IRQ conflict results in beeps and noises while playing mp3s

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by hannes, Jun 12, 2007.

  1. hannes

    hannes Guest

    Hello,

    I love listening to music, but whenever i use my soundcard and my
    harddisk together the music starts to beep, crack or stops for very
    short periods.. It hasn't anything to do with the quality of the music
    (movies and wav files result in the same noises).

    I tried to use 100% of CPU with some nasty calculations and i tried to
    use my memory at a maximum.. but it seems this hasnt anything to do
    with it either..

    So I figured out it may have to do something with my IRQ settings.

    O IRQ 9 9 the following hardware is listed:

    pci - creative audio pci (soundcard)
    pci - realtek rtl8139 (lan)
    pci - via rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (???)
    pci - via rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (???)
    isa - microsoft ACPI compliant system (???)

    what can i do is isolate my soundcard; remove it to another irq or
    something else..??

    Hope you guys can help me..

    Hannes
    hannes, Jun 12, 2007

  2. hannes

    meerkat Guest

    "hannes" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I love listening to music, but whenever i use my soundcard and my
    > harddisk together the music starts to beep, crack or stops for very
    > short periods.. It hasn't anything to do with the quality of the music
    > (movies and wav files result in the same noises).
    >
    > I tried to use 100% of CPU with some nasty calculations and i tried to
    > use my memory at a maximum.. but it seems this hasnt anything to do
    > with it either..
    >
    > So I figured out it may have to do something with my IRQ settings.
    >
    > O IRQ 9 9 the following hardware is listed:
    >
    > pci - creative audio pci (soundcard)
    > pci - realtek rtl8139 (lan)
    > pci - via rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (???)
    > pci - via rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (???)
    > isa - microsoft ACPI compliant system (???)
    >
    > what can i do is isolate my soundcard; remove it to another irq or
    > something else..??

    Creative likes IRQ 5.
    What have you got using 5 ?.
    meerkat, Jun 12, 2007

  3. hannes

    hannes Guest

    On 12 jun, 20:48, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > "hannes" <> wrote in message

    > > Hello,

    > > I love listening to music, but whenever i use my soundcard and my
    > > harddisk together the music starts to beep, crack or stops for very
    > > short periods.. It hasn't anything to do with the quality of the music
    > > (movies and wav files result in the same noises).

    > > I tried to use 100% of CPU with some nasty calculations and i tried to
    > > use my memory at a maximum.. but it seems this hasnt anything to do
    > > with it either..

    > > So I figured out it may have to do something with my IRQ settings.

    > > O IRQ 9 9 the following hardware is listed:

    > > pci - creative audio pci (soundcard)
    > > pci - realtek rtl8139 (lan)
    > > pci - via rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (???)
    > > pci - via rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (???)
    > > isa - microsoft ACPI compliant system (???)

    > > what can i do is isolate my soundcard; remove it to another irq or
    > > something else..??

    > Creative likes IRQ 5.
    > What have you got using 5 ?.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

    irq 5 is empty... how can i change this?
    hannes, Jun 13, 2007
  4. hannes

    meerkat Guest

    "hannes" <> wrote in message
    > On 12 jun, 20:48, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >> "hannes" <> wrote in message

    >> > Hello,

    >> > I love listening to music, but whenever i use my soundcard and my
    >> > harddisk together the music starts to beep, crack or stops for very
    >> > short periods.. It hasn't anything to do with the quality of the music
    >> > (movies and wav files result in the same noises).

    >> > I tried to use 100% of CPU with some nasty calculations and i tried to
    >> > use my memory at a maximum.. but it seems this hasnt anything to do
    >> > with it either..

    >> > So I figured out it may have to do something with my IRQ settings.

    >> > O IRQ 9 9 the following hardware is listed:

    >> > pci - creative audio pci (soundcard)
    >> > pci - realtek rtl8139 (lan)
    >> > pci - via rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (???)
    >> > pci - via rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (???)
    >> > isa - microsoft ACPI compliant system (???)

    >> > what can i do is isolate my soundcard; remove it to another irq or
    >> > something else..??

    >> Creative likes IRQ 5.
    >> What have you got using 5 ?.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet
    >> weergeven -
    >>
    >> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

    > irq 5 is empty... how can i change this?

    Try moving the sound card to a different PCI slot, this should change it's
    IRQ. What os are you using? If 9X you could try setting it manually in
    device manager or in the plug and play section of your BIOS.
    meerkat, Jun 13, 2007
  5. hannes

    hannes Guest

    On 13 jun, 15:49, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > "hannes" <> wrote in message

    > > On 12 jun, 20:48, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > >> "hannes" <> wrote in message

    > >> Creative likes IRQ 5.
    > >> What have you got using 5 ?.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet
    > >> weergeven -

    > >> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

    > > irq 5 is empty... how can i change this?

