascade from IRQ2
    IRQ10 Used for SB or NIC
    IRQ11 Typically used for NIC
    IRQ15 2nd IDE channel, used for NIC often if only IDE0 is in use

    Hope that helps.

    -- DE
    DE, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Hambonz

    Hambonz Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:06:36 +0000, Hambonz <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've just reinstalled a WIN98 onto an 'oldish' PC, and the Adaptec
    >SCSI card is showing a conflict on IRQ3 , which is also used by
    >SoundBlaster and "IRQ Holder for PCI Steering" <?>.
    >
    >The system is running fine, but without the PCI SCSI card I have no CD
    >re-writer and no external SCSI interface to my DAT drive :(
    >
    >I have tried changing the IRQ within Windows, but it says it is not
    >allowed on any of the 3 devices sharing the IRQ.
    >
    >I am about to go looking into the software/drivers (websites) for
    >SoundBlaster and Adaptec to see if I can change the IRQ for the
    >devices.
    >
    >Question: does the physical PCI slot used by a card affect the IRQ ?
    >

    >Any help appreciated.

    Update from OP:

    Thanks to all who replied.

    I was unable to change the IRQ in the BIOS (well I failed to) so I
    swapped the network and SCSI cards/slots, and the system is now
    looking good.

    For anyone interested the automatic IRQ allocations are:

    0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 3Com OfficeConnect NIC (3CSOHO100-TX)
    3 Sound Blaster AudioPCI 64V
    3 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 Hauppauge Win/TV 878/9 Aux Driver
    5 Hauppauge Win/TV 878/9 VFW Video Driver
    5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 free
    10 Intel(r) 82371AB/EB/MB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 Adaptec AVA-2902I/AVA-2902E/AVA-2904/AVA-2910 PCI SCSI
    Controller
    11 ATI Rage 128 VR AGP (English)
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 Intel(r) 82371AB/EB/MB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 Intel(r) 82371AB/EB/MB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

    Ham
    Hambonz, Feb 2, 2004
  7. Hambonz

    Trax Guest

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 20:14:43 +0000, Hambonz <>
    wrote:

    |>Update from OP:
    |>
    |>Thanks to all who replied.
    |>
    |>I was unable to change the IRQ in the BIOS (well I failed to) so I
    |>swapped the network and SCSI cards/slots, and the system is now
    |>looking good.

    Shoot if it works use it.

    SB should of taken 5, 3 and 11 are being shared, while your PS/2 mouse
    sits at 12 (9 is dedicated to it, nothing else can use it).

    note: PS/2 mouse must be plugged into the motherboard to use 9.

    |>For anyone interested the automatic IRQ allocations are:
    |>
    |>0 System timer
    |>1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    |>2 Programmable interrupt controller
    |>3 3Com OfficeConnect NIC (3CSOHO100-TX)
    |>3 Sound Blaster AudioPCI 64V
    |>3 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    |>4 Communications Port (COM1)
    |>5 Hauppauge Win/TV 878/9 Aux Driver
    |>5 Hauppauge Win/TV 878/9 VFW Video Driver
    |>5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    |>6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    |>7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    |>8 System CMOS/real time clock
    |>9 free
    |>10 Intel(r) 82371AB/EB/MB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    |>10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    |>11 Adaptec AVA-2902I/AVA-2902E/AVA-2904/AVA-2910 PCI SCSI
    |>Controller
    |>11 ATI Rage 128 VR AGP (English)
    |>11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    |>12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    |>13 Numeric data processor
    |>14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    |>14 Intel(r) 82371AB/EB/MB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    |>15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    |>15 Intel(r) 82371AB/EB/MB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

    --
    ,,
    ( "> w
    Trax, Feb 3, 2004