    > Try moving the sound card to a different PCI slot, this should change it's
    > IRQ. What os are you using? If 9X you could try setting it manually in
    > device manager or in the plug and play section of your BIOS.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

    I'll try this. But I thougt Windows is organising this by itself and
    so moving hardware doesn't influence these settings.
    hannes, Jun 13, 2007
  6. "hannes" <> wrote in message
    > On 13 jun, 15:49, "meerkat" <> wrote:

    >> > irq 5 is empty... how can i change this?

    >> Try moving the sound card to a different PCI slot, this should change
    >> it's
    >> IRQ. What os are you using? If 9X you could try setting it manually in
    >> device manager or in the plug and play section of your BIOS.- Tekst uit
    >> oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -
    >>
    >> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

    > I'll try this. But I thougt Windows is organising this by itself and
    > so moving hardware doesn't influence these settings.

    There may be some switch settings that are overriding the IRQ. Check the
    troubleshooting part of the manual for your soundcard. It's an antiquated
    way of doing things, but depending on how old your components are, they may
    have done this. I don't have Creative soundcard, but have the rest of your
    setup. My Realtek is on IRQ 19 and my USB stuff uses 21. Only my ACPI
    stuff is using 9.

    --
    Brian J. Whiting

    Brian Whiting, Jun 13, 2007
  7. hannes

    hannes Guest

    On 13 jun, 15:49, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > "hannes" <> wrote in message

    > > On 12 jun, 20:48, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > >> "hannes" <> wrote in message

    > >> Creative likes IRQ 5.
    > >> What have you got using 5 ?.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet
    > >> weergeven -

    > >> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

    > > irq 5 is empty... how can i change this?

    > Try moving the sound card to a different PCI slot, this should change it's
    > IRQ. What os are you using? If 9X you could try setting it manually in
    > device manager or in the plug and play section of your BIOS.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

    I tried to move the card.. but it continues to stay at irq 9 while 5
    is empty. What should I do now?
    hannes, Jun 13, 2007
  8. hannes

    hannes Guest

    On 13 jun, 17:59, hannes <> wrote:
    > On 13 jun, 15:49, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >

    > > "hannes" <> wrote in message

    > > > irq 5 is empty... how can i change this?

    > > Try moving the sound card to a different PCI slot, this should change it's
    > > IRQ. What os are you using? If 9X you could try setting it manually in
    > > device manager or in the plug and play section of your BIOS.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

    > > - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

    > I tried to move the card.. but it continues to stay at irq 9 while 5
    > is empty. What should I do now?- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

    I read about changing irq settings in windows XP. But this is only
    possible if you change ACPI driver to standard PC. Then you're able to
    change irq settings in BIOS. Is that right? and would it be a solution
    if i don't have a real irq-conflict according to my computers logs..?
    hannes, Jun 13, 2007
  9. hannes

    Guest

    hannes <> wrote:

    >> > Try moving the sound card to a different PCI slot, this should change it's
    >> > IRQ. What os are you using? If 9X you could try setting it manually in
    >> > device manager or in the plug and play section of your BIOS.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

    >> > - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

    >> I tried to move the card.. but it continues to stay at irq 9 while 5
    >> is empty. What should I do now?- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -
    >>
    >> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

    >I read about changing irq settings in windows XP. But this is only
    >possible if you change ACPI driver to standard PC. Then you're able to
    >change irq settings in BIOS. Is that right? and would it be a solution
    >if i don't have a real irq-conflict according to my computers logs..?

    Start | Run <type in>
    devmgmt.msc
    <enter>

    Goto your sound card, properties and look at the resource tab - if you
    can change the IRQ this is where you would do it.

    Some BIOS allow you to select legacy/PCI for an IRQ change 5 to
    Legacy, then change the IRQ in the properties.

    As Mentioned tho Your sound card should of picked up IRQ 5.

    Some BIOS also allow you to reset the settings, not to default, but to
    reset the hardware as it sees it.
    --

    http://static.flickr.com/81/218257045_101486a26c_o.jpg
    , Jun 13, 2007
  10. hannes

    Plato Guest

    hannes wrote:

    > what can i do is isolate my soundcard; remove it to another irq or
    > something else..??

    Try moving it to another slot on the motherboard. Windows assigns
    resources on the fly, perhaps moving the sound card to another slot will
    free up some resources used by another card on your mobo.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 14, 2007
  11. hannes

    hannes Guest

    On 13 jun, 20:13, wrote:
    > >> I tried to move the card.. but it continues to stay at irq 9 while 5
    > >> is empty. What should I do now?- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

    > >> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

    > >I read about changing irq settings in windows XP. But this is only
    > >possible if you change ACPI driver to standard PC. Then you're able to
    > >change irq settings in BIOS. Is that right? and would it be a solution
    > >if i don't have a real irq-conflict according to my computers logs..?

    > Start | Run <type in>
    > devmgmt.msc
    > <enter>
    >
    > Goto your sound card, properties and look at the resource tab - if you
    > can change the IRQ this is where you would do it.
    >
    > Some BIOS allow you to select legacy/PCI for an IRQ change 5 to
    > Legacy, then change the IRQ in the properties.
    >
    > As Mentioned tho Your sound card should of picked up IRQ 5.
    >
    > Some BIOS also allow you to reset the settings, not to default, but to
    > reset the hardware as it sees it.
    > --
    >
    > http://static.flickr.com/81/218257045_101486a26c_o.jpg

    this resource tab via the device manager won't help. I'm using win Xp
    and this means i cannot control this parameter.

    I'm trying my BIOS again, but i'm not sure what to change.. Let me
    try..
    hannes, Jun 14, 2007
  12. hannes

    hannes Guest

    On 14 jun, 06:54, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
    > hannes wrote:
    >
    > > what can i do is isolate my soundcard; remove it to another irq or
    > > something else..??

    > Try moving it to another slot on the motherboard. Windows assigns
    > resources on the fly, perhaps moving the sound card to another slot will
    > free up some resources used by another card on your mobo.
    >
    > --http://www.bootdisk.com/

    i tried this already, thanks anyway.. It seems all my PCI cards are
    collected in IRQ 9 by windows xp.

    Does anyone know a way to test wether this beeping noise is caused by
    IRQ or something else?

    Hannes
    hannes, Jun 14, 2007
  13. hannes

    hannes Guest

    On 14 jun, 10:00, hannes <> wrote:
    > On 14 jun, 06:54, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
    >
    > > hannes wrote:

    > > > what can i do is isolate my soundcard; remove it to another irq or
    > > > something else..??

    > > Try moving it to another slot on the motherboard. Windows assigns
    > > resources on the fly, perhaps moving the sound card to another slot will
    > > free up some resources used by another card on your mobo.

    > > --http://www.bootdisk.com/

    > i tried this already, thanks anyway.. It seems all my PCI cards are
    > collected in IRQ 9 by windows xp.
    >
    > Does anyone know a way to test wether this beeping noise is caused by
    > IRQ or something else?
    >
    > Hannes

    I tried to change some BIOS settings:

    PCI CONFIGURATION (originally)
    slot 1/5 IRQ [auto]
    slot 2 IRQ [auto]
    slot 3 IRQ [auto]
    slot 4 IRQ [auto]

    i changed this to

    PCI CONFIGURATION (new)
    slot 1/5 IRQ [5]
    slot 2 IRQ [5]
    slot 3 IRQ [5]
    slot 4 IRQ [5]

    I did this to check whether Windows xp listens to BIOS in some way. It
    seems Windows xp doesn't care about this settings: there is no device
    listed on IRQ 5!! all of them are still shared on IRQ 9.

    I tried to define what the symptoms of my problem are and i found out
    something interesting:

    - only while using the soundcard (media player/winamp/movie etc)
    in combination with:
    - accessing files (copying, searching, listing directories) from my F
    disk.
    or
    - skipping songs in my playlist (playlist comes form F disk)
    or
    - when somebody else copies songs from my shared folder (also F disk)
    (over LAN)
    or
    - when playing songs from my C disk while using disk F in some heavy
    way (searching, copying, listing of big folders)

    So.. it has something to do with disk F i guess...

    Any ideas? Or should i start a new topic?
    hannes, Jun 14, 2007
  14. hannes

    Guest

    hannes <> wrote:

    >> Goto your sound card, properties and look at the resource tab - if you
    >> can change the IRQ this is where you would do it.

    >this resource tab via the device manager won't help. I'm using win Xp
    >and this means i cannot control this parameter.

    If there was a problem, it would allow you to change a parameter (Home
    or Pro).

    --

    Caught by the camera...
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=52qjv51
  15. hannes

    Plato Guest

    hannes wrote:

    > > > what can i do is isolate my soundcard; remove it to another irq or
    > > > something else..??

    > > Try moving it to another slot on the motherboard. Windows assigns
    > > resources on the fly, perhaps moving the sound card to another slot will
    > > free up some resources used by another card on your mobo.
    > >
    > > --http://www.bootdisk.com/

    > i tried this already, thanks anyway.. It seems all my PCI cards are
    > collected in IRQ 9 by windows xp.

    The new windows really likes to assign "most everything" to IRQ 9. NO
    easy way to get around it.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 16, 2007